Coaching Consultant

Wakefield Ram

Oldham seemed to have revived a bit with Brian McDermott as a consultant. Might it be worth getting an experienced coach in to help turn things round? Neil Kelly would be an obvious contender.

Otherwise we will just limp towards possible relegation or narrow survival. 

2 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Oldham seemed to have revived a bit with Brian McDermott as a consultant. Might it be worth getting an experienced coach in to help turn things round? Neil Kelly would be an obvious contender.

Otherwise we will just limp towards possible relegation or narrow survival. 

No/Definitely no.

How many games have Oldham won since this appointment?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Greenwood could take the sagely advice doled out by the experts on here!

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

1 hour ago, Piggy's mate said:

To be fair, we did try one kick to the corner yesterday, short chip to the post and we finally forced a goal line drop out, not sure if it was the first of the season. 

6 hours ago, Piggy's mate said:

Or join the Facebook group been some classic suggestions in the last few weeks

i said swinton aren’t a bad team outscored dewsbury and Oldham but just couldn’t buy a win 

I'll give some coaching advice

But not to Lee but the fans

Firstly covid has made the coaching job unbelievably hard, don't forget we're not playing traditional rugby league we are playing a hybrid game more like 9's with 13 players, no scrums, turnovers... The game is faster.. A lot faster🤔

Some teams have adapted to this new game well, others not so well, we know which category we fall into, under covid sacking any coach is short sighted, let's not forget a lot of this team we're playing great rugby for the 5 games before lockdown and the season cancelled, and this is the point, players are older playing a faster hybrid game, this season needs bringing to a close, and get back to old style rugby league and then we'll see a change in our team, Lee is not the problem, the players are not the problem... It's the hybrid game that's the problem, you could take the world monopoly champion and pit them against a 10 year old kid... Then alter the game, play with one dice, go backwards around the board, chance cards are community cards and community cards are chance cards, you buy hotels before houses.... The world champion will go into meltdown as the game he knows and plays has changed, the kid doesn't know any different and plays the game simply to the new rules and would most probably win the game, Some fans need to give Lee some slack, need to give the players some slack.. And don't judge until we get back to traditional rugby league🤔🤔🤔

We have next to no tactics. Take Sheffield at home. We know Rob Worrincy is dodgy under the high ball, in the first half we put a high kick up in his area, FB went for it, dropped it, bounced through Rob's legs and Knowles scores. Did we try to kick to him again? No. Sunday 2nd half camped on Swinton's line, didn't try a kick to the corner, Speakman did one grubber into the in goal and forced drop out. Was that the first of our season? 18-4 up, can't score, get a penalty in front of the posts, we go for the try against 12 men and fail again to score. Or kick the goal 20-4 get the ball back against 12 men. Putting FB Joe Martin at scrum half - is that the first time he's ever played scrum half? Thought he did as well as you could expect for someone playing out of position in such a key role.

We telegraph who's taking the hit up. We never have two forwards running together. We have one passing move of the FB taking cut out pass behind the centre.

6th tackle near the opponent's line we seem to have no organisation or idea of what to do. 

All the other teams have adapted better to the lack of scrums. I'm sorry to say watching the Rams is like watching a car crash in slow motion and our style of rugby is ineffective and boring and LG seems unable to turn it round. 2019 he had to put a squad together and credit to him for finishing 3rd bottom. 2020 started well, but this is his team now and tbh we are now the playing like the worst team in the Championship and we haven't the worst squad. 

Batley have shown what can be done when you change coach, I doubt MS will sack him, but if we get scrums back next season is that going to make that much difference?

1 hour ago, Wakefield Ram said:

We have next to no tactics. Take Sheffield at home. We know Rob Worrincy is dodgy under the high ball, in the first half we put a high kick up in his area, FB went for it, dropped it, bounced through Rob's legs and Knowles scores. Did we try to kick to him again? No. Sunday 2nd half camped on Swinton's line, didn't try a kick to the corner, Speakman did one grubber into the in goal and forced drop out. Was that the first of our season? 18-4 up, can't score, get a penalty in front of the posts, we go for the try against 12 men and fail again to score. Or kick the goal 20-4 get the ball back against 12 men. Putting FB Joe Martin at scrum half - is that the first time he's ever played scrum half? Thought he did as well as you could expect for someone playing out of position in such a key role.

