NRL postpone expansion

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Hows Soupy League and it’s million and one postponements getting on?

Not great, TBH.

Shame the NRL is also screwed and screwing up.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Gomersall said:

A9785C3E-C47D-497D-B5CF-6E82CDFB891C.jpeg.e57fe6b785e62f45ad5f1094ff0c30c1.jpeg

1 hour ago, bamfordsbeans said:

Is anybody over here interested in this irrelevant competition anymore?

You do realise It’s not compulsory to read or even comment on a thread don’t you.

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

It’s great how many eld fellas get het up about Australian stuff posted in this section. I bet they have boycott Fosters and Kylie Minogue too. 

Especially when the NRL’s self centred,damaging approach to the game mirrors our own clubs.

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

It’s great how many eld fellas get het up about Australian stuff posted in this section. I bet they have boycott Fosters and Kylie Minogue too. 

We boycott Fosters and Kylie, while Aussies boycott major international sporting events at short notice and with no consideration to others…. we both have our own cultural traditions 🤣

2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Fosters yes, Kylie never!

8 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Expected to lose $45m. That’s some drop. 

Probably the right decision all things considered. It will be interesting to see if it goes ahead and whether V’landys himself makes it to 2024 in the role. 

I would be amazed if V'landys is still in his role in the ARLC come 2024

8 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Your last sentence is a bit harsh but certainly your first two are on the money.

You might laugh but this for me is the NRL equivalent of what`s going on with the WC. An absolute disaster of the first order.

The clubs through their increased power on the commission are pushing for a bond from any new entrant. While this might have legs if growth potential was saturated we are a long way from that. League in Qld is under direct threat from the fumbleball game. We need to saturate that market post-haste.

This is where I think our clubs have a lot in common with your own. Rather than in a situation where when times were relatively good vis-a-vis broadcast deals each club sacrificing a small amount of their club grant to spend on the big picture, no, they want every last cent so they can spend it on player salaries, not thinking of course if each club sacrificed the same amount then the playing field would still be level.

I find this announcement of delay totally disillusioning, why in our sport are we never able to sacrifice for the bigger picture. Too many dung heaps, too many bantam roosters.

Exchanging emails with family members who live in Brisbane at the time of the Brisbane 2 proposal or whatever name they was to be given. They thought another NRL club in the Brisbane district or out in Ipswich would do a big blow to fumbleball in Queensland and be a big plus for the NRL their, well that's obviously gone by the bye for the time being at least. I would say this is manna from heaven for fumbleball in Queensland now.

8 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Turns out shouting gets you a reduced TV deal and no expansion.

And an end to internationals.

Great guy this. We really need someone like him over here.

I'm afraid his short comings have been badly exposed and i expect him to do the honourable thing and fall on his sword.

My feeling is that he is a marionette with Phil Gould pulling the strings

As RL generates nearly all its income from two pro comps, that gives them power. The few media companies who pay for those rights also become powerful, dictating what they want. 

In RU, a large amount of their revenue comes from international matches so that lessens the power of the clubs. I presume it also widens the number of media companies who pay for those games, lessening their control to a degree. 

So RL is basically at the mercy of a few media companies and a handful of pro clubs. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

I'm as disappointed as the next person but it's not a forgone conclusion yet and at worst is only a year.

For everyone criticising the NRL yet again, if Super league had to put the same protocols in place that the NRL currently have, Super league wouldn't exist.

It's remarkable that the NRL can take a $45million hit and still think of expansion.   

1 hour ago, Omott91 said:

It's remarkable that the NRL can take a $45million hit and still think of expansion.

Before a certain ARLC Chairman came along there was nil, zero talk about expansion, and it most likely would of remained that way. It is only on the agenda because certain people on the ARLC know it`s best for the game and continue to push it.

The clubs would bury their heads in the sand and just hope the competitors just go away, and of course collect their $13m from the NRL each year.

But thankfully that is what independent commissions are for, and hopefully despite push-back from the clubs they will stick to their guns.

20 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

But thankfully that is what independent commissions are for, and hopefully despite push-back from the clubs they will stick to their guns.

Something we all learnt with the Toronto saga, an independent commission is really needed in the UK.

• 2 months later...

Couldn`t find the seventeenth NRL team thread so stuck it on here. Big news coming out of Oz.

NRL seals $100m broadcast deal with Foxtel for expansion in Brisbane (theaustralian.com.au)

The NRL has agreed to terms with Foxtel on a new broadcast deal for a 17-team competition in a move poised to deliver an NRL expansion windfall of up to $100 million.

In a landmark development for the code, the NRL’s Pay-TV partner has thrown its support behind a second Brisbane team with a mega deal that will bankroll rugby league’s most significant expansionary move in 14 years.

As revealed by News Corp last week, the NRL is inching towards expansion with the ARL Commission tipped to announce Queensland’s fourth club by the end of October.

