League Restructure Thread (Merged Threads)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

There is a logic to protecting Catalans that doesn't extend to protecting a club surrounded by other clubs though.

Not saying it's the right point of view but it's not *necessarily* hypocritical to support some protection and not others.

I agree. And that is part of my point. The scenario portrayed originally lacked context. 

There would still be hypocrisy though.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe whilst they are there, they can discuss redesigning the club badges too?

Along with restructuring the league on average once every 4 years, its another foolproof way to draw the crowds in and bring money into the sport.

9 minutes ago, Dave T said:

People can make their own minds up about their preferences. 

BUt I suspect some people would celebrate the above scenario if it was Catalans protected vs Leigh/Fev, and hate it if it is Leigh protected vs Toulouse.

This is why P&R should be maintained, there are those who with nothing more than a whim and a prayer to base their preferences on when describing the likes of Toulouse, York, Newcastle and London as some form of mythical El Dorado as places aplenty with gold if they are escalated into SL, the truth is nobody knows how they would fare on the field, with attendances, sponsership etc.

It might seem a bit of a distraction given everything else that's going on, but this meeting was surely coming and is very important. 

If the reports are to believed, we've signed a short-term extension to the TV deal at reduced rates, which inevitably means less money to go around and difficult choices to make. 

Whether we make the right decisions is of course debatable, but they have to be made.

13 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

It might seem a bit of a distraction given everything else that's going on, but this meeting was surely coming and is very important. 

If the reports are to believed, we've signed a short-term extension to the TV deal at reduced rates, which inevitably means less money to go around and difficult choices to make. 

Whether we make the right decisions is of course debatable, but they have to be made.

Absolutely needs to be made , but let’s make the decision correctly. 

56 minutes ago, Scubby said:

What if that was keeping all SL clubs protected from relegation and no promotion from the Championship? Essentially keeping a club there that may lose every single SL game and denying a club that wins every single Championship game.

The owner of the club losing every single SL game has said he wouldn't support getting rid of relegation if it meant no promotion. Just wouldn't make sense, given the Championship seem to be doing a better job of completing the season than SL

My read of the article was that no relegation was a temporary measure for 2021 only. The suggestion was that no relegation, bring 2 teams up and play a 14-team Super League next year. I guess what happens after that would depend on the meeting today - whether you'd then have 3 teams relegated in 2022 or revert to 1 up, 1 down if they wanted to stick with a 14-team SL.

A temporary reprieve for this season would be a good thing given the circumstances, but I wouldn't be in favour of cutting promotion/relegation.

But as a lot of posters have already pointed out - this is all short-term stuff. The real questions are around the long-term of it. I get that the TV deal is down and that means less money... the question that gets asked is "how do we distribute this funding?" when the questions that aren't being asked enough are around how to increase the funding and grow the sport. People running the game seems happy to spend lots of time dividing up an ever-decreasing pot but not enough time working on how to get more into the pot.

1 hour ago, Ooh Ah Timmy Street said:

If the outcome is one that shows the good of the game was at the front of the decision , and not one that stinks of every individual club grabbing what’s left of the crumbs and ‘who cares about everybody else’. 

Spot on Timmy.

Many on here, including me, have berated the Aussie and NZ governing bodies for using COVID as a ready to use excuse for their decisions and IMHO here we have SL clubs apparently doing the same.

Just here me out.  In 1995 we had clubs give salaries of £40 - £50k to players that a few months earlier were on £400 a win.  The BSKB money was cruelly squandered on inflated wages rather than also being used to create long term strong sustainable structures across all levels of the game than could have made the whole of the game stronger and possibly generated even more income in the longer term.

Obviously money grabbing SL Chairmen that saw the windfall of BSKYB money as a way to disguise their inadequacies never realised that future TV deals would be reduced leaving them trying to grab the money they need from an diminishing amount of TV money and trying to kill off clubs in the process.  COVID has shown that a more prudent way of running the game is needed and I fervently hope that any decision made is made for the long term benefit of the game and not just to get SL clubs through the next 12 months.

I would usually say that I will sit here and take the flak but I am off to bed soon and will read the decision made in the morning.

3 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Many on here, including me, have berated the Aussie and NZ governing bodies for using COVID as a ready to use excuse for their decisions and IMHO here we have SL clubs apparently doing the same.

