Swinton (H)

Wakefield Ram

I'm hoping for a win and if we play well we should win against a team without a win but Swinton will be seeing this as a chance to get their 1st win. But they are coming off the back of a heavy defeat at York and we have had a weekend off so hopefully a few more players available.

Rams 26 Swinton 18

4 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

I'm hoping for a win and if we play well we should win against a team without a win but Swinton will be seeing this as a chance to get their 1st win. But they are coming off the back of a heavy defeat at York and we have had a weekend off so hopefully a few more players available.

Rams 26 Swinton 18

I’m sorry but if we can’t beat a team that have lost all their league games on our own ground then we do have problems.

Rams 18 Swinton 10

2 hours ago, graham fisher said:

I’m sorry but if we can’t beat a team that have lost all their league games on our own ground then we do have problems.

Rams 18 Swinton 10

I guess it depends whether the coach picks the team to go out and win it or picks the team not to lose....big difference for me

24 minutes ago, LeagueConvert said:

I guess it depends whether the coach picks the team to go out and win it or picks the team not to lose....big difference for me

Given the size of our squad and missing players I don't see ow there could be such two options available - please explain.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Given the size of our squad and missing players I don't see ow there could be such two options available - please explain.

Fair point, but if you see the team l suggested in my previous post its more about where you play the resources you have. For example our right side leaks tries and is frequently targeted by the opposition. Play flemming or sykes there and you plug the hole potentially. Added to that, the benefit of having sykes there means thay your young half backs have the chance to express themselves whilst having on field guidance. Not suggesting anything radical just using the current resouces in a different way. Swinton will be well prepared for sykes and finn in the halves. Doing something different puts them on the back foot from minute one. Just a thought

4 minutes ago, LeagueConvert said:

Fair point, but if you see the team l suggested in my previous post its more about where you play the resources you have. For example our right side leaks tries and is frequently targeted by the opposition. Play flemming or sykes there and you plug the hole potentially. Added to that, the benefit of having sykes there means thay your young half backs have the chance to express themselves whilst having on field guidance. Not suggesting anything radical just using the current resouces in a different way. Swinton will be well prepared for sykes and finn in the halves. Doing something different puts them on the back foot from minute one. Just a thought

I see your point. the right side defence isn't simply a function of the centre/wing partnership but also reflects which half is on that side as well as the second rower who should be bolstering it. Our pack gets drawn into the ruck area too easily and recovers too slowly to give wide cover against a team that moves the ball quickly.

I would hope that Smith is available again to give us some options but he has been carrying an injury, hence the limitations there. Fleming is a very solid centre and, in my view, wasted at full back. Oakes has also done well in the centres.

May I say, however, that in spite of your earlier post you are focussing on defence. Isn't this setting the team up not to lose as distinct from going out to win?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Just now, Blind side johnny said:

I see your point. the right side defence isn't simply a function of the centre/wing partnership but also reflects which half is on that side as well as the second rower who should be bolstering it. Our pack gets drawn into the ruck area too easily and recovers too slowly to give wide cover against a team that moves the ball quickly.

I would hope that Smith is available again to give us some options but he has been carrying an injury, hence the limitations there. Fleming is a very solid centre and, in my view, wasted at full back. Oakes has also done well in the centres.

May I say, however, that in spite of your earlier post you are focussing on defence. Isn't this setting the team up not to lose as distinct from going out to win?

Actually l was suggesting shoring up the defence whilst giving the halve the chance to run at the line and not losing the experience of Sykes for example. l understand your comments about defensive setup and totally agree with your point about flemming being wasted at fullback, although to be fair his positional understanding is outstanding

15 hours ago, LeagueConvert said:

I would say it's more the tactics about trying not to lose. 5 drives and a mostly unchallenged kick or the set move passing to full back is too predictable. Our Points For says it all. But on the plus side, if we win on Sunday, it will just about end any relegation worries. 

Who knows we might even try a grubber kick to force a drop out or even the short chip by the posts which got a couple of tries early in the season or a kick to Gabriel's corner given his catching ability. Or have 2 forwards running together. 

