Sun 1 Aug: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

Just now, kiggy said:

At least 7, a couple of mum and dad's of the players and us. Lots of neutrals though, met a few before the game who turned up looking for a match to watch. 

Hope you enjoyed the day. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, dkw said:

Amazing that Toulouse had no travelling fans, I mean it's not like there's any restrictions for them to come from France at the moment.....

Who said anything about travelling from France?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

I thought it was a very professional performance from Toulouse, they managed to slow the play the ball personally I thought the officials gave them far too many latitude but that’s just my opinion. 

Fev made far too many mistakes our half backs didn’t quite click but I can understand that on the back of a slow play the ball.

One thing is for certain I thought the score line flattered Toulouse and I certainly wouldn’t loose sleep over meeting them in grand final if we both get there.

48 minutes ago, dkw said:

Amazing that Toulouse had no travelling fans, I mean it's not like there's any restrictions for them to come from France at the moment.....

The clips posted by Fev on twitter showed a couple of French flags being waved in the stand, so presumably at least a couple of UK based supporters there.

42 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

Hope you enjoyed the day. 

Absolutely. Great to be back watching something live. Not the prettiest match to watch, too many mistakes from both sides, but enjoyable. I'm back to France tomorrow so I hope to get to see a match at Toulouse this season.

Some friendly Fev fans too. Thanks guys.

3 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Well that  (sadly with nearly two months left) is the league.  

Widnes and Newcastle have to build for next season, whatever that looks like.  

Bulls need to just patch up now for a tough playoff picture.

Position in the play-offs still matters. Batley were missing a few players today, Widnes at full-strength. Far too early to say it will definitely be Toulouse vs Fev in the final.

1 hour ago, JonM said:

Position in the play-offs still matters. Batley were missing a few players today, Widnes at full-strength. Far too early to say it will definitely be Toulouse vs Fev in the final.

Yep will be an uphill battle for Fev at Batley next week 😄 

3 hours ago, gazza77 said:

I've seen somewhere on Facebook it was 4021.

Good crowd, good game. Best team won, can't argue with the outcome. Losing a player in the warmup and having to reshuffle the back line didn't help, but ultimately too many individual errors killed us. I'd also suggest TO looked like a team that train full time, whereas we looked like a team that have only trained together once or twice in the last month.

On the plus side for Fev, this was never going to be the season defining game, and I'd also suggest that we can play better than we did today. I suspect we'll be meeting again later in the season. 

I bet as i write this the people who run our game are thinking up ways to stop Toulouse being in Super League next season, if Toulouse win the Championship grand final

3 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

I bet as i write this the people who run our game are thinking up ways to stop Toulouse being in Super League next season, if Toulouse win the Championship grand final

They may be allowed to enter if they accept the position without TV money a la Toronto.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

38 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

But they still managed to bring more than Sheffield and London.

Combined

Maybe wait until after the game to see how many Sheffield bring.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

3 hours ago, Cardypaul said:

I thought it was a very professional performance from Toulouse, they managed to slow the play the ball personally I thought the officials gave them far too many latitude but that’s just my opinion. 

Fev made far too many mistakes our half backs didn’t quite click but I can understand that on the back of a slow play the ball.

One thing is for certain I thought the score line flattered Toulouse and I certainly wouldn’t loose sleep over meeting them in grand final if we both get there.

That's a fair assessment. Toulouse deserved the victory today, Rovers made to many mistakes early in the tackle count. And I agree if we had to meet them in a knock out game and we had all our players available, it wouldn't be a foregone conclusion. But fair play to them today.

This business about Toulouse away supporters. I don't know who amongst you it has occurred to, but the French government are pretty hard core on people entering and leaving their country right now due to their issues with covid and I'm pretty sure that a quick trip abroad for a French based supporter would be totally impractical right now, not to mention expensive in covid tests and possibly requiring quarantine on return. I am heading back to the UK from Spain soon, and my family are having to spend hundreds in tests to do so and are going through a nightmare of paperwork.

4 minutes ago, Hello said:

This business about Toulouse away supporters. I don't know who amongst you it has occurred to, but the French government are pretty hard core on people entering and leaving their country right now due to their issues with covid and I'm pretty sure that a quick trip abroad for a French based supporter would be totally impractical right now, not to mention expensive in covid tests and possibly requiring quarantine on return. I am heading back to the UK from Spain soon, and my family are having to spend hundreds in tests to do so and are going through a nightmare of paperwork.

I think we are all realistic to know that it would be very difficult for any Toulouse supporters from France to be there today, but I  personally thought there would be a fair few of their supporters on this forum to show up.

16 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

I think we are all realistic to know that it would be very difficult for any Toulouse supporters from France to be there today, but I  personally thought there would be a fair few of their supporters on this forum to show up.

Huh?

4 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

No Toulouse will be welcome.  Game cant afford to turn down exposure of French derby and Sky already ticked off with Leigh decision. Sooner they are confirmed promoted sooner they will go for it.

I'd like them confirmed now but P/R obviously doesn't allow for that. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

22 minutes ago, Magic XIII said:

Most of the last two pages on how many fans Toulouse brought to a game. People even counted them, #wtf. Pretty much sums up why our game is in the state it is 

Sadly a lot of fans can't see the bigger picture

16 hours ago, Griff said:

How many Toulouse supporters ?

I could only see a sea of butcher's apron stripes wherever I looked. Apart from a Wire fan who stood out like a sore thumb.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Archived