Advice on West London club to watch

I want to watch a West London community club and I think my two choices are the London Chargers and Hammersmith Hills Hoists.

I have looked at rugby-league.com but its not a great site to discern the league structures and fixtures.

Are these two sides still around, are they in the same league and any recommendations on which to follow.  Thanks. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Who wouldn't support a club named after a revolving washing line?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Looking to go and see the Hammersmith Hills Hoists vs. South London Silverbacks this Saturday (7th).  As far as I can tell Hammersmith still play their home games at Chiswick Rugby Club so that's where I will head to!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 01/08/2021 at 06:54, Dunbar said:

I want to watch a West London community club and I think my two choices are the London Chargers and Hammersmith Hills Hoists.

On 01/08/2021 at 07:14, Futtocks said:

Who wouldn't support a club named after a revolving washing line?

Thought it being an Australian invention might have meant it was a bit on the nose at the moment though.

Any other teams named after Australian inventions around there, maybe the Stump Jump Plough Lane Rugby League club, it`s got a nice ring to it.😉

12 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Thought it being an Australian invention might have meant it was a bit on the nose at the moment though.

Any other teams named after Australian inventions around there, maybe the Stump Jump Plough Lane Rugby League club, it`s got a nice ring to it.😉

The Hammersmith Hills Hoists are founded and I assume mainly Aussies while the London Chargers (the other West London team) are Kiwis.

I have nothing againt Aussies and Kiwis... not least those who love Rugby League.  I am sure they were looking forward to the World Cup as much as anyone. 

4 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Shepherd`s Bush Sledgers

Us Aussies do love a good sledge. I remember when that roly poly Sri Lankan batsman Ranatunga (?) used to call for a runner in the one-day series, the Aussies used to say to him you can`t have a runner because you`re puffed fatty.

10 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Us Aussies do love a good sledge. I remember when that roly poly Sri Lankan batsman Ranatunga (?) used to call for a runner in the one-day series, the Aussies used to say to him you can`t have a runner because you`re puffed fatty.

Cricket is one game where excess blubber need not be a hindrance to efficacy. When I got into my club`s first team as a teenager, I faced an enormous bloke who bowled leg-spin. This was pre-Shane Warne, Abdul Quadir was the only prominent leg-spinner at that time. I`d never seen anything like it, totally bamboozled. 

Going back to grass roots RL names, it`s a possible advantage to choose something eye-catching in terms of attracting interest and sponsors. Two of my favourites are Guyra Super Spuds somewhere in Northern NSW, and Figtree Crushers in the Illawarra.

For any Aussies in North London thinking of starting a team, Cockfosters Roosters would be a good one.

• 3 months later...

Archived