Thur 29 Jul: SL: Hull FC v Leeds Rhinos KO 19:45 (TV)

Who will win?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull FC
    • Leeds Rhinos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/07/21 at 19:15

13 hours ago, Barry Badrinath said:

Has the Hull pitch always been less than 100m long, I dont recall having seen rhe broken 30 line before.

Have they resized the pitch for the upcoming footie season

Not always, but for around ten years or so now.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Smart play.

Leeds seem to have intelligent footballers. Hull, well, they seem a bit thick.

Got a text from my son that said "We just looked daft all game".

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Really disappointing performance, particularly second half, but must give full credit to Leeds who defended superbly.

Attack all over the place with our last tackle kicks just not anywhere near accurate enough. Satae in particular and Soa are now getting flogged with a real drop off when Bowden and Fash replace them. Lane, Mau and Cator all need to look at their involvement last night. The stats are poor.

Baffled by only using 2 of his bench - although Johnson came on for last 10? We are basically playing with 15 players and I cannot understand why. Brown is fit and must be a better option from the bench.

What I would give for a Dwyer type hooker to come off the bench when teams are tiring...

1 hour ago, Barry Badrinath said:

i like him, i got invited to a behind the scenes thing with him a few years back at warrington, he was giving us a breakdown on video analysis where we were planning to attack a team the following week, everything he said, came to fruition, and you got a little tingle when you could see us setting up 2 or 3 plays in advance.

He was proper nerding out enthusiastically telling us about this, and was trying to invite us back a while later to show us some more (with a couple of beers) it was one of those moments where you can really see a passion and excitement for someone in their job.

I think his rep among fans is undeserving, and lazy.

Never met him myself but I've spoken to a few people who have and they all spoke very highly of him as a person.

The whole game flipped for me when, with the score at 6-4, Swift lost that ball right on the Leeds line.  Could have gone to 12-4 but it went down the other end and helped by many dumb penalties was all Leeds from then on.

Funoa really is shocking these days.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

2 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

The whole game flipped for me when, with the score at 6-4, Swift lost that ball right on the Leeds line.  Could have gone to 12-4 but it went down the other end and helped by many dumb penalties was all Leeds from then on.

Funoa really is shocking these days.

Is that the moment where Satae got the offload away right on the goal line but Hull lost the ball? Couldn't really see how it came free but I agree with you, that was the decisive moment in the game for me. Given the amount of defending Leeds had done in the first half I think a two score lead at that point would have been very difficult to overhaul.

25 minutes ago, Ullman said:

Is that the moment where Satae got the offload away right on the goal line but Hull lost the ball? Couldn't really see how it came free but I agree with you, that was the decisive moment in the game for me. Given the amount of defending Leeds had done in the first half I think a two score lead at that point would have been very difficult to overhaul.

Yeah, that's the one.  Replays showed that Swift didn't quite get fully control of the ball before the tackle dislodged it.  Brilliant off load from Satae too. 

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Leeds gave too many penalties and errors in the first half giving Hull plenty of territory. They managed to defend well enough in the last 20 to prevent Hull making the most of the opportunity.  Hull did make plenty of yards but often helped by the penalties/errors.

2nd Half Leeds curtailed the penalties and errors which meant they were able to get into the arm wrestle, which they ultimately won. 

In general Leeds harm themselves giving plenty of penalties. Although this game less head shots (seemed to have cut this out) but off-sides still can be a killer.  If they manage to limit the penalties they may be able to get to the play-offs, but I think they may have too much to do.

32 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Leeds gave too many penalties and errors in the first half giving Hull plenty of territory. They managed to defend well enough in the last 20 to prevent Hull making the most of the opportunity.  Hull did make plenty of yards but often helped by the penalties/errors.

2nd Half Leeds curtailed the penalties and errors which meant they were able to get into the arm wrestle, which they ultimately won. 

In general Leeds harm themselves giving plenty of penalties. Although this game less head shots (seemed to have cut this out) but off-sides still can be a killer.  If they manage to limit the penalties they may be able to get to the play-offs, but I think they may have too much to do.

I think to put Leeds season in context last night was the first time this year they have fielded a near full strength team, I appreciate a lot of clubs have gone through similar and with all the Covid stuff its been hard for teams to get any kind of consistency, even with the squad we put out we had some self inflicted stuff going on (the Gale stuff).

If Leeds can get some consistency I think we can scrape into the top 6, giving a good account of ourselves before it taking its toll and bowing out.

Next year is a massive one for Leeds, looks like Austin is joining which does strengthen the squad and with Sezer and Bentley plus the young kids being a bit more experienced we are finally getting somewhere with the squad.

Sinfield (and Agar) have had their critics but the club is in a much much better position than when they joined.

3 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

I think to put Leeds season in context last night was the first time this year they have fielded a near full strength team, I appreciate a lot of clubs have gone through similar and with all the Covid stuff its been hard for teams to get any kind of consistency, even with the squad we put out we had some self inflicted stuff going on (the Gale stuff).

If Leeds can get some consistency I think we can scrape into the top 6, giving a good account of ourselves before it taking its toll and bowing out.

Next year is a massive one for Leeds, looks like Austin is joining which does strengthen the squad and with Sezer and Bentley plus the young kids being a bit more experienced we are finally getting somewhere with the squad.

Sinfield (and Agar) have had their critics but the club is in a much much better position than when they joined.

yep, for sure I think Agar has done a great job. 

9 hours ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

I am not trolling Hull fans I can assure you. Leeds won the game, this is not sour grapes.

