Luke Gale

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The many reasons still in club folklore as to why the great Jeff Stevenson left the club and signed for York at the height of his career then went on to Capt GB to our last Ashes home win . 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

1 hour ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

The many reasons still in club folklore as to why the great Jeff Stevenson left the club and signed for York at the height of his career then went on to Capt GB to our last Ashes home win . 

I was at Headingley 1959 in the South Stand.G.B were losing but had a scrum near the Aussies line just to the left of the sticks at the terraced end.Stevenson put the ball in we won it and he picked it up and went towards the line but flipped out a back pass to loose forward Johnny Whiteley who went under the posts,goal kicked and we won 11-10.Don Robinson and Neil Fox scored the other tries.

1 hour ago, sentoffagain2 said:

I was at Headingley 1959 in the South Stand.G.B were losing but had a scrum near the Aussies line just to the left of the sticks at the terraced end.Stevenson put the ball in we won it and he picked it up and went towards the line but flipped out a back pass to loose forward Johnny Whiteley who went under the posts,goal kicked and we won 11-10.Don Robinson and Neil Fox scored the other tries.

Was Luke Gale a young ballboy at the game or something? 

8 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Was Luke Gale a young ballboy at the game or something? 

Post above mine mentioned former Leeds  and GB  Scrum Half Jeff Stevenson who also had a falling out at Headingley.I thought you might me more intelligent than than your reply but obviously not.Forget our sports heritage and we may as well all pack it in.

7 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Post above mine mentioned former Leeds  and GB  Scrum Half Jeff Stevenson who also had a falling out at Headingley.I thought you might me more intelligent than than your reply but obviously not.Forget our sports heritage and we may as well all pack it in.

The point was obvious to the rest of us, there's no hope for some posters.

My uncle still occasionally talks about Stevenson, who should have been part of the great, first title-winning Leeds team but left in this cloud of mystery a year or so beforehand.

57 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

The only mistake you made was in replying to that imbecilic troll.

2 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Eh??

Sorry - I have no idea what you are talking about. 

Really ? People are coming up with " what Luke Did ? Just like they are still coming up with theories of what " Stivvy " did to cause him to leave the club . I assume you have heard of Jeff Stevenson and him leaving abruptly? 

FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

2 hours ago, M j M said:

The point was obvious to the rest of us, there's no hope for some posters.

My uncle still occasionally talks about Stevenson, who should have been part of the great, first title-winning Leeds team but left in this cloud of mystery a year or so beforehand.

Yes and it was said at the time he was bound for Wigan  but went to "lowly " York . One of the theories was he had a real verbal at Ken Dalby team manager who was a devout Christian.  

JAMIE PEACOCK

9 hours ago, M j M said:

This is one of the better "What Gale did" memey things.

Some even appear to have fallen for it.

So what’s he done?  I was told it was strongly disagreeing with Agars tactics and wouldn’t let it go.  What’s the truth?

9 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

So what’s he done?  I was told it was strongly disagreeing with Agars tactics and wouldn’t let it go.  What’s the truth?

According to some quotes from him that I've seen reported, he's disagreed with Agar very strongly in a video review session and then stormed off and not done the field training session after. This he describes as "unprofessional".

In all honesty, I'm not actually too upset about Gale not being captain. I've never been convinced by him as captain as well as leading halfback and found him a bit gobby at times. Personally I think Martin or Prior make sense - partly because of a dearth of other options beyond a young player punt.

15 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Please click on the link to read because our local newspaper has the exclusive and deserves the hits -

Luke Gale: Gutted to lose Leeds Rhinos captaincy but I was wrong and it is time to move on from week to forget

However, in brief, he both talked back at Agar and refused to train afterwards. Losing the captaincy and being dropped for one game is pretty mild in my view.

6 minutes ago, M j M said:

Please click on the link to read because our local newspaper has the exclusive and deserves the hits -

Luke Gale: Gutted to lose Leeds Rhinos captaincy but I was wrong and it is time to move on from week to forget

However, in brief, he both talked back at Agar and refused to train afterwards. Losing the captaincy and being dropped for one game is pretty mild in my view.

Shows no respect for the coach.  

Wow that is disappointingly bland. Was hoping the Myler rumour had something in it, imagined both players trying to pull hair whilst screaming for a penalty.

Leeds have dealt with this in the right way for me. Not sure it is for Gale to say what happened but I assume he discussed this with the club and with all these rumours, he clearly felt the time was right to give his side of the story. 

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

According to some quotes from him that I've seen reported, he's disagreed with Agar very strongly in a video review session and then stormed off and not done the field training session after. This he describes as "unprofessional".

In all honesty, I'm not actually too upset about Gale not being captain. I've never been convinced by him as captain as well as leading halfback and found him a bit gobby at times. Personally I think Martin or Prior make sense - partly because of a dearth of other options beyond a young player punt.

Given Leeds had bombed a number of opportunities in a few of the games Luke played in recently I would not be surprised that the video review identified that Gale could have done better using the review.  Bearing in mind taking the Hull FC defeat and subsequent other games they could have won.

Guessing yes, but video review being the cause of disagreement would suggest he was identified as part of the reason for not making best use of opportunities or taking the wrong options in other parts of play.

Anyway what I say would not surprise me having watched those games... 

24 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Given Leeds had bombed a number of opportunities in a few of the games Luke played in recently I would not be surprised that the video review identified that Gale could have done better using the review.  Bearing in mind taking the Hull FC defeat and subsequent other games they could have won.

Guessing yes, but video review being the cause of disagreement would suggest he was identified as part of the reason for not making best use of opportunities or taking the wrong options in other parts of play.

Anyway what I say would not surprise me having watched those games... 

I think he's been guilty of trying too hard somewhat when the team have been poor under the pressure of the captaincy, including coming back maybe a little bit early from injury.

Kallum Watkins did the same and his performance level suffered too.

2 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Shows no respect for the coach.  

thats 99% of trl members out of the running for the rhinos captaincy then 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Archived