Wed 28 Jul: SL: Warrington Wolves v Wigan Warriors KO 19:45 (TV)

Who will win?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Warrington Wolves
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/07/21 at 19:15

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Cheshire Setter said:

Lam blaming the decisions now. That's got to signal the end of his Wigan career. You take it on the chin, gallant in defeat. Wasn't even controversial...

I watched with the sound off, but had half an ear on the radio, and they were sure that last try should have been looked at.

The general consensus seems to be that the collision was accidental, so why are people so angry that the ref got the call right?

I was surprised that he didn't go to the VR, but when you see it it is hard to see how the decision would be any different.

Just now, Exiled Wiganer said:

I watched with the sound off, but had half an ear on the radio, and they were sure that last try should have been looked at.

So we're the sky lot. I think there's merit in checking but it wouldn't change the outcome anyway?

At full speed on the video replay Charnley runs towards Marshall who is slipping to the ground. No deliberate moving of the foot toward the player just a simple accident.

The only bit of Lams interview I agreed with was the Marshall incident. I thought it should have been disallowed. Wouldn’t have made a difference to the result mind you.

Patwigaw

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The general consensus seems to be that the collision was accidental, so why are people so angry that the ref got the call right?

I was surprised that he didn't go to the VR, but when you see it it is hard to see how the decision would be any different.

I was thinking the same; let's have a five minute look and reach the same conclusion.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I think most sensible people think it should have been looked at, the collision with Marshall wasn't the issue though it was the 'collision' with Hastings. Both should have been reviewed in my opinion, but Hicks reffed the game and it is his decision that counts.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 minute ago, Cheshire Setter said:

At full speed on the video replay Charnley runs towards Marshall who is slipping to the ground. No deliberate moving of the foot toward the player just a simple accident.

You said there was no controversy, and I was pointing out that the radio thought there was. It’s all the same to me, if we can’t score more than 2 tries we won’t win games like this. 

1 minute ago, andyscoot said:

So we're the sky lot. I think there's merit in checking but it wouldn't change the outcome anyway?

There was definitely merit in thinking it should have gone to the VR - if you then watch it and agree with the ref's decision that there was no foul play, then why on earth would you get angry about it? 

I mean at least according to Lam's eye's he thought he saw a kick at the head - but then he also claims he saw an outstanding performance from his team.

That isn;t aimed at you by the way.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

There was definitely merit in thinking it should have gone to the VR - if you then watch it and agree with the ref's decision that there was no foul play, then why on earth would you get angry about it? 

I mean at least according to Lam's eye's he thought he saw a kick at the head - but then he also claims he saw an outstanding performance from his team.

I don’t know you’re getting so worked up. Lam is a losing coach, and reacts oddly whenever we lose. 

To be fair to Lam, didn't he also say they were outstanding when we stuffed them by 40 a few weeks ago? He won't look so smug when he finds out his team are in the red and white shirts.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Just now, Just Browny said:

To be fair to Lam, didn't he also say they were outstanding when we stuffed them by 40 a few weeks ago? He won't look so smug when he finds out his team are in the red and white shirts.

Make sure you take the tab off the video so no one can record over it with Bargain Hunt. 

1 minute ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I don’t know you’re getting so worked up. Lam is a losing coach, and reacts oddly whenever we lose. 

I'm not sure why you think I am worked up.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

We sometimes forget that we have the advantage of seeing replays that the ref isn't privy to when he makes his decision. If Hicks saw nothing then he has no reason to go to VR, unless someone gives him a call in his ear, which I believe has now been disallowed.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

4 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Make sure you take the tab off the video so no one can record over it with Bargain Hunt. 

Nothing much to get excited about tonight. Terrible ball control and Akauola was on the wing FFS.

18 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The ref got the call wrong. It was contact to the head which is a penalty, accidental or not. You can't claim accidental contact and play on when Charnley hasn't even made any attempt to go with his hands. He's walked up to the player and kicked him in the head, albeit accidentally, while he's on the ground. Mamo then taking the ball from the hands of a clearly injured player is really poor sportsmanship.

Just look at the incident in the first half with Philbin. Isa immediately stops. He isn't even tackled but Hicks immediately stops play due to injury.

He should have stopped play immediately when Marshall went down, but having not done so it's staggering that he didn't go to the video ref. He must have been following the play so he must have seen it but still didn't refer it.

It's the wrong call and it's a big call so I'm not surprised Lam was fuming about that.

1 minute ago, EagleEyePie said:

The ref got the call wrong. It was contact to the head which is a penalty, accidental or not. You can't claim accidental contact and play on when Charnley hasn't even made any attempt to go with his hands. He's just walked up to the player and kicked him in the head while he's on the ground. Mamo then taking the ball from the hands of a clearly injured player is really poor sportsmanship.

Just look at the incident in the first half with Philbin. Isa immediately stops. He isn't even tackled but Hicks immediately stops play due to injury.

He should have stopped play immediately when Marshall went down, but having not done so it's staggering that he didn't go to the video ref. He must have been following the play so he must have seen it but still didn't refer it.

It's the wrong call and it's a big call so I'm not surprised Lam was fuming about that.

That was the take on the radio from Wilkin. In another world we would also get the benefit of the doubt from the Bibby no try. In fact I might call it as a draw and get my tippex out to correct the table in the papers. 

1 minute ago, EagleEyePie said:

You can't claim accidental contact and play on when Charnley hasn't even made any attempt to go with his hands. He's just walked up to the player and kicked him in the head while he's on the ground. Mamo then taking the ball from the hands of a clearly injured player is really poor sportsmanship.

I am a Wigan fan, and I don't recognise this incident.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

It takes a special type of delusion to come out with what Lam just said, coaches back their player's and won't criticise them in public but to call that outstanding means they have exceeded his expectations of them and have played well, is that really the case?

A scrappy second half unfortunately and when Arthur's said the first penalty of the game had just happened I bet I wasn't the only one who remembered Warrington V Wigan game's of the past and sadly shook their head at what the sport has decended into, Rugby Lite with all intensity and passion removed.

52 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I don’t think that the contact on Marshall was deliberate but it should have been looked at before the try was awarded. The possible contact between Ratchford and Hastings definitely should have been checked. 

Accidental head contact is an odd one. If a player falls into a defender's arm, penalty. Clash of heads or the incident tonight, no penalty. Very inconsistent. Although I have no problem with that try being awarded at all.

Quite an entertaining match if not high on quality. Warrington made a lot of errors but were certainly the better team and deserved to win.

Lam, not for the first time, appeared deluded in a post match interview. I can't quite figure out if it is a deliberate tactic to deflect attention from the team or he just doesn't know what he's doing.

20 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Lam blaming the decisions now. That's got to signal the end of his Wigan career. You take it on the chin, gallant in defeat. Wasn't even controversial...

With Powell on the way you’d better get used to it.

Archived