League Restructure Thread (Merged Threads)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Don't expect any announcements today other than an announcement that there will eventually be an announcement.

Right on cue https://www.superleague.co.uk/article/2152/statement-|-focused-on-the-future?fbclid=IwAR2VAAn60sEBoZ8EjVBkWfGIMSdFpDw86Wlmmf-S_PL9_mu3vsEUbaCmvL4

a predictably bland statement, with Rimmer’s comment being the most pointless aspect of it. 

18 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Right on cue https://www.superleague.co.uk/article/2152/statement-|-focused-on-the-future?fbclid=IwAR2VAAn60sEBoZ8EjVBkWfGIMSdFpDw86Wlmmf-S_PL9_mu3vsEUbaCmvL4

a predictably bland statement, with Rimmer’s comment being the most pointless aspect of it. 

The next meeting is without any of the Championship and League 1 clubs and probably without Ralph Rimmer.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Ah, the old expidite system governed by the swinging pendulum of the reversible throbatron.

Yes but with added spit on index finger held in air line judgement.

23 minutes ago, Eddie said:

In these times isn't 'steakholders'  offensive to vegans, shouldn't 'Nut Cutlet' holders be our go to word. Perhaps another meeting and a working party is required to establish the right description, seems they have little else that's important to be worrying about.

2 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

So York who were drawing 2000 in the RFL Champ  pre covid are not going to get more than Salford´s 3677 average attendance? They aren´t going to match Huddersfields 5000 attendance? (In an 8000 capacity stadium so it will look better on TV also) Come on... 

But how would York's attendances hold up when they are getting beat every week? I really do not get the love in for Newcastle and York.

13 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

But how would York's attendances hold up when they are getting beat every week? I really do not get the love in for Newcastle and York.w

How would Halifax's attendances hold up if they were getting beat each week? What are they now even? Everyone can say that sort of stuff.

2 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Because they have commercial opportunities and are more attractive to TV companies. Plus they could be future winners of the comp unlike say Fev who will never get close (no disrepect to Fev). Think York would shift enough season tickets to hold up and Newcastle would spend the cap if they came up, it wouldn´t be a Leigh situation. Also 5,000-6 k looks better in a 8 to 10k stadium than Huddersfield´s oversized box. 

Everything you are saying is hyperthetical. Who would have thought Cas and Salford would make the Grand Final when they were in the stuck in the second tier? What is to say that Fev could never win the competition? For me its one of the reasons I have lost most of my interest in the pro sport, we are more interested in manufacturing teams to get them in the top division rather than letting teams grow organically on the field and giving them a chance to take the ball and run with it. The game now is all about self interest and the teams in SL protecting themselves because they know they are screwed if they were to drop down a division.

12 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

But how would York's attendances hold up when they are getting beat every week? I really do not get the love in for Newcastle and York.

For my money, York are one of the best clubs in terms of their digital marketing presence and offering, which will pay off for them in the future. They also seem heavily invested in their local community and obviously they have a brand new stadium which will help them long-term.

Newcastle seem to have one of the best academy and community programmes - building themselves a proper base locally. The number of community clubs that have sprung up and are being maintained under the Thunder brand will only cause increased interest down the line.

The love-in is not because these are two clubs that are ready for Super League right now, but because they're two clubs that have a vision for the future of their respective clubs and are making positive, long-term changes towards that. Lots of Rugby League comes across as short-termist, so these guys stand out as beacons because of their longer term view. There are other examples out there, for example Coventry are really starting to build their community profile.

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

How would Halifax's attendances hold up if they were getting beat each week? What are they now even? Everyone can say that sort of stuff.

Exactly, nobody knows. Putting a team in SL because people think they maybe a success is a recipe for disaster.

5 hours ago, Ooh Ah Timmy Street said:

One of the suggestions(according to John Davidson), is that the bottom four of league 1 will get culled this season .  

for arguments sake, let’s say that is Coventry , West Wales , North Wales and London Skolars. That’s a number of player pathways just wiped from the game .  

Coventry are actually making an effort to grow the game so this would be a mistake.

15 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Because they have commercial opportunities and are more attractive to TV companies. Plus they could be future winners of the comp unlike say Fev who will never get close (no disrepect to Fev). Think York would shift enough season tickets to hold up and Newcastle would spend the cap if they came up, it wouldn´t be a Leigh situation. Also 5,000-6 k looks better in a 8 to 10k stadium than Huddersfield´s oversized box. 

Are YCK attractive to TV companies? Which ones? 

1 minute ago, zylya said:

For my money, York are one of the best clubs in terms of their digital marketing presence and offering, which will pay off for them in the future. They also seem heavily invested in their local community and obviously they have a brand new stadium which will help them long-term.

