Are you worried about attendances?

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

We have long , long threads on here about image and perception of RL , Leeds should have sacrificed a couple of corporate boxes and put the cameras facing their most occupied , atmospheric part of the stadium , what's all the posts we see about short term gain , grabbing every little penny at the cost of genuine long term growth 

That's all , oh and at least we supply all our fans , both home and away with a roof 👍

You haven't bothered, despite it being explained, to even try and understand the logistical impracticalities of having the gantry in that stand, as far away as possible from the Sky trucks. I won't bother explaining it again.

29 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

That is a bit of a sad compromise that had to be made really.

These types of seats always look thin in the second half at every sport. That said most grounds don't focus 90% of these seats right in front of the TV camera shot however. Wembley gets/got criticism regularly for being empty in the blocks immediately surrounding the tunnel (which is on Camera) for most events held there.

As a consequence of the camera placement at Headingley, I've not really ever been able to tell how well the seats at the top of the South stand do by comparison. These were always a bit of an odd move as I saw it - as it weakened both North and South stands. But perhaps its affecting the North Stand more in terms of the sparse crowds there?

Undoubtedly there is so much revenue to be made from the corporate at Headingley. From a financial point of view its a no brainer. I just hope they can now focus on us normies in the rest of the ground soon.

yep, agree, although I sometimes get the opportunity of the corporate and I must say it is excellent. 

I guess the corporate/hospitality revenue puts them in a good stead and enables them to position the pricing better for as you say the normies... well it gives them the chance to adjust other pricing and to invest in facilities.  

Having said that they could do with investing for better facilities/food options for us normies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M j M said:

You haven't bothered, despite it being explained, to even try and understand the logistical impracticalities of having the gantry in that stand, as far away as possible from the Sky trucks. I won't bother explaining it again.

Do you have a cable tube under the pitch ?

2 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

I reckon we could get close to that on Friday.

Hopefully. I think it would probably need a good travelling support popping over from Cas to break 14k. I think the ground has only seen 14k twice since the refurb, although there's only been maybe a dozen games

Apprently Leeds United will only have 8,000 matchday tickets available next season (assuming 100% capacity). There will be 50-60k members scrabbling around for them. Leeds RL should approach them and ask if they can advertise in the virtual waiting room or on the sold out pages. There are likely to be tens of thousands of dissapointed people looking to attend live sport in Leeds looking on those pages at least 19 times next season. Got to stick the RL under their noses. TBF Wakey and Cas would be well advised to do the same

Edited by Gorbals
  • Like 2

Clubs in SL punching above their weight for crowds are Hull KR and Cas (2019). Underperforming: Wakey Wigan and Salford. 

Championship: Fev doing well. Widnes holding up after some nightmare years. Underperforming: Fax and Bulls because of our hole. Broncos are practically dead at this point .

We need a World Cup and to absolutely hammer the season tickets for 2022. 

10 hours ago, Marauder said:

Not watched them, but I bet I could predict the pattern of play in both games.

They were both belters... Jesus if you do watch them and don't like them then maybe league isn't for you..... There is a close relative of the game with more "variety" in game play - give that a try

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco

10 hours ago, M j M said:

Extension leads? 

I think we are once again guilty of over-thinking stuff like this. People watching on TV know that often the seats facing the cameras is a main stand that houses corporate facilities and are used to seeing empty seats. 

In fact people are just usdd to seeing empty seats and just crack on. I think Sky have portrayed the games at Leeds and Wire as lively fun atmospheres with fans really enjoying themselves, despite crowds being low. 

The only one that looks really bad to me is Salford, which is an oddly designed stadium. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think we are once again guilty of over-thinking stuff like this. People watching on TV know that often the seats facing the cameras is a main stand that houses corporate facilities and are used to seeing empty seats. 

In fact people are just usdd to seeing empty seats and just crack on. I think Sky have portrayed the games at Leeds and Wire as lively fun atmospheres with fans really enjoying themselves, despite crowds being low. 

The only one that looks really bad to me is Salford, which is an oddly designed stadium. 

In the original plan for the Salford stadium it was going to be 20/30k with stands as big as the main stand, I don’t think there was enough money in the end so that’s why it’s ended up with considerably smaller stands on the other sides

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I agree that it's possible to overthink but, all things being even, you want to have fans in front of the camera.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

26 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I don't think people are as obsessed with watching the stands as many on this forum, changing the design of Headingley and adding a lot of cost just so the cameras face the south stand would be madness, the corporate facilities at Headingley bring in a lot of revenue, the south stand gets plenty of camera coverage during the the game.

the North Stand will look fine when crowds get back to something like, and it is clearly the Covid issue that's affecting crowds.

Take Fridays game against Castleford, who knows it might get cancelled, this makes it difficult for the club to overly promote the game and equally if not more so why would supporters buy tickets or plan early of there's a chance it might not go ahead.

Next year is the real test and unfortunately the World Cup could (still could) have had a massive boost in crowds next year.

