League Restructure Thread (Merged Threads)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Judging by that Matthew Shaw article under the proposal it discusses the clubs outside the top 20 will not be culled so much as being formed into a 16 club league one that will have significantly less funding allocated than the division above it. If that proposed format is adopted there will be an almighty scramble for 6th place in the Championship in 2022. Unfortunately we will probably see financial collapse by the clubs that just miss out after they have spent lots in an effort to make the top 6.

The new competitions hinted at previously presumably would be a way of topping up the 9 home games in each division rather than having loop fixtures.

1 minute ago, wiganermike said:

Judging by that Matthew Shaw article under the proposal it discusses the clubs outside the top 20 will not be culled so much as being formed into a 16 club league one that will have significantly less funding allocated than the division above it. If that proposed format is adopted there will be an almighty scramble for 6th place in the Championship in 2022. Unfortunately we will probably see financial collapse by the clubs that just miss out after they have spent lots in an effort to make the top 6.

The new competitions hinted at previously presumably would be a way of topping up the 9 home games in each division rather than having loop fixtures.

Thanks, I hadn’t read that extra detail about the 16 club league one.

Guess once you’re in there you’re really treading water.

I share your concern that clubs will overreach in the scramble to make the top 20.

6 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

So Matthew Shaw is reporting a Super League of 2 divisions of ten (presumably not conferences)?

Guess that means funding only for those 20, with a big drop off from the first 10 to the other 10.

Do the rest try and join the amateur setup, bet the house on a place, merge with neighbours?

Grim.

He does seem to suggest two divisions as he mentions P&R between them. It seems an odd way to go about it to expand by 2 only to immediately relegate 4. Equal conferences would allow cross conference games to add more home games without repeat fixtures but it seems unlikely it would be anything other than a two tiered divisions.

People need to stop coming out with nonsense like xxxxx are attractive to TV companies. They said it about London, they said it about Salford, neither true. 

What TV companies want are strong buoyant teams playing good rugby putting on a good show for the cameras in modern facilities with good crowds. That's what makes good TV.

Do we really think Warrington, Wigan and St Helens are important towns for TV? Are they hell, but they do well for the TV companies and they get covered plenty. 

Really strong clubs is the most important point, that's what partners want. 

The name York really isn't a draw in sport. 

17 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

All 3 Cumbria clubs potentially gone under that plan. So much for caring about the game in the North.

Not gone, but with little or no central funding in a 16 team league 1 below the 2 tier super league as I understand it. 

13 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

He does seem to suggest two divisions as he mentions P&R between them. It seems an odd way to go about it to expand by 2 only to immediately relegate 4. Equal conferences would allow cross conference games to add more home games without repeat fixtures but it seems unlikely it would be anything other than a two tiered divisions.

As I read it, they'll relegate 6 with 2 replaced by promoted teams.

Just now, Barley Mow said:

Not gone, but with little or no central funding in a 16 team league 1 below the 2 tier super league as I understand it. 

Almost the same thing. A lot of 16 clubs will pack it in and return to the community game.

38 minutes ago, Spidey said:

That makes truly depressing reading. There is a complete failure to acknowledge the problems the sport faces. Let's just make the pot smaller and divide it less ways and come up with a boring, repetitive league structure. If we call it Super League 1 and 2 then maybe no one will notice.

I really can't see how this makes the game more attractive to fans, viewers, broadcasters or commercial partners. If anything I think it's the complete opposite. 

1 minute ago, Damien said:

That makes truly depressing reading. There is a complete failure to acknowledge the problems the sport faces. Let's just make the pot smaller and divide it less ways and come up with a boring, repetitive league structure. If we call it Super League 1 and 2 then maybe no one will notice.

I really can't see how this makes the game more attractive to fans, viewers, broadcasters or commercial partners. If anything I think it's the complete opposite. 

Spot on. 

It spreads the finite financial resource further, with absolutely no guarantee of increasing any revenue streams from a "SL2" TV contract. 

2 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

Almost the same thing. A lot of 16 clubs will pack it in and return to the community game.

I'll reserve judgement for the time being, but think many of the existing league 1 clubs may well be more resilient to such a change than current championship clubs who just miss out on a SL2 place.

5 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Spot on. 

It spreads the finite financial resource further, with absolutely no guarantee of increasing any revenue streams from a "SL2" TV contract. 

Absolutely, it's crazy. It's like no one learned from the middle 8s and wasting money by going for a full time 2nd tier that no one was interested in really paying for. Outside football 2nd tier sport will never attract TV deals to make full time competitions worthwhile. Put the money into making the top tier as attractive as you can to appeal to broadcasters. That is what Sky are paying for.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

Absolutely, it's crazy. It's like no one learned from the middle 8s and wasting money by going for a full time 2nd tier that no one was interested in really paying for. Outside football 2nd tier sport will never attract TV deals to make full time competitions worthwhile. Put the money into making the top tier as attractive as you can to appeal to broadcasters. That is what Sky are paying for.

Leadership, leadership, leadership. We have a thread on that and Rimmer. The sport in England/NH needs to make some hard choices. Not reinventing the same wheel expecting different results.

10 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

As I read it, they'll relegate 6 with 2 replaced by promoted teams.

No, as described in the article this year has no relegation from SL and 2 up from Championship. Next year 14 team SL with the bottom 4 relegated into a division with the top 6 from the Championship. So in 2022 no-one is promoted from Championship but the top 6 remain in the second tier with the rest below them relegated into the 16 team League 1.

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

I say again. We are a rudderless ship and have been for some time.

Not offering any Support to Toronto which in my opinion could have opened up the possibility and note i say possibility of getting a foothold in the most lucrative sports market in the world and the decision to replace them with Leigh. Lets not forget the waste of space Robert Elstone who come up with the idea of replacing Toronto with Leigh and how many millions did he cost the game and lets not forget the idea who wanted to prostitute the game to a private equity firm.

The decision to ask the Catalans to pay a bond to enter the Challenge cup when they were the holders. Who came up with that idea. I also thought not letting Manchester Rangers enter league 1 was another own goal.I can go on but i need to lay down in a darken room and calm down

12 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Leadership, leadership, leadership. We have a thread on that and Rimmer. The sport in England/NH needs to make some hard choices. Not reinventing the same wheel expecting different results.

So, are they going to have 20 full-time clubs, each with their own elite academy, development pathways, community development teams, commitment to and funding for increasing their fanbase etc?

4 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

So, are they going to have 20 full-time clubs, each with their own elite academy, development pathways, community development teams, commitment to and funding for increasing their fanbase etc?

That's not what the article says. Still refers to part time clubs in "SL2". Fundamental issue right there...

Archived