League Restructure Thread (Merged Threads)

As reported by Johnny Davidson. According to him, The RFL are due to meet today with the clubs to discuss the future of Super League, Championship and League One. Also, no relegation from Super League is allegedly on the cards. 

Groundhog Day. I’m off to buy some ale at lunch to forget today.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

As reported by Johnny Davidson. According to him, The RFL are due to meet today with the clubs to discuss the future of Super League, Championship and League One. Also, no relegation from Super League is allegedly on the cards. 

Before the pub opens Hela  what would be your ideal outcome from the meeting, the way you have posed the statement I am wondering are the SL not involved, and if they are who would be the representatives, and is that a select number of clubs or all clubs top to bottom?

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Before the pub opens Hela  what would be your ideal outcome from the meeting, the way you have posed the statement I am wondering are the SL not involved, and if they are who would be the representatives, and is that a select number of clubs or all clubs top to bottom?

From what Davidson has wrote, Super League are involved in these discussions.

As for what my outcome from the meeting would be, a roadmap that’s longer than my front drive, tbh, and one thats not going to be binned in eighteen months for a mish-mash of two or three previous structures that we’ve used before that will then be binned eighteen months after for something else we’ve done before. 

In 66AD the Roman writer Caius Petronius wrote:

'We trained very hard, but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams, we would be reorganised. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganising and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency and demoralisation.'

Rugby League - the game that keeps tradition alive.

I have less issue with reorgs driven by necessity, which i think we currently have. To survive we may need to make some hard choices.  The world has changed, we cant ignore that. 

This isn;t one of the normal case of chasing the silver bullet imho.

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Deckchairs. Titanic.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

SL will go their own way grabbing what they can at the expense of the whole of Rugby League.

The time has come for "A Second Great Schism." SL is akin to how RU forced RL into existence. The sooner the "rest" see it the better for the whole game from grassroots to the semi-pro game.

The game is now dominated by six teams, surely that can't be right?

Let SL go and combine the championship with League 1 as one division - like it used to be, and it worked!

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I have less issue with reorgs driven by necessity, which i think we currently have. To survive we may need to make some hard choices.  The world has changed, we cant ignore that. 

I don't have a problem with some form of 'tactical' short term decisions given the situation we're in, but I'd like to see it coupled with some longer term road map to build our way out of it.

Hopefully it's a bit more substantial than just looking at structure (as per the thread title, admittedly I haven't seen the report referenced in the OP).

Given what was said about Davy's role when he took that on fingers crossed these meetings are him and the RFL presenting back to the clubs some form of joined-up whole-game plan not just for next season but also how we intend to move the sport into growth as we go into negotiations for the next TV deal.

11 minutes ago, LeeF said:

What would be common sense in this instance?

A structure based on what's best for the mediocre eight teams in the middle, no funding for anyone below them, and the Super League to be a 39 game season with 12 team play offs.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I do rather think the conversations will be about P&R, funding, number of teams in the pro game and governance structures - which seem perfectly sensible, and possibly negligent to not do so based on the new TV deal and the ongoing pandemic impacts.

21 minutes ago, Dave T said:

What if that was keeping all SL clubs protected from relegation and no promotion from the Championship? Essentially keeping a club there that may lose every single SL game and denying a club that wins every single Championship game.

44 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Totally agree we are presently riding down a road to nowhere or perhaps oblivion, the game is much more than just the 12 clubs at the top of the pyramid there is hell of a lot to reorganise at all levels.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Totally agree we are presently riding down a road to nowhere or perhaps oblivion, the game is much more than just the 12 clubs at the top of the pyramid there is hell of a lot to reorganise at all levels.

I do also think people competely overstate the structure thing in RL. It is perfectly normal for sports comps to change and adapt, but when we do it it is a huge issue. Like I said elsewhere, the toxicity is rife.

Just now, Ooh Ah Timmy Street said:

One of the suggestions(according to John Davidson), is that the bottom four of league 1 will get culled this season .  

for arguments sake, let’s say that is Coventry , West Wales , North Wales and London Skolars. That’s a number of player pathways just wiped from the game .  

So we save approximately £300,000 there. Right, what’s the plan with that then? 

14 minutes ago, Scubby said:

What if that was keeping all SL clubs protected from relegation and no promotion from the Championship? Essentially keeping a club there that may lose every single SL game and denying a club that wins every single Championship game.

People can make their own minds up about their preferences. 

BUt I suspect some people would celebrate the above scenario if it was Catalans protected vs Leigh/Fev, and hate it if it is Leigh protected vs Toulouse.

Just now, Dave T said:

People can make their own minds up about their preferences. 

BUt I suspect some people would celebrate the above scenario if it was Catalans protected vs Leigh/Fev, and hate it if it is Leigh protected vs Toulouse.

There is a logic to protecting Catalans that doesn't extend to protecting a club surrounded by other clubs though.

Not saying it's the right point of view but it's not *necessarily* hypocritical to support some protection and not others.

16 minutes ago, Scubby said:

No P&R then, wait for the Nail, Hammer and Coffin Lid to happen.

Archived