• Thanks 1

Attendances have always been a worry for me, even when we had a fast, action packed entertaining sport full of razzmatazz they were never that big barring the top 3 or 4.

Now we have a monotonous robotic game that gets it's structure, it's rules, it's operations changed so regularly fans can't keep up with it.

Obviously add a world wide pandemic and a general population who have got used to not doing anything in and it's all a recipe for disaster.

Thr whole game needs stripping back to the barebones and starting again, preferably with new people and new ideas coming in to freshen things up.

I don't think it helps this year with fans only allowed back in for half of the season and a lot of games being cancelled or played on weeknights a lot have probably just wrote this one off or can't see the point this year and will probably start again next year.

What effect covid19 has had on attendances,  such as are some   people simply not bothered about going to live sport, or are they put off by having to prove their double jab status, or is money simply too tight, lots of folks have lost jobs. These questions may be answered to some degree when The EFL and EPL returns. If they suffer a drop off then it's not just a RL thing, but if they don't see a reduction then that's a different situation altogether. 

53 minutes ago, Dave T said:

And Wigan...and Huddersfield and Wakey...

I think this is a smoke screen about simply fans will come back when they are ready. If we see in a couple of weeks that football crowds are back to previous levels and cricket crowds continue as they are, then we cannot kick this hesitancy idea around for much longer and think that it only applies to RL. Revenue is revenue and excuses are excuses.

10 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Clubs in SL punching above their weight for crowds are Hull KR and Cas (2019). Underperforming: Wakey Wigan and Salford. 

Championship: Fev doing well. Widnes holding up after some nightmare years. Underperforming: Fax and Bulls because of our hole. Broncos are practically dead at this point .

We need a World Cup and to absolutely hammer the season tickets for 2022. 

Could it be because of our executive boxes? 😜

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-post-office-road-terracing-big-fellas-stadium-https://featherstone-rovers-71224212.html

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

I think this is a smoke screen about simply fans will come back when they are ready. If we see in a couple of weeks that football crowds are back to previous levels and cricket crowds continue as they are, then we cannot kick this hesitancy idea around for much longer and think that it only applies to RL. Revenue is revenue and excuses are excuses.

The difference is their season (the football) is starting after the restrictions, we have had restrictions or no crowds for pretty much a season and a half, its not an excuse it's an explanation and has to be figured into the reasons for poor crowds at present.

Does the game need to do more to attract fans 100% yes has the Pandemic had an impact on the crowds now 100% yes, they aren't mutually exclusive.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I agree that it's possible to overthink but, all things being even, you want to have fans in front of the camera.

Of course you do, but it's not unusual for cameras to face a 'main' stand. Often an aesthetically pleasing stand, but not necessarily the most busy. 

Leeds have a smaller capacity in that stand now so there was no reason to believe it would look poor, obviously they have new seats elsewhere now. But that'll settle down and Leeds looks good.

Same with Saints and Wire - the stands don't look full, but they look better than being pointed at terracing. If that terracing isn't full it looks rubbish. 

The challenge is just as simple as trying to fill every space every time, pointing cameras at a different stand isn't a great solution. 

I think there is a case for some clubs in large grounds to think where they seat people, but it's not a massive issue. 

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Refusing to accept context doesn't mean that there is none. 

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

And Wigan...and Huddersfield and Wakey...

But they are not really configuration issues, they are too big for the teams. 

But I'd argue there are few better sights and atmospheres than a large crowd in Wigan's ground. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Refusing to accept context doesn't mean that there is none. 

All other sports have had context though too. However, if we are the only ones using this excuse in a few months time then it is no longer contextual - it is the sport.

Just now, Scubby said:

All other sports have had context though too. However, if we are the only ones using this excuse in a few months time then it is no longer contextual - it is the sport.

Of course it's contextual, our season started with no crowds, restricted crowds then no restrictions but cancelled games due to covid.

Even in a few months time all that has to be factored into the attendances, take Season Tickets for example, there was obviously going to be a drop in sales when people didn't have a clue how many games they would be able to attend or when, pay per game tickets, not knowing whether the game will actually go ahead will obviously affect walk ups.

You can't just say well look football is getting good attendances so the Sport of RL is all wrong, it's far too much of a simplistic view.

As Ive stated this is not a head burying exercise, we have to do more to get crowds in but just dismissing the huge impact the Covid situation has had on the sport could just eat to making rash decisions about the sport and trying to fix things that aren't broken - despite what is said on here the game is still highly entertaining and we still have some of the best athletes in any sport taking the field every week.

• Thanks 1

To go back to the original question. Yes I am.

But there are plenty of other things that I worry about in rugby league to an equal or possibly higher level. 

Participation, structures, broadcasting, reliance on gambling sponsorship, dis-harmony with the southern hemisphere, failure to expand out of the historical heartlands and so on...

I want to be positive about the game because I love what happens on the park each week. 

However, there is always some drama going on behind the scenes that spills out into the public domain to cause negativity.