Now ARL Commission boss Peter V’landys will attend a meeting with the 16 NRL clubs on Thursday armed with a beefed-up broadcasting deal from Foxtel worth between $17-20 million annually.

Applying the figure across the sport’s traditional five-year broadcast cycle, a new 17th franchise will be worth between $85-100 million to the NRL in a deal that will guarantee the existing 16 clubs are financial winners from expansion.

Contrary to reports, there are no conditions attached to News Corp Australia’s updated broadcast deal and it is incorrect to suggest the NRL has agreed to reduce Brisbane Broncos free-to-air games by 25 per cent.

V’landys promised the clubs he would not expand unless the business case stacked-up — and Foxtel’s fresh broadcasting agreement with the NRL is evidence the code is ready for a second Brisbane team to rival the Broncos in 2023.

Should the clubs provide unanimous support to V’landys, the NRL’s Expansion Assessment Committee will recommend the preferred candidate for a 17th licence to the ARL Commission on Friday.

Three consortia, the Jets, Firehawks and Dolphins, are bidding to become Brisbane’s second team.

As revealed by News Corp last month, the Redcliffe-backed Dolphins are the strong favourites to win the 17th licence by virtue of their $100 million asset base, 40,000 Leagues Club members and thriving catchment in the Moreton Bay region.

When News Corp extended its broadcast deal with the NRL last year until the end of 2027, there was a provision in the contract to renegotiate terms if a new team was added to the Telstra Premiership.

Foxtel has subsequently come to the party with a bumper deal that is backing the NRL’s vision for expansion in 2023.

On 28/07/2021 at 12:15, Copa said:

In 2017, the average amount gambled per year by people 18 and over was over $12,000 per person. That’s roughly £6,349.

Its sobering! My missus lived in Sydney and said they were all obsessed with it. Even the companion programmes on WatchNRL were full of gambling references 

When I saw the title of the thread, I thought that's SL safe for another year or two and then I realise they're talking about Brissy!

A good idea but still hoping they will eye a second team in NZ at some stage.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

5 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Couldn`t find the seventeenth NRL team thread so stuck it on here. Big news coming out of Oz.

NRL seals $100m broadcast deal with Foxtel for expansion in Brisbane (theaustralian.com.au)

The NRL has agreed to terms with Foxtel on a new broadcast deal for a 17-team competition in a move poised to deliver an NRL expansion windfall of up to $100 million.

In a landmark development for the code, the NRL’s Pay-TV partner has thrown its support behind a second Brisbane team with a mega deal that will bankroll rugby league’s most significant expansionary move in 14 years.

As revealed by News Corp last week, the NRL is inching towards expansion with the ARL Commission tipped to announce Queensland’s fourth club by the end of October.

Now ARL Commission boss Peter V’landys will attend a meeting with the 16 NRL clubs on Thursday armed with a beefed-up broadcasting deal from Foxtel worth between $17-20 million annually.

Applying the figure across the sport’s traditional five-year broadcast cycle, a new 17th franchise will be worth between $85-100 million to the NRL in a deal that will guarantee the existing 16 clubs are financial winners from expansion.

Contrary to reports, there are no conditions attached to News Corp Australia’s updated broadcast deal and it is incorrect to suggest the NRL has agreed to reduce Brisbane Broncos free-to-air games by 25 per cent.

V’landys promised the clubs he would not expand unless the business case stacked-up — and Foxtel’s fresh broadcasting agreement with the NRL is evidence the code is ready for a second Brisbane team to rival the Broncos in 2023.

Should the clubs provide unanimous support to V’landys, the NRL’s Expansion Assessment Committee will recommend the preferred candidate for a 17th licence to the ARL Commission on Friday.

Three consortia, the Jets, Firehawks and Dolphins, are bidding to become Brisbane’s second team.

As revealed by News Corp last month, the Redcliffe-backed Dolphins are the strong favourites to win the 17th licence by virtue of their $100 million asset base, 40,000 Leagues Club members and thriving catchment in the Moreton Bay region.

When News Corp extended its broadcast deal with the NRL last year until the end of 2027, there was a provision in the contract to renegotiate terms if a new team was added to the Telstra Premiership.

Foxtel has subsequently come to the party with a bumper deal that is backing the NRL’s vision for expansion in 2023.

Despite the hype coming out of Vicky Kicky circles this will be a huge blow to fumbleball in Queensland, but i hope the ARLC don't neglect the Ipswich area

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/news-corp-strikes-75m-deal-with-nrl-to-prop-up-2023-redcliffe-expansion-20211004-p58x16.html

Looks like Redcliffe are nailed on for this now, perfect - my long-term QLD Cup side, same colours as the mighty Hull Kingston Rovers, and even has a seaside resort called Scarborough to the north just like Hull…. It’s ideal..!! 😂😂😂spacer.png

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

Archived