NRL Match Thread - Round 20 - 2021

1 hour ago, Farmduck said:

Yesterday the PM said that when we reach 80% fully jabbed the whole country will be opened up and there will be no more lockdowns. When we reach 70% there will be very few restrictions and lockdowns will be much more geograohically limited.  In the meantime I think the consensus is that NSW's response to this current outbreak was too half-hearted. The most successful strategy seems to be short intense lockdowns until contact tracing has tracked every case. I think this is why Qld has opted for 3 days.

I think we'll reach 80% double-jabbed adults within 4 months. Very few people agree with me, judging by the media I've seen.

80% double jabbed in three months?

So far I believe Australia has vaccinated about 31% once and 11% twice that’s in about 6 or 7 months.

If you have a sufficient supply of the vaccines to achieve this, experience around the world says that the practicalities of widespread vaccination and the resistance to having it by some and the prevarication by others means it could take much longer.

What’s the population figure for all Australia? About 26 million?

Holland has about 17 million people and they have achieved 50% double dosed to date (about six months of vaccinations).

The best practice sees a delay between first and second jabs between 8 and 12 weeks. Less than that and the vaccine is less effective.

Three months?  That’s about the best time between first and second jabs.

I hope you are right FD, you know the Aussie way and people better than me.  I suspect it will take longer.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Graham said:

80% double jabbed in three months?

So far I believe Australia has vaccinated about 31% once and 11% twice that’s in about 6 or 7 months.

If you have a sufficient supply of the vaccines to achieve this, experience around the world says that the practicalities of widespread vaccination and the resistance to having it by some and the prevarication by others means it could take much longer.

What’s the population figure for all Australia? About 26 million?

Holland has about 17 million people and they have achieved 50% double dosed to date (about six months of vaccinations).

The best practice sees a delay between first and second jabs between 8 and 12 weeks. Less than that and the vaccine is less effective.

Three months?  That’s about the best time between first and second jabs.

I hope you are right FD, you know the Aussie way and people better than me.  I suspect it will take longer.

The first thing to point out is that the commencement of our vaccine rollout was a disaster. It took a couple of months to get back on track.

We have 20 million adults, so fully jabbed = 40 million doses

80% of that = 32 million doses.

Already jabbed = 12 million doses

Remaining jabs to reach 80% double-jabbed = 20 million doses.

Current jab rate = 1.2 million doses/week

20 million doses @ 1.2 million/ week = 16.6 weeks.

I think we can go faster than the current rate. In my area there is a 1-week wait at most GPs to get a shot, even 30 days at some.We started out targetting certain groups who, in many cases, were the least mobile, so the process was slow. Our rates among over-50s are fairly high, up around 70% in some older age groups. Now we can move to the more mobile segments of society. There was no point in having mass vaccination sites for over-70s but they are viable for over-20s and we will be opening the jab up to those people very soon.

By mid-September we will phase out the Astra Zeneca shot which is the only one to have gathered any negative publicity, IMO massively overblown.

I think the original strategy was wrong but justifiable. Since the majority of deaths were in older people, the highest priority was given to older people. I think they should have done that but also had centres in the main cities where they would jab anyone who walked in off the street. Of the 2 main goals, we were too focussed on protecting the most vulnerable and lost sight of the other goal, building the general herd immunity.

As part of a revised draw, the NRL announced that:

South Sydney Rabbitohs’ game with the St George Illawarra Dragons, originally scheduled to take place on Saturday in Rockhampton at 3pm, will be played on Sunday at 6.25pm at Suncorp Stadium.

Canberra Raiders’ top-eight battle with the Newcastle Knights, originally scheduled to take place on Saturday at Suncorp Stadium at 5.30pm, will be played on Sunday at 1.50pm at Suncorp Stadium.

Melbourne Storm’s grand final rematch with the Penrith Panthers, originally scheduled to take place on Saturday at Suncorp Stadium at 7.35pm, will be played on Sunday at 4.05pm at Suncorp Stadium.

– Sunday’s clash between Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs and the Gold Coast Titans, and Manly Sea Eagles’ match-up with the Cronulla Sharks will now be played at 6pm and 8.05pm respectively on Monday evening.

That is an amazing turnaround @Farmduck. To be told “no games in Queensland this weekend” to completing the round one day later is astonishing.

They haven’t been getting much praise on this forum the last week or so, but this is a brilliant outcome for the NRL.

5 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

That is an amazing turnaround @Farmduck. To be told “no games in Queensland this weekend” to completing the round one day later is astonishing.

They haven’t been getting much praise on this forum the last week or so, but this is a brilliant outcome for the NRL.

Yes but they have been maintaining a lockdown much tougher than the general public for extended periods and have demonstrated how seriously they take it by standing down and fining players who breach the conditions. Being in Qld has helped because the number of cases there is tiny. I think if they were still in Sydney they would have been cancelled until numbers got down to zero again.

If anyone is interested here is our vaccination roll-out status in Canada as of July 27th., 4 days ago.   Now it is a Federal Government News release so of course it pats themselves on the back, but the key percentages of 80% and 64% are legitimate.

A News Release from The Government of Canada.

From the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Government of Canada made a commitment to protect the health and safety of all Canadians. That is why the government has worked hard to ensure that everyone across the country could access vaccines as soon as they were proven to be safe and effective. The government will continue to do everything that is necessary so that every eligible person in Canada who wants a vaccine can get one – because no one is safe until everyone is safe.

The Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, today announced that with its most recent shipment, Canada has now received more than 66 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines – enough to fully vaccinate every eligible person in Canada – two months ahead of the original goal of September.

This milestone in the largest immunization campaign in Canada’s history is the result of a proactive procurement approach, focused on building a diverse vaccine portfolio. As vaccines were authorized by Health Canada, the government remained engaged with vaccine suppliers to speed up delivery schedules and get as many doses into the country as quickly as possible. Canada continues to be a world leader in vaccination rates, with over 80 per cent of eligible people in the country vaccinated with their first dose and approximately 64 per cent fully vaccinated.

3 hours ago, Cameron Highlander said:

If anyone is interested here is our vaccination roll-out status in Canada as of July 27th., 4 days ago.   Now it is a Federal Government News release so of course it pats themselves on the back, but the key percentages of 80% and 64% are legitimate.

A News Release from The Government of Canada.

From the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Government of Canada made a commitment to protect the health and safety of all Canadians. That is why the government has worked hard to ensure that everyone across the country could access vaccines as soon as they were proven to be safe and effective. The government will continue to do everything that is necessary so that every eligible person in Canada who wants a vaccine can get one – because no one is safe until everyone is safe.

The Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, today announced that with its most recent shipment, Canada has now received more than 66 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines – enough to fully vaccinate every eligible person in Canada – two months ahead of the original goal of September.

This milestone in the largest immunization campaign in Canada’s history is the result of a proactive procurement approach, focused on building a diverse vaccine portfolio. As vaccines were authorized by Health Canada, the government remained engaged with vaccine suppliers to speed up delivery schedules and get as many doses into the country as quickly as possible. Canada continues to be a world leader in vaccination rates, with over 80 per cent of eligible people in the country vaccinated with their first dose and approximately 64 per cent fully vaccinated.

UK So far, more than 46 million people have had a first vaccine dose - nearly 90% of the adult population - and more than 37 million - over 70% of adults - have had both doses.

1 hour ago, Graham said:

UK So far, more than 46 million people have had a first vaccine dose - nearly 90% of the adult population - and more than 37 million - over 70% of adults - have had both doses.

Thanks for sharing Graham.  I am soooooo perplexed about the recent confirmed cases scenario in the U.K., given the stellar vaccination %-age rates that you quote above.  Stats on recent number of confirmed U.K. cases - in the 7 days ending July 16th, ~277K cases - in the 7 days ending July 23rd., ~310K cases - and in the 7 days ending July 30th., ~195K cases. That totals ~782K in 21 days for a 37K+ average per day.  To compare with Canada, ~36 million population or 55%-60% of the U.K.'s, in the same 21 day period we have had ~11K total new confirmed cases.   And I'm SXXT scared of what we see in the U.K. maybe starting to replicate itself over here. `  I'm a numbers-type guy Graham so for me this whole Covid-19 statistics scenario is like being a kid locked in a sweetie shop....LOL.  BTW, my source for statistics since day 1 of the pandemic, March 17, 2020 in Canada, has been The Johns Hopkins University Covid-19 website portal. Cheers, and let's hope and pray for much better days ahead.

12 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

As I have said on a different string, Vlandys is de facto premier of Queensland. 8.30am government official states categorically, no football, community or professional.  Vlandys calls the premier and within hours NRL back on but not AFL or community footy.

1 hour ago, Anita Bath said:

As I have said on a different string, Vlandys is de facto premier of Queensland. 8.30am government official states categorically, no football, community or professional.  Vlandys calls the premier and within hours NRL back on but not AFL or community footy.

Lol, you’re not wrong. That’s the power of the guy and the power of the strict bio measures the NRL are adopting.

After 56 min, Knights lead 24 - 12

Klemmer denied a try. I think the padding on the post stopped him from reaching the line. He got the ball down but it wasn't clear whether he's reached the line.

pupxeqfmm6d6p2zhhxqg.gif       33sazy6vnww71kd2rty8.gif

Storm team: 1. Nicholas Hynes 2. Dean Ieremia 3. Reimis Smith 4. Justin Olam 5. Josh Addo-Carr 6. Cameron Munster 7. Jahrome Hughes 8. Jesse Bromwich 9. Brandon Smith 10. Christian Welch 11. Felise Kaufusi 12. Kenneath Bromwich 13. Dale Finucane

16. Chris Lewis 17. Ryan Papenhuyzen 19. Harry Grant 20. Jordan Grant.

18th man: 22. Tepai Moreoa

Panthers team: 1. Dylan Edwards 2. Charlie Staines 3. Stephen Crichton 4. Brent Naden 5. Robert Jennings 6. Matt Burton 7. Jarome Luai 8. Moses Leota 9. Mitch Kenny 10. Liam Martin 11. Viliame Kikau 12. Kurt Capewell 13. Matthew Eisenhuth

14. Izack Tago 15. Scott Sorensen 16. Spencer Leniu 17. J’maine Hopgood

18th man: 18. Paul Momirovski

12min: Ieremia try off an Addo Carr kick. Last pass to JAC looked a bit marginal.

Munster goal.

Storm 10 - 0

Hynes limping, can't take the goal kick.

35min: Papenhousing penalty goal. Some confusion there about whether he was allowed to kick since he had just come on. Was he out there when the penalty was blown?

Storm  18 - 0

Archived