27 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

I would say it's more the tactics about trying not to lose. 5 drives and a mostly unchallenged kick or the set move passing to full back is too predictable. Our Points For says it all. But on the plus side, if we win on Sunday, it will just about end any relegation worries. 

Who knows we might even try a grubber kick to force a drop out or even the short chip by the posts which got a couple of tries early in the season or a kick to Gabriel's corner given his catching ability. Or have 2 forwards running together. 

You don't want a lot do you 😂

As previously said, there is no good reason why we shouldn't be celebrating only our second home victory of the season. After a long lay-off I would hope to see a strong and fit side out for us on Sunday in front of a large appreciative crowd.

Rams 28 - 14 Lions

FTS: Oakes

Att: 890

4 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

As previously said, there is no good reason why we shouldn't be celebrating only our second home victory of the season. After a long lay-off I would hope to see a strong and fit side out for us on Sunday in front of a large appreciative crowd.

Rams 28 - 14 Lions

FTS: Oakes

Att: 890

I once had a similar dream a few years ago...

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

You’d like to think after a long rest the players will be raring to go out there and try and restore pride after the Batley debacle. Swinton have sacked their head coach, so god knows what mindset their lads will have. 

Win this and you’d be 99% sure of staying up. Lose it and there will be some very uncomfortable weekends ahead. 

I wonder if Swinton will be revitalised now that coach Stuart Littler has departed, or will they be further in the dumps? Come Sunday, we will have some idea. 
it’s an absolute must that we win for the following reasons:

a) to boost morale

b) to stave off relegation 

c) to keep pace with the likes of Newcastle and Whitehaven (hoping for a draw there), plus Sheffield, Widnes and York and

d) to avoid the ignominy of Swinton gaining their first league victory.

I would like to think that our attack clicks into gear (ha ha) and our defence is superb (unlikely), but Swinton against us in the past at our ground have spoilt things for us.

Dewsbury 24-20 Swinton

FTS: Fleming

MoM: Knowles

Att: 783

Legs, Dews, Legs.

15 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

I wonder if Swinton will be revitalised now that coach Stuart Littler has departed, or will they be further in the dumps? Come Sunday, we will have some idea. 
it’s an absolute must that we win for the following reasons:

a) to boost morale

b) to stave off relegation 

c) to keep pace with the likes of Newcastle and Whitehaven (hoping for a draw there), plus Sheffield, Widnes and York and

d) to avoid the ignominy of Swinton gaining their first league victory.

I would like to think that our attack clicks into gear (ha ha) and our defence is superb (unlikely), but Swinton against us in the past at our ground have spoilt things for us.

Dewsbury 24-20 Swinton

FTS: Fleming

MoM: Knowles

Att: 783

Can't argue with any of that

Sunday is massive

I'm expecting defeat, and hoping for a win. 

If there is team changes.. And there will be for sure😉😉

Victory will see us over the line and we will not relegated in a season that's been so disjointed more than any for all teams. 

If Swinton don't win this week 🤞🤞

I'm confident they will beat Oldham next week... And Swintons losing streak will end then and not on Yorkshire day on Sunday. 

6 minutes ago, Moscow01 said:

18-4 up and cruising and lose it on the last play of the game. Not good enough. Oldham nearly beat London as well. Something needs to change. 

Genuine question. 

What happened? Did you just stop playing or what? 

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

18-4 up, Swinton down to 12 men, penalty in front of the posts. Kick the goal, get to 20-4, ball back from the ko? No, go for they try, fail, Sykes gives away a stupid penalty, gets binned, Swinton score twice 18-16. Margin gives away stupid penalty in front of the posts 18-18. Charged down kick on last play, we can't fall on a ball, Swinton kick through and score. Embarrassingly bad, we are the worst team in the Championship, at risk of relegation and with only 1 game left this season where we have a remote chance of winning.

35 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

1 game left this season where we have a remote chance of winning.

And don't think for 1 minute that's the Oldham game... They'll be favourites against us🤔

We've really got to kick this habit of not scoring in the 2nd half

If not I surgest the players stay on the field at half time, have no input from Lee and sort it out amongst themselves cos something is not working at halftime 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

well i was looking for the Highlights from your game, but could not find video..

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" ....Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865..

Archived