Sad to See in RL

Just now, Barry Badrinath said:

Funnily enough,  someone today has posted something on one of our fb groups, saying he's got a suspended fine, I cant see it on any official channels though 

Yeah, see the link that Alffi 7 posted mate.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, iffleyox said:

Having not been there (and also not being Gill so can't know what was in his head) but I do have a 50+ year old black relative, that's either all fine and let's have a laugh together or it's shades of Charlie Williams dealing with hecklers. Frankly these days it would be cringeworthy both that someone should shout that, and secondly that they would get that response.

The 50 year old black relative is relevant because he once told me he was f'ing tired of having to do that to survive in the workplace. But most people wouldn't know that because he dressed it up as having a sense of humour and not minding too much.

I was more pointing out the idiocy of some fans who wouldn't say the same to one of their own players, though in these social media days it seems that if a player upsets certain fans a racists of a club, then the player is fair game because they can be anonymous.

Having said that your point is a very valid one.

Here is another interesting take. When Billy Boston turned 70 Mike Lathom did a series of three interviews with him. He brought up the subject of discrimination and asked Billy if as he was discriminated against in Wigan, being one of the very few coloured people in the town. Billy replied that he had never had any discrimination in Wigan over colour but he was discriminated against when he went to watch Wigan Old Boys Rugby Union, they wouldn't allow him in to watch the game because he played Rugby League. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On 04/08/2021 at 15:24, RigbyLuger said:

Did the RFL ever deal with Krisnan Inu separately after Salford dealt with him? They still should have.

If Salford had treated him leniently I believe they would have. His 2 month suspension was in line with previous RFL dealings if not harsher.

Just going on the original thread title of Sad to see in RL, a lot has been said, about racist abuse comments, but what about the referee abuse comments I heard while watching, the St Helens Castleford match on Sky yesterday. Is it okay to abuse a referee for doing his job, but not someone for their race? It was also clear that the comments were not just from one person, but quite a large number. And as far as I know, nothing will be done about it.

Archived