Newcastle seem to have one of the best academy and community programmes - building themselves a proper base locally. The number of community clubs that have sprung up and are being maintained under the Thunder brand will only cause increased interest down the line.

The love-in is not because these are two clubs that are ready for Super League right now, but because they're two clubs that have a vision for the future of their respective clubs and are making positive, long-term changes towards that. Lots of Rugby League comes across as short-termist, so these guys stand out as beacons because of their longer term view. There are other examples out there, for example Coventry are really starting to build their community profile.

That's great but personally I don't think a team being put in SL because they make a few posts on Twitter is a good idea. As Ken Davey says, its all about the players and product on the pitch for me.

Keep the SL at 12 and have 2 up and 2 down from Championship. Just have home and away fixtures and reduce the play-offs from 6 to 4 or even just have a final for the top 2 in SL.

2 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Exactly, nobody knows. Putting a team in SL because people think they maybe a success is a recipe for disaster.

But also I've been to Halifax where they have had 6-7k for a bog standard top flight game and Rothmans shows that a few years before that they were getting 2k. Sometimes Fax struggle to break 1000-1500 in recent years. The success is based on what you are willing to put into your club and its potential not what it is achieving now. 

4 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

That's great but personally I don't think a team being put in SL because they make a few posts on Twitter is a good idea. As Ken Davey says, its all about the players and product on the pitch for me.

I didn't say put them in Super League, I just said that they're growing and will get there eventually. The discussion started because someone suggested that they should stop promotion and relegation to protect the existing Super League clubs, many of which aren't growing.

Just because you've tried to reduce the whole of digital marketing to "making a few posts on Twitter" it doesn't mean that these clubs aren't building their profile which will help them to assemble stronger squads in the future.

The whole point is that the system needs to ALLOW these clubs the chance to get promoted, not close that option off to protect current teams. No one is suggesting that they be given a spot freely, only that they be allowed to contest for those spots in future.

13 minutes ago, Scubby said:

But also I've been to Halifax where they have had 6-7k for a bog standard top flight game and Rothmans shows that a few years before that they were getting 2k. Sometimes Fax struggle to break 1000-1500 in recent years. The success is based on what you are willing to put into your club and its potential not what it is achieving now. 

I don't get what you are saying. Are you against putting teams in SL as franchises or for letting teams like Halifax, who once had crowds of 2k but went on to get crowds of 6-8k, try and grow naturally and earn the right to play in SL?

16 minutes ago, zylya said:

I didn't say put them in Super League, I just said that they're growing and will get there eventually. The discussion started because someone suggested that they should stop promotion and relegation to protect the existing Super League clubs, many of which aren't growing.

Just because you've tried to reduce the whole of digital marketing to "making a few posts on Twitter" it doesn't mean that these clubs aren't building their profile which will help them to assemble stronger squads in the future.

The whole point is that the system needs to ALLOW these clubs the chance to get promoted, not close that option off to protect current teams. No one is suggesting that they be given a spot freely, only that they be allowed to contest for those spots in future.

I totally agree with what you said as long as contest for these spots in the future means by promotion and relegation on the field.

Like for me I can never see London as a SL team but they deserved a chance because they earnt it on the field. Now if we were just to stick them in SL just because of their location then I only see this as a bad thing for the longterm future of the game.

5 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

It might seem a bit of a distraction given everything else that's going on, but this meeting was surely coming and is very important. 

If the reports are to believed, we've signed a short-term extension to the TV deal at reduced rates, which inevitably means less money to go around and difficult choices to make. 

Whether we make the right decisions is of course debatable, but they have to be made.

Rugby League and the right decision don’t really go hand in hand. 

1 minute ago, The Blues Ox said:

I don't get what you are saying. Are you against putting teams in SL as franchises or for letting teams like Halifax, who once had crowds of 2k but went on to get crowds of 6-8k, try and grow naturally and earn the right to play in SL?

I am saying Halifax have had decades to show what good years bring and what fallow years bring. Saying Newcastle have a ceiling because they are new is just a waste of time. That ceiling maybe 5k, it may be 10k - what they have is potential as many new clubs like Whitehaven and Sheffield once had. People were probably saying the same about Catalans 15 years ago. Now they have more members than all but 3-4 clubs in the UK system. 

1 minute ago, The Blues Ox said:

I totally agree with what you said as long as contest for these spots in the future means by promotion and relegation on the field.

Like for me I can never see London as a SL team but they deserved a chance because they earnt it on the field. Now if we were just to stick them in SL just because of their location then I only see this as a bad thing for the longterm future of the game.

London could be a SL team but mismanagement has prevented that. How can a club put down routes if they constantly move? The owners have never made a serious effort to grow the game in the city. The lack of community clubs also prevents growth.

Archived