Sad to See in RL

17 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Out of interest, what race is Oledski? Isn't he white caucasian?

Did they call him a white caucasian *****? Or was the abuse directed at his nationality?

Neither is acceptable, but I wish these incidents would be better defined, rather than lumping everything on the 'race' card

I would assume a remark may have been made about his Polish heritage.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Did they call him a white caucasian *****? Or was the abuse directed at his nationality?

Neither is acceptable, but I wish these incidents would be better defined, rather than lumping everything on the 'race' card

(West) Slavic?

22 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Belongs West Slavic ethnicity and the broader Slavic ethnicity which has been subjected to a lot prejudice and discrimination to such an extent that some groups considered them sub-human. Race is a human construct and at times ill-defined or vague. The Polish in some quarters are considered a race but many would argue against that. It is as much racism as a racial slur on Polynesians.

39 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

It`s a measure of the strange times we`re living through on the subject of "race" that we get so far down the page before someone asks the above pertinent question.

A lot of posts on this forum in recent days about Aussies would be hard to justify if Australians were regarded as a race.

Aussies being used as shorthand for "hypocritical Australian rugby league administrators" is a bit different from it being used as a racist insult.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Chris22 said:

I would assume a remark may have been made about his Polish heritage.

Yes , an idiot probably just went no deeper in intellectual rigour than that and his name . Among other things maybe he needs to read a bit  about the role of the Poles in WW2 

22 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Yes , an idiot probably just went no deeper in intellectual rigour than that and his name . Among other things maybe he needs to read a bit  about the role of the Poles in WW2 

I have Polish friends and I've challenged people who make ignorant derogatory remarks. Polish pilots took part in the battle of Britain. I don't understand ANY racial hatred but this target has always been particularly confusing.

4 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

Racism has no place in sport or the life we live in. The culprit should receive an automatic lifetime ban. 

so if its a teenager your saying if he gets to be an 80 year old man he cant take his grandkids because of some words he uttered as a kid, do we really want to live in such an unforgiving society  

2 minutes ago, gingdong said:

so if its a teenager your saying if he gets to be an 80 year old man he cant take his grandkids because of some words he uttered as a kid, do we really want to live in such an unforgiving society  

Calling for lifetime bans is an understandable gut reaction based on disgust, anger and sadness at racism, which still pervades much of society. My wife and daughter are British citizens of Asian ethnicity and both have been followed down the street on a few occasions being harangued by racist comments, and it hurts, my initial reaction being one of anger and wanting police action (which we should insist on in all such cases, I feel). The bigger picture is that I want racism and discrimination of any kind to end. A ban without education is unlikely to change things, possibly more likely to have the perpetrator scurrying off to the far right. A ban and punishment, the length and severity of which depends on meeting the victim, developing understanding of effect, developing empathy would I think be more effective longer term. It sounds idealistic but I think more beneficial. It would help to have Government figures who consistently understand racism (and other discriminations) and their effects and make serious responses to them.

40 minutes ago, gingdong said:

Teenagers today are unlikely to be taking their grandchildren to professional Rugby League games in 65 years time, unfortunately. 

33 minutes ago, shrewsbury roughyed said:

Calling for lifetime bans is an understandable gut reaction based on disgust, anger and sadness at racism, which still pervades much of society. My wife and daughter are British citizens of Asian ethnicity and both have been followed down the street on a few occasions being harangued by racist comments, and it hurts, my initial reaction being one of anger and wanting police action (which we should insist on in all such cases, I feel). The bigger picture is that I want racism and discrimination of any kind to end. A ban without education is unlikely to change things, possibly more likely to have the perpetrator scurrying off to the far right. A ban and punishment, the length and severity of which depends on meeting the victim, developing understanding of effect, developing empathy would I think be more effective longer term. It sounds idealistic but I think more beneficial. It would help to have Government figures who consistently understand racism (and other discriminations) and their effects and make serious responses to them.

You make some excellent points but I’ve just one question. What if the victim doesn’t want that meeting which would be a very understandable reaction

A bunch of posts removed. Difficult subject, please stay narrowly on topic and no off into other offshoots or political points.

Pretty please...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I don't know how we can ban fans for life for racist comments from the terraces when players get 10 or 8 game bans for racist tweets or racist language during games.

As a sport, we say that we have zero tolerance of racism but we don't mean it.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

It`s a measure of the strange times we`re living through on the subject of "race" that we get so far down the page before someone asks the above pertinent question.

A lot of posts on this forum in recent days about Aussies would be hard to justify if Australians were regarded as a race.

You're right in that some stuff said against Aussies qualifies, they are an ethnic group.

Prejudice, bias and insults apply.

Sadder to say if we banned all our racists in TGG from the sport we'd more than likely be the proverbial one man and dog watching.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

On the subject of lifetime bans, are they actually enforced? You may ban someone from holding a season ticket but you can't stop them from paying on the day. I wonder if clubs share details of fans subject to banning orders between themselves or with the RFL.

5 hours ago, DoubleD said:

What a pathetic response, he's Polish so slavic not a native White British anglo saxon or Celtic heritage, guess your one of these apologists of racism. The fact you have used the words “Race card” excuse as some sort of justification shows what type of person you are. 
Do you use the words “everyones offended  all the time” call people “woke” or “snowflakes” or You cannot be racist as Muslims aren’t a race.

bet you do don’t you. 

5 hours ago, DoubleD said:

What a pathetic response, he's Polish so slavic not a native White British anglo saxon or Celtic heritage, guess your one of these apologists of racism. The fact you have used the words “Race card” excuse as some sort of justification shows what type of person you are. 
Do you use the words “everyones offended  all the time” call people “woke” or “snowflakes” or You cannot be racist as Muslims aren’t a race.

bet you do don’t you. 

9 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

When I first started dating the mother of my daughter, who has Jamaican heritage, I took her to the 2006 GF, afterwards she told me she enjoyed the game, despite not having a scooby, but the Racial comments she heard put her off watching another game, even on the TV. 

There is unfortunately a certain demographic that follows Rugby League that is infested with racists, across a number of clubs.

This demographic is probably not one that the clubs (or even RL as a whole) can afford to turn away, as they make up a substantial proportion of the fanbase (not all of whom are racists of course) and the clubs cannot really be too choosy about who they let in when they are so desperately short of both customers and income. 

It is a serious problem for the sport, as without getting substantially richer (very unlikely to happen) the game will find it very difficult to rid itself of this minority. In short, the sport in its current format, attracts "these type of people". 

As is alluded to elsewhere on the thread, education has to be at least part of the way forward. 

7 hours ago, gingdong said:

I am white but have African origin members of my family so the racism issue is quite a big thing for me

11 hours ago, Alffi 7 said:

Absolutely no place I agree.

I think a lifetime ban is a fairly blunt instrument though, and not sure it solves much.  A while back Warrington organised a meet up between Robert Hicks and a fan that had abused him over twitter.  Off the back of that I think the fan received a shorter ban, the hope being that education and facing up to the comments he made would have a stronger effect than simply banning him from a rugby ground on the individual.

I have members of my family who are of African origin so racism is a definite no no. 

I can imagine it was along the lines off "###### off back to Poland" screamed by someone who couldn't even point out Poland on a map.

It shows how thick this "fan" must be that he thinks racist abuse is perfectly fine yet at the same time proudly supports a team containing Jake Mamo, Sitaleki Akauola and Eribe Doro. Slight disconnect in the brain?

Archived