Roger Tuivasa-Sheck quits the NRL to play union for NZ union

16 hours ago, Futtocks said:

If the situations were reversed as regards the power and money in the game, would the SL clubs do exactly the same as the NRL clubs have just done?

Yeah, they probably would.

We haven't historically, when the Aussies were struggling we toured or supported 

On 27/07/2021 at 00:54, Waynebennettswinger said:

Sadly I wonder if other great talents may be swayed now, I know RTS was going anyway but the self interest and incompetence surrounding the international game surely increases the likelihood of others going to a sport that recognises the importance of international competition. 😔

NZ, Tonga, Fiji and Samoa could have put out sides stronger or on par with Queensland this year. That shows that the dynamic is shifting, there are a lot of great players ineligible for Origin now. Will the ARLC ever see this or admit it? Unlikely.

At the very least if there is a divide between Northern & Southern Hemisphere teams in the next few years it may give the Australia V NZ rivalry a chance to build up some momentum again. As an internationalist the thought of a Pacific Cup featuring Australia, NZ, PNG, Tonga, Samoa & Fiji is mouth watering even with everything that has happened recently.

44 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

NZ, Tonga, Fiji and Samoa could have put out sides stronger or on par with Queensland this year. That shows that the dynamic is shifting, there are a lot of great players ineligible for Origin now. Will the ARLC ever see this or admit it? Unlikely.

At the very least if there is a divide between Northern & Southern Hemisphere teams in the next few years it may give the Australia V NZ rivalry a chance to build up some momentum again. As an internationalist the thought of a Pacific Cup featuring Australia, NZ, PNG, Tonga, Samoa & Fiji is mouth watering even with everything that has happened recently.

Mouth watering indeed. We need a NH equivalent as soon as possible. It might take 40 years to get anywhere near it. Every day we delay the start of the competition is a day added to the 40 year duration. What's the IRL for, if not to get this process started a.s.a.p.?

5 hours ago, jim_57 said:

As an internationalist the thought of a Pacific Cup featuring Australia, NZ, PNG, Tonga, Samoa & Fiji is mouth watering even with everything that has happened recently.

If the WC doesnt get sorted then I won't be watching any internationals featuring Aus or NZ again. I've already binned off the NRL (a significant percentage of my TV watching time!) 

5 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

If the WC doesnt get sorted then I won't be watching any internationals featuring Aus or NZ again. I've already binned off the NRL (a significant percentage of my TV watching time!) 

That’s fair enough. I’ve always been the type to hang out for the internationals so I’d still watch as many as possible to support it.

23 minutes ago, Joe Aitcheson said:

Yeah, the NRL does stink rotten….. but not nearly as bad as the rugger union code does. Never forget that.

It’ll always be a recurring problem with NZers and Pacific Islanders as long as the RL International game remains a shadow of what it could be.

All the emphasis is on Origin in Australia so I could imagine the ineligible players feeling left out. Unless they play for a Grand Final making club then they would rarely ever play in front of big crowds & great atmospheres let alone travel to different places to do it.

On 26/07/2021 at 14:53, The Future is League said:

He could have done that with the Kiwis, oh hang on 

Probably wants to play in a proper one, where there are players from more than 5 countries and they all want to be in it. 

Archived