2022 New Kits, Sponsors and Suppliers

https://twitter.com/England_RL/status/1511356592050130951

It would appear Oxen are at it again.

This time looks confusingly to be a Clive Sullivan themed shirt for... England. 

Edited by DI Keith Fowler
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

140th anniversary shirt from Rovers…

https://hullkr.co.uk/the-spirit-of-the-boilermakers/

D2BD94BA-E0FC-424F-8488-8997CFED1634.jpeg

Edited by Hull Kingston Bronco
  • Like 5

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

53 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

GB, but Red black and blue

I really can't understand why this is being released by/in conjunction with the England national team. Sullivan was Welsh and played for Wales almost as many times as he did for GB.

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

I really can't understand why this is being released by/in conjunction with the England national team. Sullivan was Welsh and played for Wales almost as many times as he did for GB.

Probably because GB don't have a Twitter account, and Welsh RL isn't affiliated with Oxen.

20 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Probably because GB don't have a Twitter account, and Welsh RL isn't affiliated with Oxen.

Oxen have their own twitter account though, which hasn't promoted this jersey yet. This is even being sold through the England merchandise webpage.

If Oxen wanted to do something to celebrate Clive Sullivan, then great. But it seems odd to associate it with the English national team.

If they wanted to promote a product with England, they should have chosen an English RL personality.

It seems to me that it is the usual belittling of Welsh contributions to RL by implying England and GB are synonymous.

Edited by Barley Mow

31 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

Oxen have their own twitter account though, which hasn't promoted this jersey yet. This is even being sold through the England merchandise webpage.

If Oxen wanted to do something to celebrate Clive Sullivan, then great. But it seems odd to associate it with the English national team.

If they wanted to promote a product with England, they should have chosen an English RL personality.

It seems to me that it is the usual belittling of Welsh contributions to RL by implying England and GB are synonymous.

I'm not defending it, I'm just saying that is the practical reason.

• Like 1

95% of the time Oxen do cheap tat, maybe we should cut them some slack on this … I don’t think it’s necessarily done as England but assume the RFL own the GB rights so can release this stuff. At least it’s cotton, looks ok quality. Ensuring ongoing use of the current GB logo is I think important.

Not sure on the black colour choice, feels quite basic to say Clive was black so the shirt is?

But Oxen have done worse and at least RFL are marking the anniversary of a legend.

Edited by Odsal Outlaw

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

Why is it black?

why has it got the wrong GB badge on it to celebrate the WC winning year?

Why do Oxen cheapen everything they touch?

My first reaction too. Cant help but think it feels a little jarring to be celebrating the historic achievements of a black sportsman by releasing a black shirt.

And then of course there's the use of England for this, which is the same nonsense we get when conflating GB/England teams.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

On 02/04/2022 at 10:23, Davo5 said:

I’ve always thought teams should wear a kit based on an heritage design instead of the  rubbish that’s regularly churned out for Magic weekend that has zero relationships to the club and that any first time/casual supporters can identify with.

The Magic Weekend kit phenomena is truly baffling.

It's short-termism. Why would you want to establish your brand in the sporting consciousness when you can flog a few shirts to your already existing fan base?

I know some are for charity purposes. But even Liverpool FC have a 'charity sponsor' every season replaced on the existing design of their kit.

Football is truly the master of minimalist, simple designs based on preserving continuity. Though I can't think of many other team sports where every team would decide to abandon their colours on the big stage.

Edited by burningmuscles
  • Like 1

To be fair I can guarantee they'll sell a good number of those. We've had red away shirts that veered very close to being Liverpool shirts before and had Everton fans refuse to buy them.

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

Those Canada Ravens shirts are interesting. 

I don't mind the more artistic designs, but would hope that 1 of the two would be a more classic RL shirt design. A black with Red V (or double V) for example. Perhaps they're taking inspiration from Sheffield Eagles!