In my humble opinion Hull, from the off and at every opportunity, were dirty grubs which as a team I have never noticed from them before.

Had to check it wasn't Sir Kev then, sorry.

Have to say I think you're incorrect for most of it.

Sure, there was one or two niggles towards the end but I think the game had gone by then.

We were in font at arf tarm, why would we introduce stuff that would drag us back downfield when our game tactics did that anyway?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

9 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

AND, no disrespect Paul but they are emulating the Bulls team under Brian Noble's leadership but not performing it half as well, Nobby amassed the biggest team he could to power over the opposition, Nobby didn't have any other stratergies or game plans to call on when it went wrong as became very obvious in the rest of his coaching appointments.

The coincidence falls down in respect of the fact that the Hull team are nowhere near as good as the Bulls players both individually and collectively.

Completely agree

15 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Had to check it wasn't Sir Kev then, sorry.

Have to say I think you're incorrect for most of it.

Sure, there was one or two niggles towards the end but I think the game had gone by then.

We were in font at arf tarm, why would we introduce stuff that would drag us back downfield when our game tactics did that anyway?

I get what you are saying OF and maybe we will just agree to disagree on this one - like old times!

Obviously the elbow into Myler was picked up on TV not least because Myler jumped up and remonstrated to the referee. I am sure we all agree that it was a needless cheap shot that presumably he thought he would get away with by looking the other way. You are correct though this came later.

I put that incident in the same 'needless' category as pushing a bloke into the advertising boards then immediately helping him up as if it was an accident or when an attacker is pinned to the floor using your forearm/elbow/palm of your hand to push face/head into the ground or even when trying to get a up for a PTB throwing your legs upwards with the intent to kick the defender but having the excuse of 'trying to wriggle free'.

Hull did all of those things with deliberate intent from the start of the game but when do teams/players ever get punished for anything like that? Almost never and therefore Hull were not inviting pressure by way of penalties.

As I said earlier, I like the rough part of the game, I love a strong tackle and I do not object to handbags but trying to rough a rse players as described is just cheap. Grub.

Maybe I noticed it more than usual (all teams have moments) in Hull's game the other night and they are not as bad as they appeared but it did feel like they wanted to intimidate/rough up Leeds into submission in ways other than simply playing a physical game within the rules.

I will watch on Monday with interest and will be cheering the codheads on.

On 29/07/2021 at 22:02, Chrispmartha said:

2 years ago we would have lost that game by a lot, we’ve come on a long way 

It was a pretty intense physical onslaught from Hull for much of the game. I think most teams in the competition would have cracked under the pressure but the Leeds defence was very impressive.

On 30/07/2021 at 06:58, Old Frightful said:

Never mind, it's only Saints on Monday, shame they don't have sofas to hide behind at the MKM stadium.

If it helps, buy the same seat you had on Thursday and me and our kid will stand up every time Saints are attacking.

On 30/07/2021 at 06:58, Old Frightful said:

Let's be fair, that wasn't much.

Very disappointed. 

Of the two sides, we made the best yardage getting out of our own half and upfield by a distance but, as has been pointed out by plenty on here, in the last quarter of the pitch we were pretty hopeless.

Perhaps we rely too much on Jake Connor, had he played last night then I think we win as he'd have made sure all that time in the Leeds 20 would have been turned into a healthy margin by half time. I also wonder if the terrific busts made by Satae and Faraimo would have been more productive if we'd had a better supporting game, I think Shaul may also have made a big difference.

But you play with the hand you're dealt with and it just wasn't good enough in the creativity stakes. There are some fine individual players at Hull FC, but take just two or three out of the squad and we always struggle. When things are going our way then Sneyd is a fantastic asset, when we're up against it, not so.

Only saw the Connor Wynne "forearm smash" live then a brief replay on the screen but it didn't look great and I'm pretty sure he'll cop a ban. Again disappointing as he's a great talent with a big future.

Fonua is a beast and does some damaging stuff in attack but his propensity to charge out of defence in order to put pressure on his opposite number only works if that particular player actually gets the ball, otherwise he's made to look foolish.

Cas fans won't have minded watching that last night, Bureta Faraimo showed what a handful he is and they can look forward to some good stuff from him next year, no idea why we're offloading him.

I think Brett Hodgson needs to take a long hard look at the Hull FC squad. Leeds brought Brad Dwyer on and he made in immediate difference to the game. We brought Jordan Johnstone on....

Never mind, it's only Saints on Monday, shame they don't have sofas to hide behind at the MKM stadium.

That's a very Hull FC -centric post with little to say about Leeds who after all were the main story on the night.

You say Brett Hodgson needs to take a look at the Hull FC squad - he will have to but with a need to slash costs because Hull currently have the most expensive squad in their history and Pearson has said over and again it is not sustainable.

The trick will be retaining players like Connor and getting rid of expensive flops like Reynolds. Do that and you can get back to sustainability without harming the team too much. 

8 hours ago, DimmestStar said:

That's a very Hull FC -centric post with little to say about Leeds who after all were the main story on the night.

It was mainly a critique about the team I support, not a report on the game.

And I would venture to suggest the main story of the night was Hull FC's inability to turn overwhelming territory and possession into points in the first half, points that could well have decided the outcome by half time.

And I can't help but point out a line from your comment on the game "Leeds ran all over them".

Really? Had anyone read this input from you without knowing the score they might well have though it was a one sided blow out of forty points or more.

But the final score was 12-22 was it not?, three tries to two?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Archived