What is it SL clubs are doing?

SL to be decided on aggregate score in 32nd minute of every third game played divided by number of yellow cards received in every other game less opponents yellow cards multiplied by total red cards received in all second halves of games. The Championship will work to the same formula at a factor of 0.674%  Division One still to be decided on but planned to be announced on the 01/03/22.

The Union calculator to be hired at a fee adjusted by itself and a crowd funding page to be set up to pay for the batteries to power it. A request by Wigan to be allowed to set up a fund a crowd page on the back of this was rejected until further evidence was provided that living humans capable of self determination still existed in the borough.

10 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Meanwhile, in the champ we already have clubs who are set up to move up (Toulouse, Newcastle, York) but are artifically locked out due to a bottleneck from a 12 team league. 

Thank you for confirming my theory of some fans striving for the "El Dorado" syndrome they believe these clubs to have, it's quite simple SB any one of them - or all of them, eventually - win promotion on the field, are good enough to stay there and prove they are self sustainable enough to continue there and none of your bolux if they are French they should be protected from relegation.

6 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

SL to be decided on aggregate score in 32nd minute of every third game played divided by number of yellow cards received in every other game less opponents yellow cards multiplied by total red cards received in all second halves of games. The Championship will work to the same formula at a factor of 0.674%  Division One still to be decided on but planned to be announced on the 01/03/22.

Ah, the old expidite system governed by the swinging pendulum of the reversible throbatron.

1 minute ago, ShropshireBull said:

So put your straw man away. If you have 1 up one down in a 12 team league it means you create a bottleneck protecting weaker teams in SL from clubs who would draw more at a higher level. Saw it in association football for years with FL and non-League. 

And why shouldn´t french teams be protected if you expand the league. You think sky are going to offer the same money in two years if we protect clubs like Salford from the growth of Newcastle or York, get serious. We´ll be back to a part time sport if we are lucky. 

Toulouse will outdraw Salford, as will York if they get to SL. Expansion to 14 doesn´t stop either, just gives us a chance to see who can really stand on their own two feet. 

Give your crystal ball another rub, and personal message me tonights lottery numbers.

And, I don't have a scarecrow to put anywhere, ask Fighting Irish he thinks he is Dorothy from the Wiz.😳

1 minute ago, EastLondonMike said:

Co-sign. The NZRL will come to regret this. All for the promise of (possibly) playing one game a year.

If this whole episode doesn't inspire the RFL/SL to sort the game out nothing will.

Bit in bold... so very very true. Can't help but feel it needs include the ERL and FRL as well though. The issue is way bigger than just the RFL/SL.

(Apologises for dragging this over but its such an important point).

8 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Bit in bold... so very very true. Can't help but feel it needs include the ERL and FRL as well though. The issue is way bigger than just the RFL/SL.

(Apologises for dragging this over but its such an important point).

Which is why replacing loop fixtures with four fixtures against some sub standard Championship dross in a fourteen team competition is short sighted and daft. Build value in Super League through scarcity in league fixtures and leave gaps in the calendar to play internationals throughout the year to build that side of the game with tests with northern hemisphere nations and Combined Nations. 

3 hours ago, Ooh Ah Timmy Street said:

One of the suggestions(according to John Davidson), is that the bottom four of league 1 will get culled this season .  

for arguments sake, let’s say that is Coventry , West Wales , North Wales and London Skolars. That’s a number of player pathways just wiped from the game .  

If that happens I’m done with the professional game. 

26 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Which is why replacing loop fixtures with four fixtures against some sub standard Championship dross in a fourteen team competition is short sighted and daft. Build value in Super League through scarcity in league fixtures and leave gaps in the calendar to play internationals throughout the year to build that side of the game with tests with northern hemisphere nations and Combined Nations. 

Aren't we testing the scarcity approach this season? 😉

Just now, Dave T said:

Aren't we testing the scarcity approach this season? 😉

Ha ! I have bought 5 Broncos season tickets over the last 2 seasons and seen 2 games.

4 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

So we save approximately £300,000 there. Right, what’s the plan with that then? 

Probably blow it Ona feasibility study 📚 n the future of the game in Wales and how it doesn’t offer anything to the game.

Archived