League Restructure Thread (Merged Threads)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, steve oates said:

Thanks for your reply David but I don't we have enough quality youth players who can grow into the "opportunities".

Every Superleague club makes sure they pick up half a team or more of ex-NRL players including the naughty ones, the lazy ones, the past it ones, the done something wrong and got chucked out ones.  Then they manage half a team of quality English players  after which the best young lads from their academies make up the numbers.

I can remember when there were no players coming from "down under" and we filled teams with English talent.....

I think it's chicken and egg situation Steve.

Without opportunities, players will go elsewhere, clubs will sign NRL quick fixes.

The situation isn't great for young players, after the academy, they will, if lucky enough be offered a full time contract. This for most will be approx £20k. This sounds great, 19 year old, no quals, playing the game they love and being developed all whilst being paid. Or alternatively, I'm being tied down on a low wage, cannot start a job and get a skill or work experience, I'm unlikely to break into the first team for a few years, in which time I'll not play as there's no reserves or linked loan options. If they don't fancy me in a couple of years I'm searching for a Championship club, part time, low wage, often tied in with games and wins and still no trade or real life work experience. 

The attraction of having a social life, getting a job, some quals and a potential career that will last longer than rugby is quite attractive.

Some stay, some leave, some lose interest, it's not that there aren't enough good players I truly believe they are, just the options, the money isn't very attractive, yes there are exceptions, the highly gifted will get more money, those who don't want a real job will take the rugby option but we lose so many.

There's also many drop out between 14-18 in the community game as they feel options have passed.

An NRL player on a good wage can be quick easy and possibly cheaper paying 6 youth a good wage when not all will make it on your system.

So for me it isn't the players but the options, increase teams, increase options, the difficult is and pretty much always has been money, RU and football can pay youth good wages to stop them considering the work option.

I'm not blaming clubs, they do work hard with youth, those with academies, they have to balance the books and manage within their means, it's the situation RL is in, and without further major investment it's worrying.

2 hours ago, Bearman said:

In this edition of League Express Chris Jones writes.

" Sky Sports is the driving force behind the proposal by the RFL to reorganize Super league "

And there you have it. "He who pays the piper calls the tune".

Its no good complaining. They call the shots, we sold our sole and they have us by the goolies.

In the same article it says the RFL are looking for other opportunities to expand such as 9's. They will make it quicker, easier to understand and be a better spectacle. What it will not be is the game that we all fell in love with.

Let's rearrange the deck chairs.

I'm not a fan of 9s but agree it could work for RL just like 20/20 has for cricket.

For me the magic weekend being a 9s tournament sounds ideal

1 minute ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

The ones we've used for magic already, the ones fans have liked, Cardiff and Newcastle I believe are the most popular

So you want 3/4,000 rattling around St James's Park ?

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Because nobody's interested in 9s 

Nobody is interested in a Wigan versus Leigh derby based on yesterday.

If things are taken seriously, marketed and everyone buys into it then 9s could be a big success as a festival type event aimed at families and kids. 

In RL it is likely clubs will moan, criticise the concept and hope it fails. So no it will not work in RL because RL does not put faith into anything for more than 2 minutes.

2 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

You've inserted an assumption that only up to 4k would attend, why? 

The most recent iteration of a 9s tournament we had attracted very poor crowds partly as the clubs didn't take it particularly seriously and used mostly academy players. The danger is that if we replaced the Magic Weekend which is successful with a 9s competition without first assessing proof of concept, level of club buy-in, popularity and demand among the fanbase then we risk repeating that and destroying Magic Weekend as an event.

7 hours ago, Scubby said:

The Storm is a pretty rich franchise now and growing. A lot of the hard work has been done. Before the pandemic, crowds were regularly hitting 15k+ and membership and corporates are increasing. It is also amazingly well run and achieves success without overspending.

They took a decade or more to find their feet and that was where News Ltd's long term commitment helped. Just shows what can happen if you stick and support a long term project eh? The Victorian first grade thing nobody really cares - using that against clubs like Toronto and Catalans shows how flawed that premise is. 

Completely agree; arguably one of the two strongest clubs in the NRL. Nobody cares about how many Victorians are in the squad. Yet the first post replying to this one talked about Canadians in the Toronto side… such a different mentality in RL in England. Compare to the Premier League where nobody gives a hoot about English players if their team is winning… you could argue the rot at London started when the RFL started to listen to the wider sport fan base whinging about the lack of locals/English players in the side. 

A change in mentality/attitude would be a good start in the redevelopment of the sport as well…

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

If things are taken seriously, marketed and everyone buys into it then 9s could be a big success as a festival type event aimed at families and kids. 

In RL it is likely clubs will moan, criticise the concept and hope it fails. So no it will not work in RL because RL does not put faith into anything for more than 2 minutes.

To be fair, this idea is advocating scrapping one of the biggest RL events in the calendar, and something we have had for almost 15 years to bring back the British Coal Nines. 

People seem to hate change, unless it is their idea, then they like change. 

7 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I think it would be wise to run a few 9s tournaments to assess popularity and demand and how committed to sending their front line players clubs are before we looked at replacing a successful event like Magic Weekend with 9s though.

5 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Completely agree; arguably one of the two strongest clubs in the NRL. Nobody cares about how many Victorians are in the squad. Yet the first post replying to this one talked about Canadians in the Toronto side… such a different mentality in RL in England. Compare to the Premier League where nobody gives a hoot about English players if their team is winning… you could argue the rot at London started when the RFL started to listen to the wider sport fan base whinging about the lack of locals/English players in the side. 

A change in mentality/attitude would be a good start in the redevelopment of the sport as well…

How would they react to no Australians in the Melbourne team ?

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

How would they react to no Australians in the Melbourne team ?

No idea. If they are anything like the Canadian mindset, they wouldn’t care. As I said, Premier League club supporters don’t really care; success is what they care about. 

Archived