Are you worried about attendances?

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

The attendance thing is totally a RL problem, i have just about got a ticket for the next Kent CCC match with the attendance reduced to 4000.

We have a problem and it needs addressing even my Step 5 non league football club attendances have nearly doubled.

London Broncos down to 250 says it all.

SL and the entire game needs a revamp NOW.

Paul

There's absolutely no point whatsoever including London Broncos in this conversation, their attendances have nothing to do with covid or any wider issues in the sport. That horse is dead, it's just waiting for someone to find the bolt gun.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

6 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

There's absolutely no point whatsoever including London Broncos in this conversation, their attendances have nothing to do with covid or any wider issues in the sport. That horse is dead, it's just waiting for someone to find the bolt gun.

You say that but we haven't worn a blue and yellow kit in front of some disinterested AFCW fans yet.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

26 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

You say that but we haven't worn a blue and yellow kit in front of some disinterested AFCW fans yet.

I was going to laugh at this comment, but it's too sad to do that. And yet I don't feel a great sadness, I think I'm passed that point. A bit angry, perhaps, but even then...

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

17 hours ago, Damien said:

I honestly don't think all of the postponed games help one bit in RL. There has been a lack of continuity and a lot of people just seem to have lost interest in the season.

That's a great point, as it turns out I've managed to get to most of Giants away games, but there's always that feeling that should I book trains or arrange an overnight stay somewhere, the game could get binned off anyway.

It's a factor, definitely.

1 hour ago, meast said:

Possibly also overseas ticket holders who couldn't or wouldn't risk the travel?

That hadn’t occurred to me but I think is a really good point.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 07/08/2021 at 03:22, ATLANTISMAN said:

I am a big follower of the CFL (Who kicked off on Thursday 2 months later than normal) and just checked the CFL website www.cfl.ca to see how the attendances held up as obviously nothing has happened for nearly 2 years i expected a massive fall off in interest.

Over 29000 on Thursday at Winnipeg and 33500 in Regina to watch the Roughriders with Calgary and Edmonton at home today and Sunday I would not be surprised given the attendances at the first 2 matches that Calgary will hit 30000 and Edmonton 30/35000 so week one will be around 120/125000 which is incredible crowds that we can only dream of.

So certainly covid seems to have had zero effect in Canada.

I am starting to feel that this is a rugby league problem and nothing to do with covid.

Paul

I see that all the matches in the first two weeks were in the CFL's prairie heartland cities, i.e. Winnipeg, Regina, Edmonton and Calgary and the average was 26,539.  Comparing with the first eight matches played in those cities in 2019, that's an increase of 351 per match.  What happens when they start playing in British Columbia and the east where the league is weakest remains to be seen.

18 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

I see that all the matches in the first two weeks were in the CFL's prairie heartland cities, i.e. Winnipeg, Regina, Edmonton and Calgary and the average was 26,539.  Comparing with the first eight matches played in those cities in 2019, that's an increase of 351 per match.  What happens when they start playing in British Columbia and the east where the league is weakest remains to be seen.

I expect around 18/20000 at BC Ottawa the usual 23000 Montreal 18/20000 Toronto 15000 and Hamilton 23000 for the first matches.

Still not bad at all.

Paul

On 14/08/2021 at 20:50, Josef K said:

I was given a free ticket today to watch Man United v Leeds, (my brother and his mates are season ticket holders) but my bro was given a freebie. You’d have thought that it would’ve been a sell out with Man Utd having a billion fan’s and Leeds having three billion fan’s (which a billion were outside before & during the game) but it wasn’t a sell out. I was surprised that there were empty seats.
Would i go again if i was offered another freebie probably not, especially against Leeds they are dreadful. The game was over after 64mins, the atmosphere was great at times but there was stages when it was so quite you could hear someone fart(that was a real wwi gas attack whoever dropped it). 
I don’t know why it wasn’t a sell out but perhaps Covid has even affected football fan’s who either are wary about going, or just haven’t got the cash anymore to watch the Premier League. 

