League Restructure Thread (Merged Threads)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Certain clubs like the ones who can generate the most money and attract the best players , coaches , medical staff etc ? , Those clubs ? , The ones with the best teams ? 

The Premier League is big enough and popular enough not to miss clubs that go down,  even if it is their big clubs. If Leeds, for example, went down then with the loop fixtures that would be all the Leeds games against Wigan, St Helens and Warrington gone, which is a good chunk of the games that the Sky money pays for. Take those games away and Sky wouldn’t want to pay as much when there are fewer of the marquee games to show than there was when Leeds were there.

29 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

Did I dream the mergers of Huddersfield/Sheffield and Hull/Gateshead then?

For the umpteenth time, Gateshead/ Hull was not a merger. Hull Sharks went bust and the RFL moved Gateshead down to Hull lock stock and barrel. As for Huddersfield/Sheffield what a con that was.

1 minute ago, Liverpool Rover said:

The Premier League is big enough and popular enough not to miss clubs that go down,  even if it is their big clubs. If Leeds, for example, went down then with the loop fixtures that would be all the Leeds games against Wigan, St Helens and Warrington gone, which is a good chunk of the games that the Sky money pays for. Take those games away and Sky wouldn’t want to pay as much when there are fewer of the marquee games to show than there was when Leeds were there.

So you're saying the biggest clubs , with the most money don't have the best players ? 

4 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

For the umpteenth time, Gateshead/ Hull was not a merger. Hull Sharks went bust and the RFL moved Gateshead down to Hull lock stock and barrel. As for Huddersfield/Sheffield what a con that was.

I think that's the point he was making 

14 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

I know, lets let's call it "Framing the Future".

Uncle Mo wasn't wrong though was he

It has to be that way now.Shape up or ship out.

What excuses have clubs  got for not having academies when they have been around for 100 years?

What excuses have certain clubs got for nor properly upgrading their grounds?

If in the recent past they have cut their academies as a cost saving exercise they shouldn't be in Super League. If they haven't got the money to upgrade their grounds they really should be in Super League.

28 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Uncle Mo wasn't wrong though was he

It has to be that way now.Shape up or ship out.

What excuses have clubs  got for not having academies when they have been around for 100 years?

What excuses have certain clubs got for nor properly upgrading their grounds?

If in the recent past they have cut their academies as a cost saving exercise they shouldn't be in Super League. If they haven't got the money to upgrade their grounds they really should be in Super League.

Which current SL club "had the money" to upgrade their ground?

Asking for a friend 

1 minute ago, Wholly Trinity said:

Which current SL club "had the money" to upgrade their ground?

Asking for a friend 

Your club was told to upgrade it's ground over 20 years as a condition of being admitted to Super League. How's the upgrade going?

How much money have you spent in the time on has been's and never was players from the NRL?

1 minute ago, The Future is League said:

They were told them to upgrade their ground so how is the upgrade going?

They were sent a warning letter (along with 4 other clubs) that if their ground wasn't upgraded or replaced then they would be in danger of not receiving a licence in 2012. 

See spoiler alert above.

Did you answer my question?

7 minutes ago, Wholly Trinity said:

They were sent a warning letter (along with 4 other clubs) that if their ground wasn't upgraded or replaced then they would be in danger of not receiving a licence in 2012. 

See spoiler alert above.

Did you answer my question?

I will when you answer mine and i asked mine first

3 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

I will when you answer mine and i asked mine first

Your question was predicated on the premise that Wakefield promised to / were told to upgrade their stadium as a prerequisite of remaining in SL.

The premise is invalid, the question is moot.

To answer your question anyway, the plans are going well, just waiting for the enabling development to progress and when funding is available, work will begin, just like all other SL stadium developments.

A new roof on the clubhouse and 3 new floodlights have already been done (£400k). The 4th new floodlight will be fitted at the end of the season as access is via the playing surface. 

The club have given up on the multitude of plans for a new purpose built stadium being built after decades of effort to make this happen. For the first time since the 70s, the focus is now on developing and refurbishing the current site in a number of stages. 

2 hours ago, Wholly Trinity said:

Your question was predicated on the premise that Wakefield promised to / were told to upgrade their stadium as a prerequisite of remaining in SL. The premise is invalid, the question is moot. Plans are going well, just waiting for the enabling development to progress and when funding is available, work will begin, , the focus is now on developing and refurbishing the current site in a number of stages. 

It's great when clubs keep their "home" and upgrade facilities instead. It was always a shame to see iconic old grounds being bulldozed and replaced by souless stadia...

