Match Thread: Championship Round 15, Featherstone Rovers v Toulouse Sunday-1st-August-2021

marklaspalmas

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

We lost but not too disappointed. They certainly don't appear to be in a different league like Toronto were. 

In some ways it's a good thing, as we can see how to improve to beat them when it really matters. Wasn't great not having Chissy either. 

Really missed chizzy today - missed his maverick style of play at times - a deft step for example to create something - Holmes was sadly way off  the pace today and put out some garbage ball

Thought the last few weeks finally caught up with us at times, we seemed so pedestrian and they were miles quicker than us especially around the ruck 

Thought we kept ford, gigot and keirellah fairly subdued all game but let their monster back row have a field day 

oh well, ive always like the new propsal of a 14 team SL anyway……

As just posted on the main forum, best team won. Yes, the late reshuffle and individual errors didn't help, but we struggled to break them down which I suspect may well be the difference between full time training and next to no training together for us due to recent circumstances. 

On the plus side, I'd suggest we can definitely play better. Can Toulouse? 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Dreadful completion. 35% completion 2nd afe is just not good enough by any standard. 3 of their 4 tries were off our own mistakes, of which there were many.

Too many players had bloody awful games.... in front of the biggest crowd of the season. At 6-0 and 12-6, they were playing every trick in the book to slow the game down. We had them gassed....but just could not execute as one turn over after another oft on 1st or 2nd tackle.

The only consolation is that we weren't that far off them even playing sheeite and I don't think we will play that badly again.

JD wasted in centres for me.

When we had some pressure on their line but made far too many errors and let them off the hook.They certainly were not miles better than us , and the disruptions before the start did not really help . They seemed to have a game plan of test the ref with laying on and forward passes which overall worked,cause Smith was far too lenient. and some of their tactics re injury were unprofessional. It is about time that players with a cut head cramp etc if not affecting the game should be treated were they are, and the game progress. Obviously for serious injuries stop the game.  With a bit more composure , and Chissy we could have been much closer. Tom Holmes had a shocking game .

I hope Nus injury is not too serious.

The Rovers played their own part in the loss today but I saw plenty of forward passes, offsides and laying on, that if I could spot, then someone else could have spotted, if you know what I mean. Bulldozed today but loved the atmosphere. It'll be the only game you lose this season. JD tackled his heart out. Junior M is a handful. Can you not play these two when you play the kneets?

I'd like to echo Robin's comments. Completion was awful, but it was breakdown on tackles 1, 2 and 3 in many cases, exemplified by Tom Holmes' speculator from right to left at the POR end, early 2nd half three yards from their line on the 2nd tackle that was intercepted by their left centre. 

I was sat with an ex Rovers half back throughout the game he rightly commented, rightly in my opinion on how slow the pivot play was when pressing. We badly missed Dane Chisholm in the centre of the field. 

There were some good tackling performances although their tries were soft. 

Rovers looked tired as well in 2nd half, Tolouse obviously haven't had the intense match time that Rovers have had. And again to echo Robin's comments once more though winning the Cup and with a patched up team it seemed like the Wembley weekend has taken its toll. 

Still the monkey is off the back now, the defeat had to come, as Ian McCulloch sang in 1997, 'Nothing ever lasts forever'. 

2 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Hardcastle 

Didnt he play centre anyway, or was I particularly unobservent today? It was Welham who was moved to the wing to allow Hall to move to full back. 

Only other option to me would be Connor Jones in the circumstances, given he was playing their at times in SL last year. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

We had enough ball in their twenty to win most matches. Knock ons. Silly passes. No organisation or creativity. But let's not take that away from Toulouse. They gave us some of our own medicine today. For me the end came at 12-6 when we had got on top and a silly speculative pass near their line put any hopes of a fightback to bed. They are a better side than Fev but not unbeatable.

I thought Toulouse were very professional and good at the dark arts of the game. Thought they got far too much latitude with lying on at the play the ball along with tactical injuries and a lot hands on the ball in the tackle. 
However We were poor, passing was shocking and we dropped far too many. I thought you could see Holmes has been out for a while but I’m sure he just needs to get a couple of games under his belt.

The score line flattered them today and while they are a good side they are not unbeatable in the playoffs.

Totally agree that's what being full time buys, the ability to bend to rules and play the ref.  I would like to know the stats for their play the balls and ours. They were allowed far more latitude at the play the ball than us. 

We certainly looked like we haven't been training together regularly, you can get away with it against lesser teams and rely on talent but the better sides you have no chance. 

I have to agree with just about about everything that has been said.  Particularly that we know we can be much better.  With the ball it just seemed that we didn't know whether to stick or twist at times.  The one and only time we were incisive near the Toulouse line we scored the best try of the game

Toulouse never ripped us apart with the ball as they have every other team. Defensively in the main we were very good yet disappointingly all 4 tries were soft. 

The other thing worth mentioning is that whilst we were getting giddy about players returning we still had Chizzy, Dagger, Blackmore, Springer, Day, Bussey and Minns unavailable / missing.  As far as I'm aware Toulouse we at full strength.

Sounds like a fair result and just about everyone recognizes that Fev were poor on the day but where does this leave TO ? They can only beat what’s in front of them. Is this TO at the top of their game or is there more to come ? Maybe they only played as well as they needed to against a under par Fev side ?

TO fans haven’t seen their side perform this season except for a couple of games on OurLeague so it’s tricky for us to gauge how good or bad they are.

One has to consider some of our players had come back from covid issues after very little training. Can't remember Toulouse making many if any breaks between the twenty's. When they ventured into our twenty helped with penalties and repeat sets they had the guile to put on the points. The atmosphere was brilliant. 4021 fans with zero away support. Just hope the new fans give the players another chance to redeem themselves. They deserve it. Well done Toulouse. Best side won.

43 minutes ago, oiseau said:

Sounds like a fair result and just about everyone recognizes that Fev were poor on the day but where does this leave TO ? They can only beat what’s in front of them. Is this TO at the top of their game or is there more to come ? Maybe they only played as well as they needed to against a under par Fev side ?

TO fans haven’t seen their side perform this season except for a couple of games on OurLeague so it’s tricky for us to gauge how good or bad they are.

What a load of RUBBISH If  that's the case why didn't they put us to the sword and score 50 60 70 like they have done to other under par sides

4 minutes ago, J Phil Loxton said:

One has to consider some of our players had come back from covid issues after very little training. Can't remember Toulouse making many if any breaks between the twenty's. When they ventured into our twenty helped with penalties and repeat sets they had the guile to put on the points. The atmosphere was brilliant. 4021 fans with zero away support. Just hope the new fans give the players another chance to redeem themselves. They deserve it. Well done Toulouse. Best side won.

There were some French fans near to us Phil. 

Archived