Match Thread: Championship Round 15, Featherstone Rovers v Toulouse Sunday-1st-August-2021

marklaspalmas

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

So I'm thinking:
Chissy/Dagger
Gale
Hardy
Welham
Hall
Brown
Holmes
Koppy
Jones
Harrison
Moors
Ferres
Locky
subs
Parata
Davies
Halton
Springer/Cooper

That would leave McConnell, Field, Chissy/Dagger and Springer/Cooper to miss out.
Pure guess the above though. Plenty of alternative permutations.

Interesting selection PH but for me if all FEV lads are   fit then  they all play Tom H in halves Dane  C at fullback and Craig H on wing 

However I thought Gareth  G looked tired and a bit leggy  in 2nd half last week so maybe rest him and play Will  D on tuther wing 

Iv'e noticed You've picked all the big guns to start but in the past when  james L and james H are both off the pitch together the game play suffers so james H who can play long minutes when he comes on is on my bench 

I think without Dale F Craig K Connor J  James L in the front row and Dean P on the bench are written in stone  

In the second row can't see any problem with starting the tried tested and trusted  superleague bound Frankie H and some one who's playing his best rugby for FEV Brett F so Junior  M is another one on my bench

I think webbo will stick with his choice of Loui M  as a  recognised loose forward but if he didn't without Jack B   only one genuine replacement that world famous centre/ stand off John D 😄

That leaves me one sub if the club thinks he's fit enough then it will be Gadwin S we haven't brought him to FEV  to be a bridesmaid  so if that's the case unfortunately this week  Luke C Callum F and the mercurial centre/stand off/loose forward John D all miss out

Having said all that webbo must be sat with a smile from ear to ear with stars in his eyes  looking  the squad he's got in front of him🤩

To be honest there's so many options that predicting the starting 13 and bench is tough, especially with a couple of our players seemingly carrying knocks last week. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Harrison came off the bench and did 50 minutes with just the half time break, for instance, that's what he was doing earlier in the season.

I'll be surprised if McConnell plays though. He has battled valiantly but he does struggle against bigger forwards and the Toulouse team is full of them.

1 hour ago, POR said:

Interesting selection PH but for me if all FEV lads are   fit then  they all play Tom H in halves Dane  C at fullback and Craig H on wing 

However I thought Gareth  G looked tired and a bit leggy  in 2nd half last week so maybe rest him and play Will  D on tuther wing 

Iv'e noticed You've picked all the big guns to start but in the past when  james L and james H are both off the pitch together the game play suffers so james H who can play long minutes when he comes on is on my bench 

I think without Dale F Craig K Connor J  James L in the front row and Dean P on the bench are written in stone  

In the second row can't see any problem with starting the tried tested and trusted  superleague bound Frankie H and some one who's playing his best rugby for FEV Brett F so Junior  M is another one on my bench

I think webbo will stick with his choice of Loui M  as a  recognised loose forward but if he didn't without Jack B   only one genuine replacement that world famous centre/ stand off John D 😄

That leaves me one sub if the club thinks he's fit enough then it will be Gadwin S we haven't brought him to FEV  to be a bridesmaid  so if that's the case unfortunately this week  Luke C Callum F and the mercurial centre/stand off/loose forward John D all miss out

Having said all that webbo must be sat with a smile from ear to ear with stars in his eyes  looking  the squad he's got in front of him🤩

What is this "loose forward" of which you speak??🤔

6 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

McConnell might be playing this weekend...but it will be for Cas, not Fev. He's joined them on loan, as has Jake Sweeting.

Well that'a one less to worry about PH 😀

I believe the ref is jack smith the bloke who clearly gave bradford a win with that terrible late try which certainly was not a try at bradford if my memory serves me right I never want refs to help any team not even rovers when they make absolute howlers however they seem to be getting worse and most games are ruined by too many 6 agains and stupid drop off ball stealing this season.

11 hours ago, eltel said:

most games are ruined by too many 6 agains and stupid drop off ball stealing this season.

I like the 6 again rule. It keeps the game flowing and acts as a deterrent to slowing the play-the-ball without the game being repeatedly slowed down and without a contentious decision giving a huge advantage.

However I agree that the drop-off ball steal rule has been a bit of a shambles. It's really hard for the officials to judge and it's unfair on the ball carrier as it's much harder to focus on securing the ball when you have two or three tacklers engaged with you. Too often the ball stealer gets his hands in position to steal the ball before the other tacklers drop off.

I don't think it's possible to have a perfect ball steal rule, but the old strictly one-on-one rule was fairer than the current one, in my opinion.

Anway, back on topic with today's game...I have watched quite a few of Toulouse's games this season and there is no doubt in my mind that this is the strongest team they have ever had. They are physically the biggest team I have seen in the Championship and defensively in particular they look very strong. In their last match against Batley there were quite a few sets where Batley didn't make much more than about ten yards in their set before kicking on the 6th tackle.

But we are a good team too, at home, with a partisan crowd, and back to being able to field a strong team for the first time in many weeks. Hopefully the game will live up to expectations.

28 minutes ago, LongStandingBull said:

How are you feeling Featherstone fans? not long until kick off now.

You should be full of confidence and feeling like favourites here. You’re at home, with a crowd behind you, Toulouse having to travel to you and didn’t someone say Webster hasn’t lost a game in charge? 

Are you tempting Providence?😮

Archived