Well done Fev on this at POR, and I look forward to a refurbished Belle Vue as well................Odsal one day!!

2 hours ago, Wholly Trinity said:

The club have given up on the multitude of plans for a new purpose built stadium being built after decades of effort to make this happen. For the first time since the 70s, the focus is now on developing and refurbishing the current site in a number of stages. 

What is this decades of effort? I'm not sure if waiting 50 years for someone else to build a stadium and doing nothing with Belle Vue is much of an excuse. Other clubs with smaller budgets have managed improvements in that time, there is no reason Wakefield couldn't. 

50 minutes ago, Damien said:

What is this decades of effort? I'm not sure if waiting 50 years for someone else to build a stadium and doing nothing with Belle Vue is much of an excuse. Other clubs with smaller budgets have managed improvements in that time, there is no reason Wakefield couldn't. 

Obviously there was , or they'd have done it 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Obviously there was , or they'd have done it 

There is no obviously about it. They could have done more but chose not to.

They could have done what Fev did but chose not to? They could have done what Hull KR did but chose not to? How do clubs like Batley keep making small, incremental improvements on a 12th of the funding Wakefield get?

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

There is no obviously about it. They could have done more but chose not to.

They could have done what Fev did but chose not to? They could have done what Hull KR did but chose not to? How do clubs like Batley keep making small, incremental improvements on a 12th of the funding Wakefield get?

I love going Batley , same with Fev , but in truth neither are genuinely suitable for SL , it seems the council's in Yorkshire reflect the people , ' tight fisted ' , I say this as a Leigh fan who didn't want to leave Hilton Park , quite simply because it meant giving up control of our income streams , if any of the clubs you mention did the that , they would suffer financial issues that would restrict their ability to compete in SL 

On 14/08/2021 at 10:55, Scubby said:

No I don't see anything in it. It is fantasy land. If RL was like football played in huge towns and cities all across the UK for decades then something like this could have basis for discussion.

Sky have given the whole game £50m over 2 years for SL and said you are on notice. The Championship and League has secured £0 in TV money. Zilch, nothing, not a penny. The next offer could be £15m per season take it or leave it or even £10m.

Does anyone really believe the conversation to get that £25m per season to £75m per season in the next 5-10 years involves Batley, Swinton, Whitehaven, Keighley, Rochdale, Dewsbury etc. in any way shape or form?

I'm afraid it's you and those who share your views who are living in a dream world, in which being "ruthless" and cutting clubs adrift will somehow enable Rugby League to be watched and appreciated by a growing audience.

Back in the real world, you can only build on the foundations you have in place.

When you're facing a crisis, the best starting point is to bring everyone together while cutting out the factors that pit them against each other off the field.

We have witnessed 26 years of virtually no growth (arguably apart from the inclusion of the French clubs and then Toronto, which the clubs voted out of the competition) by tinkering with a tiered competition structure.

All that has achieved is to exacerbate the differences between a few clubs at the top and the vast majority of clubs below them, many of which at one time were also very strong clubs in their own right.

Relegation, and the threat of relegation, have caused too many clubs to act only in the short term, which is best observed by  them spending money they often haven't got on overseas players rather than developing their own. The only clubs that don't do that are the ones that are sufficiently resourced to have no worries about relegation.

In the days when Rugby League had one league of 30 clubs, it's fair to say that at the start of the season 20 of them could regard themselves as having a reasonable chance of winning the Challenge Cup, for example. But those days have long gone.

The truth is that structure is important in two quite distinct contexts.

The first is the governance structure.

Rugby League will never succeed as long as the clubs have the power of veto over RFL decisions, allowing them to put self-interest above the long term interests of Rugby League as a whole and creating numerous conflicts of interest.

There is nothing worse than the weekly meetings of clubs at all levels of the game that tie the hands of the RFL officials whenever they propose any changes, whether they are good or bad.

Structure is also important in terms of the competitive environment, which should be based on a system that encourages clubs to improve themselves without placing their futures at risk because of unsustainable changes in the levels at which they operate.

The competitive structure should also encourage new investment to come into the clubs, with potential new owners being able to see a pathway to the top for any club, regardless of its current standing.

Those who have read and understood my proposal recognise that those conditions would prevail, even if within the Conferences there may be some inequalities initially.

But there would be no inequalities across the Conferences.

The six Super League matches we have seen over the weekend would all have been played within my proposed competition structure.

Unfortunately I don't think the RFL, Super League and many of the clubs yet have the foresight to understand what I'm trying to achieve with this proposal.

I hope, however, that it doesn't take them too long to appreciate its merits.

Archived