Ticket exchanges were getting £250 a ticket! That's not gonna happen if you can just go online and buy a regular priced one. I had use of a MUFC membership number to try get a ticket, but they were instantly unavailable on the day of sale and only £150 corp-lite tickets were available (the padded ones that cost £20 at a GF)

On 15/08/2021 at 11:47, ATLANTISMAN said:

I expect around 18/20000 at BC Ottawa the usual 23000 Montreal 18/20000 Toronto 15000 and Hamilton 23000 for the first matches.

Still not bad at all.

Paul

Ontario is capped at 15k, and just scrapped plans to further open up, so the Cats will max at that, and I think that's higher than the average for the Argos so if they max it's a good sign.

On 14/08/2021 at 17:49, meast said:

24,738 at Sheff Wed in the 3rd division.

Seems there's no issues with football crowds going back.

There's a lot of gullible fools there.  The supporters are very loyal and they ought to be more successful than they have been, given the support they get, but it's nearly a hundred years since they won the Championship.

46000+ to watch the Boxing Day derby in 1979.  A record for Division Three.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

3 hours ago, TheReaper said:

Ontario is capped at 15k, and just scrapped plans to further open up, so the Cats will max at that, and I think that's higher than the average for the Argos so if they max it's a good sign.

Didn't know Ontario was capped.

BC have to target some of that asian  market (Paramatta Ells have done that very well in Sydney) Toronto Argos its a shame they are at the new place the skydome was much better it can get pretty windy there come early winter:(

Paul

39 minutes ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

Newcastle attendance was 75% bradford. 

Maybe short sighted of clubs to go for 27 rounds. Yes they've got revenue for one extra home game, but the knock on impact of midweek games probably means they lose that in walk ups. 

So they got 1600+ for the Whitehaven home game and 70% of those fans simply disappeared a couple of weeks later and were replaced by 1000-1500 Bull fans? Love it!

18 hours ago, Griff said:

There's a lot of gullible fools there.  The supporters are very loyal and they ought to be more successful than they have been, given the support they get, but it's nearly a hundred years since they won the Championship.

46000+ to watch the Boxing Day derby in 1979.  A record for Division Three.

If you look at Wednesday's historic averages though, they're generally around the mid 20,000's, our crowds don't go up or down by much compared to other clubs in the region, they certainly are loyal, some would say gullible too.

Since the mid 80's our average crowds have only dipped below 20,000 three times, 1987-88, 2000-01 and 2010-11, on the other hand, we've never averaged over 30,000, nearest we came was 1992-93 with an average of 29,560.

Our biggest % drop was in 2010-11, our average dropped by 23.7% as we we relegated to the 3rd tier for the first time since the mid 70's

Our biggest % rise was by 27% in 1991-92.

Compare that to, say, Leeds Utd who dropped from 39,700 to 22,000 within 3 years of relegation from the Premier League and saw their averages go from 22,000 in 2016 to back up to over 36,000 in 2020, or Huddersfield Town, who saw a massive 61% increase in 2017!

Anyway, back on to RL......

I think someone summed it up last weekend when they said, people stopped going to RL and haven't missed it, yet people seemingly couldn't wait to get back to football and cricket etc.

9 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Didn't know Ontario was capped.

BC have to target some of that asian  market (Paramatta Ells have done that very well in Sydney) Toronto Argos its a shame they are at the new place the skydome was much better it can get pretty windy there come early winter:(

Paul

I'm the total opposite, I like BMO way better. Perpendicular stands and way closer to the right size. I can dress for the weather no problem.

11 hours ago, meast said:

I

I think someone summed it up last weekend when they said, people stopped going to RL and haven't missed it, yet people seemingly couldn't wait to get back to football and cricket etc.

Unfortunately I fall into this category but this has not been helped by the dross served up by Widnes this season. It was an early write off for me. Maybe next season with a new squad may spark my interest again.

6 hours ago, TheReaper said:

I'm the total opposite, I like BMO way better. Perpendicular stands and way closer to the right size. I can dress for the weather no problem.

Ahhh thats the Canadian spirit:)

I will check their website later see whats going on and all the latest promises from Mr Pinball:)

Paul

Archived