2022 New Kits, Sponsors and Suppliers

25 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

I appreciate this won't be an issue for 99% of people, but why not just have the home and away the same design but in a different colour? I think the home would look better if it was the same irregular hoops as the away shirt. This lack of consistency is always an irritant for me!

You really need to get out more 

Nice kits from Wigan. 

I always see people complain about sponsors, and I get it, but I must admit I find shirts without sponsors a bit weird nowadays. Like something is missing. 

The whole Iqoniq thing seems weird though, didn't they get pulled off other club shirts during the season last year? 

9 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Best shirts for years.

I look forward to Wigan making a complete balls up of next year's release. I do enjoy the 'creative' years they go with 😆

Agree, these are the best Wigan kits for a while. 

Just now, Dave T said:

I do enjoy the 'creative' years they go with. 

Someone in Wigan is firing up their MS Paint programme as we speak!

• Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Davo5 said:

Celebrating their 150th year,so not surprising really.

I like the new Wigan shirts, and think the ability to buy without the main sponsors logo is great (whatever the circumstances behind it).  However, for the avoidance of doubt, and to ensure that everyone's aware that they are re-writing history by celebrating it early, 2022 is NOT Wigan's 150th year.

• Like 1

For more information on the Rugby League Record Keepers' Club please visit our official website at www.rugbyleaguerecords.com

13 minutes ago, Neil_Ormston said:

I like the new Wigan shirts, and think the ability to buy without the main sponsors logo is great (whatever the circumstances behind it).  However, for the avoidance of doubt, and to ensure that everyone's aware that they are re-writing history by celebrating it early, 2022 is NOT Wigan's 150th year.

How is it not Wigan's 150th year?

17 minutes ago, Neil_Ormston said:

You might want to tell someone at the club - https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/11/26/make-it-wigan/

Carefully avoiding the enraged and probably contrived fury of anyone who takes politics too seriously. Oh, hang on...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Neil_Ormston said:

"On 21 November 1872, Wigan Football Club was founded by members of Wigan Cricket Club following a meeting at the Royal Hotel, Standishgate."

I make that 150 years... 

Nice jerseys from Wigan, though the sponsor thing confuses me. Are Iconiq the sponsor or not?

Or is this a weird commercial thing where fans can buy a shirt without the main jersey sponsor? Which would seem a bit crazy to me.

Away shirt is too dark a blue for me. Which again just seems a bit of an odd and unnecessary thing to do.

I did some kit designs last year, just for fun, but never shared them on here, but if anyone is interested in taking a look you can see them on the link below.

https://tinyurl.com/4cvnte3j

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

14 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

"On 21 November 1872, Wigan Football Club was founded by members of Wigan Cricket Club following a meeting at the Royal Hotel, Standishgate."

I make that 150 years... 

Your maths is correct, and that statement it true.  However, that Wigan club merged / was taken over by Upholland a few years later, then disbanded in 1877.

The current Wigan club was formed as Wigan Wasps in 1879, changing their name to Wigan Football Club the following season.  I understand that the club are aware of this, but are persisting with claiming this is their 150th year.  It is not.

To Waynebennetswinger's point above, I have been in touch with the club, but they have so far failed to respond.  I'm sure most people aren't really bothered, but to me, it's a matter of important historical accuracy, and quite disrespectful that the most illustrious club in our sport has such disregard for their own heritage.

Still, nice shirts 🙂

Edited by Neil_Ormston
Corrected typo
  • Like 3

For more information on the Rugby League Record Keepers' Club please visit our official website at www.rugbyleaguerecords.com

1 minute ago, Neil_Ormston said:

Your maths is correct, and that statement it true.  However, that Wigan club merged / was taken over by Upholland a few years later, then disbanded in 1877.

The current Wigan club was formed as Wigan Wasps in 1879, changing their name to Wigan Football Club the following season.  I understand that the club are aware of this, but are persisting with claiming this is their 150th year.  It is not.

To Waynebennetswinger's point above, I have been in touch with the club, but they have so far failed to response.  I'm sure most people aren't really bothered, but to me, it's a matter of important historical accuracy, and quite disrespectful that the most illustrious club in our sport has such disregard for their own heritage.

Still, nice shirts 🙂

We (York City Knights) celebrated 150 years of York RL in 2018, despite only forming in 2002. It's a nice nod to a bit of history and a good little marketing angle. Certainly nothing to get upset about. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

Erm,play in cherry/white hoops or blue/white hoops maybe.

Isn't the idea of avoiding a colour clash to make sure the kits they're wearing aren't 50% the same colour?

I've not seen the back, nor shorts, but I'm having horrible flashbacks to 2008 when three different teams came to the KC in a white kit to play a Hull team in a black and white shirt but white shorts and socks. Didn't have a clue who has the ball half the time.

When the back of these hooped designs are often a big white block so you can see the number, it's an absolute nightmare to tell teams apart at a distance when they've got their back to you.

• Confused 1
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

14 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Isn't the idea of avoiding a colour clash to make sure the kits they're wearing aren't 50% the same colour?

I've not seen the back, nor shorts, but I'm having horrible flashbacks to 2008 when three different teams came to the KC in a white kit to play a Hull team in a black and white shirt but white shorts and socks. Didn't have a clue who has the ball half the time.

When the back of these hooped designs are often a big white block so you can see the number, it's an absolute nightmare to tell teams apart at a distance when they've got their back to you.

I've often wondered how the 1985 Cup Final looked to people in the sat in the stands that day. Basically identical kit design but for the black and red hoops.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I've often wondered how the 1985 Cup Final looked to people in the sat in the stands that day. Basically identical kit design but for the black and red hoops.

It looked brilliant…I was there and probably the most enjoyable game of rugby I have ever attended as a neutral.

Absolutely no problem identifying the teams though those two teams could have played naked and it would still have been a fantastic game.

• Like 1