League Restructure Thread (Merged Threads)

6 hours ago, Ooh Ah Timmy Street said:

One of the suggestions(according to John Davidson), is that the bottom four of league 1 will get culled this season .  

for arguments sake, let’s say that is Coventry , West Wales , North Wales and London Skolars. That’s a number of player pathways just wiped from the game .  

Clubs who are adding to the sport, and don't appear to be taking away much.

York and Bradford were bust a handful of years ago, good job they didn't cull them then.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I am saying Halifax have had decades to show what good years bring and what fallow years bring. Saying Newcastle have a ceiling because they are new is just a waste of time. That ceiling maybe 5k, it may be 10k - what they have is potential as many new clubs like Whitehaven and Sheffield once had. People were probably saying the same about Catalans 15 years ago. Now they have more members than all but 3-4 clubs in the UK system. 

You are right we don't know what their ceiling is but does dumping them in SL and having them get beat every week help to find out what it is? 

19 minutes ago, POR said:

Now the dust has settled lets not forget this gem

Subjects covered included  new competitions to help grow the game commercially. 😁

Some kind of global tournament for teams representing nations?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

23 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Which is why replacing loop fixtures with four fixtures against some sub standard Championship dross in a fourteen team competition is short sighted and daft. Build value in Super League through scarcity in league fixtures and leave gaps in the calendar to play internationals throughout the year to build that side of the game with tests with northern hemisphere nations and Combined Nations. 

Diminishing returns, when 12 teams aren't strong enough go to 10 and so on.

No business increases by reducing its numbers. We cannot develop players or keep youth in the game if they have fewer opportunities.

14 is absolutely the right decision, the only reason it's 12 is you get 1/12 of the money rather than 1/14th. The problem is you can have a bigger slice of a smaller pie, it's still less overall 

3 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

Diminishing returns, when 12 teams aren't strong enough go to 19 and so on.

No business increases by reducing its numbers. We cannot develop players or keep youth in the game if they have fewer opportunities.

14 is absolutely the right decision, the only reason it's 12 is you get 1/12 of the money rather than 1/14th. The problem is you can have a bigger slice of a smaller pie, it's still less overall 

Thats the problem, some of the current SL clubs are so badly managed that they are living so hand to mouth that even a small drop could send them over the edge which is why its really unlikely that they ever go to 14 teams. 

20 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Bring back the Regal Trophy. 

I quite liked the Regal Trophy.   And the County Cups.   There was always something to look forward to once you got knocked out of a competition.  Another one was just around the corner.

Different days though.   You can't imagine fitting in all those midweek games these days.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

9 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Some kind of global tournament for teams representing nations?

Ooh, a "cup" with teams from all round the "world" competing....now to think of a name for it.

1 minute ago, dkw said:

Ooh, a "cup" with teams from all round the "world" competing....now to think of a name for it.

How about The World-Except-Australia-and-New-Zealand Cup ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

On a different tack. They may be discussing something I think should happen , reducing the number of Australasian players put up by their agents to SL clubs as they cannot get a place in their so called super competition, and hoping to dump them on us. at a salary much more than some of our GB lads are on. Now that Sky have reduced our pot we should be reducing their numbers and look to the Championship for ready made replacements for players retiring or past it.at a sustainable salary. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Right on cue https://www.superleague.co.uk/article/2152/statement-|-focused-on-the-future?fbclid=IwAR2VAAn60sEBoZ8EjVBkWfGIMSdFpDw86Wlmmf-S_PL9_mu3vsEUbaCmvL4

a predictably bland statement, with Rimmer’s comment being the most pointless aspect of it. 

I bet the sarnies got sorted out in the buffet break its about the only thing some of this lot could do.

1 minute ago, The Blues Ox said:

Thats the problem, some of the current SL clubs are so badly managed that they are living so hand to mouth that even a small drop could send them over the edge which is why its really unlikely that they ever go to 14 teams. 

Easy to sit back and criticise every suggestion but what should we do?  Sit back and do nothing in hope that it all comes good?

The state of the UK game, imo, is at a critical point where it appears rudderless with little direction from above.  Serious decisions have to be made by club owners around growing the community game,  genuine development of youth infrastructures as well as improving crowds through game day experience.  

I have an idea that some clubs self interests will conquer any collective strategy objectives though.  I really do hope I am wrong.

1 minute ago, haskey said:

I have just read" RL Live" and I see clubs are clamouring to bring in Aussies WHY

Short term gains or as other would call it, an utter lack of vision for the game.

15 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

I understand clubs will never vote to have a smaller slice but the decision should be based on what's best for the overall health of the game.

If we wait until every club is in a position of wealth we will never change anything 

17 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Just for the avoidance of doubt (as this gets said quite a lot in throw away comments), which clubs are you referring to as being 'so badly managed?

11 minutes ago, haskey said:

On a different tack. They may be discussing something I think should happen , reducing the number of Australasian players put up by their agents to SL clubs as they cannot get a place in their so called super competition, and hoping to dump them on us. at a salary much more than some of our GB lads are on. Now that Sky have reduced our pot we should be reducing their numbers and look to the Championship for ready made replacements for players retiring or past it.at a sustainable salary. 

That's ideally a solution to increasing your playing squad but I'm not sure it's that easy. Some players earn more working and playing championship than some SL clubs would be willing to pay, and they lose a job which they will need after life in rugby 

10 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Easy to sit back and criticise every suggestion but what should we do?  Sit back and do nothing in hope that it all comes good?

The state of the UK game, imo, is at a critical point where it appears rudderless with little direction from above.  Serious decisions have to be made by club owners around growing the community game,  genuine development of youth infrastructures as well as improving crowds through game day experience.  

I have an idea that some clubs self interests will conquer any collective strategy objectives though.  I really do hope I am wrong.

Good post. 

I am actually a little less bothered on the growing crowds element than I am with the bits in bold, which I think are more important. Obviously it's not one or the other and everything is intertwined, so crowds are important too.

But TV viewership, broadening the sport's appeal (club rugby isn't going to achieve that) and club standards are really key as well. 

We are at a crossroads; our 'friends' in the SH are not going to help. We need to deliver change for the long term future of the game in England and the NH.

6 hours ago, Ooh Ah Timmy Street said:

One of the suggestions(according to John Davidson), is that the bottom four of league 1 will get culled this season .  

for arguments sake, let’s say that is Coventry , West Wales , North Wales and London Skolars. That’s a number of player pathways just wiped from the game .  

The sport is in a dire & desperate need to find new audiences, new sponsors & raise the profile of the game - so we consider a cull of 4 teams that are actually doing exactly that - Absolute Madness!!! 🙁

9 minutes ago, dead man inc said:

The sport is in a dire & desperate need to find new audiences, new sponsors & raise the profile of the game - so we consider a cull of 4 teams that are actually doing exactly that - Absolute Madness!!! 🙁

Turns out ... it’s more than 4 who are about to be culled

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 minutes ago, dead man inc said:

I'm not adverse to culling clubs if they are taking a grant but delivering little/nothing in a range of criteria, including those you have mentioned, including those in non-heartland areas. 

3 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I'm not adverse to culling clubs if they are taking a grant but delivering little/nothing in a range of criteria, including those you have mentioned, including those in non-heartland areas. 

Name the clubs you feel should be culled then.

Just now, NW10LDN said:

Name the clubs you feel should be culled then.

No idea. It would need to be based on a  set of criteria dependent on which level each club is currently operating at; minimum standards at each level. If all clubs meet each respective grade, they should stay IMO.

Archived