We telegraph who's taking the hit up. We never have two forwards running together. We have one passing move of the FB taking cut out pass behind the centre.

6th tackle near the opponent's line we seem to have no organisation or idea of what to do. 

All the other teams have adapted better to the lack of scrums. I'm sorry to say watching the Rams is like watching a car crash in slow motion and our style of rugby is ineffective and boring and LG seems unable to turn it round. 2019 he had to put a squad together and credit to him for finishing 3rd bottom. 2020 started well, but this is his team now and tbh we are now the playing like the worst team in the Championship and we haven't the worst squad. 

Batley have shown what can be done when you change coach, I doubt MS will sack him, but if we get scrums back next season is that going to make that much difference?

OF course Lee should move on,but Mark doesn't sack coaches.The point is we have been playing this sought of tripe for a long time now.Forget neils flannel.Look at Garratt ,Swinton tackled him easily.No thought of any backing up or off loading. Just a thought, has any body moved Christeen Gooders teddy?

5 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Would that be a disaster? I assume he will be leaving at the end of the season anyway though he's contracted to end of 2022.

That's a big assumption WR - what have you heard?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

7 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

I haven't heard anything to quash any rumours, but at best we narrowly avoid relegation and our performances are terrible. So in 2 full seasons he's been in charge we've finished 3rd bottom. That's if we don't get relegated. 

I haven't heard any rumours, unless you mean those begun by folk who have no information.

Provided that we still have to stripped down squad that is currently available I couldn't see anyone getting a decent performance out of the team. What miracles do you believe could be performed by a couple of training sessions (less all isolated players) each week?

Well Oldham's performances have improved since McDermott took over. After 8 losses under Morrison and similarly dire performances, Neil Kelly took over and the same players started playing better and started winning. And Batley have been transformed after Diskin was replaced. 

I actually go to every game now expecting us to be beaten. With any nous on Sunday we'd have taken the draw, that would have been enough to stay up. 

1 hour ago, Wakefield Ram said:

I haven't heard anything to quash any rumours, but at best we narrowly avoid relegation and our performances are terrible. So in 2 full seasons he's been in charge we've finished 3rd bottom. That's if we don't get relegated. 

The bottom two clubs in the championship have removed their respective coaches this season, perhaps 3 bottom is seen as a success?

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

11 hours ago, coolie said:

I'll give some coaching advice

But not to Lee but the fans

Firstly covid has made the coaching job unbelievably hard, don't forget we're not playing traditional rugby league we are playing a hybrid game more like 9's with 13 players, no scrums, turnovers... The game is faster.. A lot faster🤔

Some teams have adapted to this new game well, others not so well, we know which category we fall into, under covid sacking any coach is short sighted, let's not forget a lot of this team we're playing great rugby for the 5 games before lockdown and the season cancelled, and this is the point, players are older playing a faster hybrid game, this season needs bringing to a close, and get back to old style rugby league and then we'll see a change in our team, Lee is not the problem, the players are not the problem... It's the hybrid game that's the problem, you could take the world monopoly champion and pit them against a 10 year old kid... Then alter the game, play with one dice, go backwards around the board, chance cards are community cards and community cards are chance cards, you buy hotels before houses.... The world champion will go into meltdown as the game he knows and plays has changed, the kid doesn't know any different and plays the game simply to the new rules and would most probably win the game, Some fans need to give Lee some slack, need to give the players some slack.. And don't judge until we get back to traditional rugby league🤔🤔🤔

I’m all for that Coolie.

Legs, Dews, Legs.

11 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Cracking post WR......

We seem to be able to get in front in the first half and then give it away in the second. We repeat this most weeks according to comments on here. Maybe I have seen this before under different coaches when the players are making a statement. Hope our coach has not lost the players co- operation.

Archived