Sun 1 Aug: SL: Leeds Rhinos v Warrington Wolves KO 19:30 (TV)

Who will win?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos
    • Warrington Wolves

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/08/21 at 19:00

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The VR was supposed to clear up controversy, all it did was add it's own in - that said, VR should be at all games or none, not just Sky games - as it is, we have a two tier league with different rules applied to different games.

BUT

In this case, the VR went with the on field decision, no VR, then ref gives the try on field and it's done.

Both sides made waaaay more mistakes than the ref did, that's for sure

1 minute ago, Barry Badrinath said:

I'm just pointing out that there was more than one try awarded that shouldn't have been tonight.

See my post above, the VR is there to stop incorrect decisions, they can’t be compared to things like missed forward passes etc, youre judging the forward pass from TV angles which is difficult to do

1 hour ago, Live after death said:

People are asking why people are turning their backs on RL, well we a blatant no try is given as a try by bent refs and video refs then that does not help.

thats utter shocking and Neither should be referring a game again this season. Kendall us the worse ref I have ever seen.

Totally correct LAD. We never had a controversial decision until those meddling Video Ref’s started getting involved.

I’ve never seen any other official in any other sport make a controversial decision like that. As for Refs & the other officials being bent, don’t get me started. I was told R Rimmer went into a bookies with Kendal and they put £1 each on Wire to win in the last second with DG.

The fella i was talking to in my local “The Everything Tastes Bitter Inn”, had said “he couldn’t remember if he’d seen that comment on Twitter or Facebook”. 
what i will say though is “if they gave me the chance to Ref a game i would because it’s soooooooo easy”. Come and join me Life After Death. 

Thoroughly enjoyable game to watch and a reminder to spectators to stay till the vry end. Whilst I can understand fans feeling that some ref decisions were wrong, just put that on one side and actually enjoy and appreciate the match...and the sport of rugby league.

9 hours ago, Padge said:

It is based on the Law of the Game. This states you cannot disallow a try just because you didn't see it grounded.

This causes a serious problem with the system of VR.

When they brought in the ref would give a call I started saying it would be a problem, before that I said the VR had a problem with giving tries on benefit of the doubt, most people didn't realise this existed.

When the video ref was introduced the basic laws of the game should have been rewritten because the Laws of the Game and having a video ref are incompatible.

The laws are general laws for the whole sport and skirt around the use if VR,

The decision was consistent with the laws, but inconsistent with what could be seen.

You seem to be complicating this. We don't see this every week. We saw two over-ruled tries in the Wigan v Wire the other day but not every angle conclusively proved it, that is the same here. 

I understand the point you are making, but it doesn't happen - one conclusive angle is enough, we have never, ever needed all angles to be conclusive. 

6 hours ago, JohnM said:

Thoroughly enjoyable game to watch and a reminder to spectators to stay till the vry end. Whilst I can understand fans feeling that some ref decisions were wrong, just put that on one side and actually enjoy and appreciate the match...and the sport of rugby league.

Couldn't agree more John, I've no issues discussing these things as talking points of the game, but I always deal with controversial points with a shrug of the shoulder, we benefited last night imo, but we will get some against us. 

But being obsessed with 10m v 11m (as though the ref is genuinely corrupt) is weird and tbh just ruins it for yourself. 

There were a lot of errors last night, and clearly fatigued play, but it was a bloody enjoyable game of rugby, sometimes we should just try and appreciate the entertainment on show. 

9 hours ago, DimmestStar said:

I actually thought it should have been a penalty try. Clear ball steal preventing a try.

There was a forward pass by Leeds in the second half which was missed which was just unbelievable so there were decisions to complain about both ways.

Leeds were the better team and would have deserved to win IMO. Even so 'in form' Rhinos are now 3 losses from the last 5.

I *think* penalty tries for steals over the line have been scrapped now, so it would just be a penalty for Wire. 

Some coaches even moan when they win.

Well three to be exact and maybe one more than the other two put together.

Refs make mistakes so we have refs as the video ref so they won't make mistakes.

It went up as a try so proof it wasn't scored was necessary if the video ref felt the proof wasn't there the try has to be given. And it doesn't matter if the world, his wife and the entire population of Galaxy disagree.

