Are you worried about attendances?

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

The game isn't *suddenly* dying,it doesn't work like that. Things get worse, you convince yourself that it's just a blip or that it will come good. Then before you know it, it's am irrelevance as most of the fan base have drifted off.

Using poor crowds from 2019 is not a good argument and frankly, if the game on the pitch was as good as you are insisting, then crowds and interest would not be evaporating. 

Please don't reply as I'm done with this argument, we'll see what happens. 

I'll reply if I want 😉

Yes lets leave it because for whatever reason you're arguing against things you are thinking people are saying not what they are actually saying.

I don't think you understood the point I was making with the 2019 crowd but anyway, its better than making scenarios up as an argument 😉

24 minutes ago, M j M said:

Are we reaching the bottom of the barrel for things to whinge about now?

Are you new to RL? It's a big barrel.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

12 hours ago, snoopdog said:

Showcasing our biggest fixtures on a Wednesday and Thursday night , you couldn't make it up.

3 rounds of games in 10 days followed by the magic round 5 days later,dread to think how some of the teams will look & the quality of the games will be.

12 hours ago, snoopdog said:

Showcasing our biggest fixtures on a Wednesday and Thursday night , you couldn't make it up.

You're right.

Playing midweek has been the death of football's Champions League. You never hear about it any more.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

20 hours ago, lucky 7 said:

Some people are using Covid as excuse for the low crowds this season while other sports don't appear to be showing the decline in crowds our sport has. Unless the RFL and Super League can come up with a plan which will pique interest in the game from the disaffected fans they will not return. 

Once we could go to games we didn't bother and continued to watch on TV, then as the full restrictions were lifted and all looked OK we have been to a few games live. We didn't get season tickets of course which kind of commit one to regular attendance. 

Of course the drop in crowds has been driven by covid, and of course with the habit broken not everyone will be back this year.  For us we will be getting season tickets next season and getting back to "normal" with a return to a full intensive competition and hopefully players not missing so many games due to COVID

If anything the absence of being able to go to live events including music concerts, theatre etc will make people's hearts grow fonder and make going to live entertainment safely again is a must for 2022. We've lived the misery of staying indoors watching TV so we will be at more live events in the future. So will most people I know.....

On 24/08/2021 at 20:19, The Future is League said:

Next season will tell us the whole story and fans won't have any excuses for not going to games, but some will excuses

Fans/ customers/ potential sponsors etc shouldn't need or look for excuses.

It should be up to the clubs and the sport itself to give them REASONS to want to part with their money and leisure time.

This to me is the problem with RL, it, we, expect people to just keep attending and chucking money at it because we are RL fans without giving us much for our money in the last few years and the product on and off the field has declined immensely IMO, you wouldn't keep going and doing shopping from Tesco if the products was pants and you felt you weren't getting value for money, so why should RL fans do it?

35 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Has anyone put up the averages on here as so we have comparables.

I suspect, if we go back far enough the most shocking aspect won't be top flight but the loss of second and third tier crowds which never recovered from the trauma of 1995.

11 minutes ago, M j M said:

I suspect, if we go back far enough the most shocking aspect won't be top flight but the loss of second and third tier crowds which never recovered from the trauma of 1995.

The trauma of 1995?

To which trauma are you referring?

13 minutes ago, M j M said:

Thing is If think the Second Tier is the most exciting and strongest it's been for years. I'd say support wise too. Toulouse, Feb and Bradford have had regular attendances over 2000. Halifax, York and Widnes too have achieved them. Thats nigh on half the division. 

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

3 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Thing is If think the Second Tier is the most exciting and strongest it's been for years. I'd say support wise too. Toulouse, Feb and Bradford have had regular attendances over 2000. Halifax, York and Widnes too have achieved them. Thats nigh on half the division. 

I'd guess that every club in Super League, apart from maybe Wigan and Leeds average bigger crowds now than pre SL, some by quite a margin. And pretty much all the rest lower.

That's not a comment on what we do next with the lower leagues but I do think it's informative about what happens when you tell a section of your fan base to get lost which is how thousands of fans felt - and some still do - about "$uper Greed".

4 minutes ago, M j M said:

I'd guess that every club in Super League, apart from maybe Wigan and Leeds average bigger crowds now than pre SL, some by quite a margin. And pretty much all the rest lower.

That's not a comment on what we do next with the lower leagues but I do think it's informative about what happens when you tell a section of your fan base to get lost which is how thousands of fans felt - and some still do - about "$uper Greed".

Personally I'd leave the lower leagues as they are.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

14 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Clubs not being promoted as in Keighley and Batley I assume.

This is an interesting point, and one which hasn't received many column inches on this forum.

When ''political'' decisions are made (like the one we are facing very soon) which result in some clubs, being snubbed, or marginalised, or forced into a mergers or told they just aren't ''big enough'' or ''glamorous enough'', to be promoted, then deep wounds are inflicted on the fans of said clubs and those wounds fester, leading to lifelong resentment towards the game as a whole.

Even if they continue to support their own town team (say) they might decide not to go to Wembley for example, out of spite. Then they take every opportunity, (moreso in this age of social media) to decry the game at every opportunity.

Remember how bitter parksider was?

I think we might grossly underestimate the damage this kind of dog eat dog decision making causes.

It's about time we stood together as a family, to face the world, like the 300 Spartans. 

Just now, Mumby Magic said:

Personally I'd leave the lower leagues as they are.

I totally agree. And certainly not casting them or some of them adrift as some suggestions have it. That was deadly wrong when it was done to Nottingham, Chorley and Blackpool and it would be wrong now.

1 hour ago, meast said:

Fans/ customers/ potential sponsors etc shouldn't need or look for excuses.

It should be up to the clubs and the sport itself to give them REASONS to want to part with their money and leisure time.

This to me is the problem with RL, it, we, expect people to just keep attending and chucking money at it because we are RL fans without giving us much for our money in the last few years and the product on and off the field has declined immensely IMO, you wouldn't keep going and doing shopping from Tesco if the products was pants and you felt you weren't getting value for money, so why should RL fans do it?

They should do, but they do.

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

You're right.

Playing midweek has been the death of football's Champions League. You never hear about it any more.

Your right I've never watched a champions League midweek for years.

Archived