Agar Agar moans if they win and more if they lose, so poor I named him twice.

Has the RFL fined him yet, or do they need a decision from the square in the air?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

The VR decision was a farce, regardless of who you support and in the wider context than just last nights game, there has to be concern of how incompetent our officials are. The 'high tackle' which led to our try was a joke and how they missed Martyns mile forward offload, il never know...But as Christopher says, the whole point of the VR is to get the right call when called upon...How anyone can watch them replays and come up with a try is astonishing.

The reason we lost that game though is the stupidity of Tom Briscoe, in a game of big moments, thats the one that cost us the game imo, 6 up, 5 mins to go against 12 men...And he does that.

39 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I *think* penalty tries for steals over the line have been scrapped now, so it would just be a penalty for Wire. 

I think that ball steals in the act of scoring are no longer penalties. It should have been play on, tackled into touch. 6 again for Wire. I think.

9 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

I think that ball steals in the act of scoring are no longer penalties. It should have been play on, tackled into touch. 6 again for Wire. I think.

I thought it was just penalty try that was amended. 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

You seem to be complicating this. We don't see this every week. We saw two over-ruled tries in the Wigan v Wire the other day but not every angle conclusively proved it, that is the same here. 

I understand the point you are making, but it doesn't happen - one conclusive angle is enough, we have never, ever needed all angles to be conclusive. 

I am not complicating it, I am pointing out the inconsistency in the Laws.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, rhinos78 said:

in the wider context than just last nights game, there has to be concern of how incompetent our officials are. The 'high tackle' which led to our try was a joke and how they missed Martyns mile forward offload, il never know..

I must be alone in thinking the high tackle was a reasonable view. There was contact with the neck, albeit fleeting. The forward pass obviously was a bad miss.

One thing which really annoys me are the people who are death-riding the game claiming poor refereeing is "driving fans away", something we seem to be seeing a lot of. The refereeing today remains a lot better than 30 years ago - and no worse than any other time in the SL era (apart from maybe when Klein was around).

Just now, Padge said:

I am not complicating it, I am pointing out the inconsistency in the Laws.

But that isn't how it is applied. Otherwise there is literally no point in ever going to the VR to check grounding, as there will literally always be an angle that doesn't confirm it, because that's how cameras and positioning works. 

Unless they have always, like literally always, agreed with the refs decision then what you highlight isn't a problem. 

Otherwise, if a ref says try, then there is no point the VR looking. 

19 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

That's because their VAR is rubbish though because they've ostensibly not learned anything from any other sport.

Interesting observation, with all the money in football and all the time they have had to learn from other sports, not many would say that they have it right. No doubting there are some inconsistencies in it’s application in Rugby League but it isn’t something I am a fan of at all and I have yet to see a sport where this technology works or is used that well. 

it is here to stay though, so we need to look at it‘s use. For me if we must have it then it has to be at every game, in some form. 

We just need to get rid of the ridiculous current on-field ref try/no try thing. Now that we are unshackled from the tyranny of NRL rules we can do what we want on that protocol. It's been leading to incorrect decisions ever since it was introduced (and I have no idea what the point of it was in the first place).

If you are able to read something with an open mind and are able to see something from a different point of view Ian Smith has tweeted a very good explanation of the Charnley decision - sorry I can’t link it

A key point is that the decision was made in accordance with the protocols agreed between the MO Department, the clubs & the coaches 

Also the decision as with all others will be reviewed & analysed to death in this morning’s review

6 minutes ago, LeeF said:

A key point is that the decision was made in accordance with the protocols agreed between the MO Department, the clubs & the coaches 

Was the protocol to find one angle that clearly shows what happened, only watch it once then ignore it?

26 minutes ago, LeeF said:

If you are able to read something with an open mind and are able to see something from a different point of view Ian Smith has tweeted a very good explanation of the Charnley decision - sorry I can’t link it

Also the decision as with all others will be reviewed & analysed to death in this morning’s review

It's interesting but it just highlights what a terrible, terrible system it is.

Can anyone give a single reason in its favour?

Archived