Mon 2 AugL SL: Hull FC v St Helens KO 7.45pm (TV)

Who will win?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull FC
    • St Helens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/08/21 at 19:15

5 hours ago, meast said:

Radford out?

With two sin binnings in the second half when we were out on our feet, a Radford side would have conceded at least 60.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

I'm sure certain players have a reputation with aspects of their game with most referees and I think Fonua is one of them.

Granted, he does probably lose the ball more than most, but I thought the incident in the second half when he lost the ball early in the tackle count 30m from Saints' line was a good example. Not sure who the Saints defender was, Percival maybe, but it looked like he'd punched the ball out of Fonua's grasp as he tackled him. The ball came out far quicker than if Fonua had dropped it but he was never going to get the decision.

It was one one one though, so once the Saints defender picked the ball up it was play on. Not sure what decision you feel he should have got.

Going to look at the positives from a Hull perspective.

At 16-0 down after 20 minutes I am expecting a 60 point hiding in years gone by, to come back into the game and be a bounce of the ball away from potentially levelling the scores shows the effort is there - although our lack of quality is shouting out.

Thought Cam Scott look lively with the ball in hand and maybe deserves a run in the centre in front of more illustrious team mates? Mitch on the wing looks a natural - he could be our future lets keep him there for the rest of the season.

No better prop than Satae in super league at the minute. 

Add Connor, Carlos, Taylor, Savelio and Shaul over the next 2 to 3 weeks will improve that lack of quality.

9 hours ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:
10 hours ago, Phil said:

I don’t think referees win or lose games but I thought James Child was a bit inconsistent tonight 

Child never changes.  When is he due to retire?

So the worst of part of Child's inconsistency is that he is consistently inconsistent?

I guess that is better than being inconsistently consistent (I think).

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

8 minutes ago, boris74 said:

At 16-0 down after 20 minutes I am expecting a 60 point hiding in years gone by, to come back into the game and be a bounce of the ball away from potentially levelling the scores shows the effort is there - although our lack of quality is shouting out.

Thought Cam Scott look lively with the ball in hand and maybe deserves a run in the centre in front of more illustrious team mates? Mitch on the wing looks a natural - he could be our future lets keep him there for the rest of the season.

Add Connor, Carlos, Taylor, Savelio and Shaul over the next 2 to 3 weeks will improve that lack of quality.

Didn’t see the game but looking at the squad and the short turn around, I expected a tough night.  Saints are an exceptional side and once in front it takes exceptional efforts to overcome them.  Looks like Hull energy levels weren’t up to it in the final quarter.

The coach is taking positives out of it anyway.

Overall happy with that Saints performance, not flashy but it was an improvement on many of their games this year. For me Dodd has already shown he's a genuine number 7 unlike Fages so the more game time he gets in the halves the more settled he'll get and the more he'll start to control things out there. I know several Saints fans have been questioning Wolfe's decision to put Welsby at FB for next year but those 2 try savers in the 1st half showed he has the guts & determination to put his body on the line when it matters, exactly what you need in a FB. 

There were 2 huge momentum swings in that match from poor officiating. The Naiquama no try in the 1st half was farcical from the VR. At no point did Makinson tackle the man, he only ever had eyes on the ball and Swift dropped it cold, and that would have put Saints at least 20 Nil up and probably killed the game off before half time. As it was Hull scored shortly after giving them momentum going into half time.

The other big momentum shift for me went Saints way with the Johnston sin-bin. Yes it was late and yes he hit him from behind but it was more of a push and I didn't see any direct contact with the head. The sin-bin was harsh and should have just been a penalty IMO.

I don't think Saints missed Fages at all but some of the other missing players when they return will add a lot to this Saints team. Paasi offers a lot of go forward up the middle, Bentley does a lot of defensive work and Grace gives that extra threat out wide that troubles defences.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

I thought Childs did lean slightly towards Saints with some decisions but Saints were far too good for Hull FC.I expected more from Hull this season but with a little tweaking they may not be far off a top 4 side next season.They need a scrum half and stand off.Sneyd has a good kicking game and a cut out pass that can put the winger in.But he does not take the line on enough to create down the middle.Powell didn't try to keep him at Cas because he knew the weaknesses and say what you want about Powell he is a good judge of players ability.

1 hour ago, boris74 said:

I thought it was a much better showing from Scott, he was quite a handful last night. Agree about Mitch too. For someone new to the sport he's looking really useful.

We will be a better team for sure with those players you mention. The biggest problem we have squad wise now is hooker. Houghton is still a good player but not a top tier one, and he can't manage 80 mins every week any more. Johnstone is miles off the quality we need.

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

Didn’t see the game but looking at the squad and the short turn around, I expected a tough night.  Saints are an exceptional side and once in front it takes exceptional efforts to overcome them.  Looks like Hull energy levels weren’t up to it in the final quarter.

The coach is taking positives out of it anyway.

We were right in it until the sin bin. Saints took back control of the game in that period and there was no way back. The final score wasn't really a fair reflection. Especially with that late break away try from a sloppy pass getting kicked down field.

4 minutes ago, MZH said:

We were right in it until the sin bin. Saints took back control of the game in that period and there was no way back. The final score wasn't really a fair reflection. Especially with that late break away try from a sloppy pass getting kicked down field.

I think the score was about right - I think we made double the metres or something, the video ref call on the Makinson challenge and a schoolboy bombed try later on with Naiqama messing up a simple catch and pass to Makinson.

The scoreline was tight for a whie but under the surface I thought we were pretty dominant.  I was impressed with Hull's attitude though, they were really up for it and put in some huge defence at times.

13 hours ago, MZH said:

I turned off in disgust for 10 minutes but then couldn't help but flicking it back on 😅

Saints should be 22 (or 20 since it was a tough conversion) up. Nothing wrong with that contest. Then a little bit more fortune with that Hull try. I wouldn't say it's a lifeline. We are second best by a long way. At least it gives us something to play for in the second half though.

i turned it off.  refereeing is woeful in SL.  The game is being strangled by them.  Same for the Leeds warrington game.

Aside from the two key calls Toppy highlighted (which was one each) I didn't think there was anything particularly wrong with the officiating. Sometimes I think people get caught up in the hysterics of the Sky commentary team. If they spent as much time calling and analysing the skills and set moves on show as they do shouting 'oof' at every big hit and micro-analysing every refereeing decision the sport would be much better off.

The scoreline blew out a little in the end but I think that was a reflection of Saints dominance and the ease at which they were chewing up the metres. If the try had been given before half time I think at 20 points down it probably would have blown out sooner tbh.

Hull lack a bit of finesse and game intelligence. There's plenty of muscle on show in defence but they spend too much time going for big hits, which against a team as fit as Saints doesn't really slow the attack down.

Considering we only started training again on Thursday and were a prop down after Lees HIA I thought it was a pretty good performance from Saints. Looking forward to the Catalans game on Saturday, just hope there's there's decent crowd.

2 hours ago, MZH said:

Have to disagree as I always thought that the last 20mins would lead to a tired Hull from the first half efforts to handle Saints superiority - as is often the case in most RL games.

Saints good starts impacts massively on any opposition coming to the last quarter.   

4 hours ago, dkw said:

It was one one one though, so once the Saints defender picked the ball up it was play on. Not sure what decision you feel he should have got.

Was it not a knock on if he punched the ball out in the direction he was attacking?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

3 hours ago, Moove said:

Aside from the two key calls Toppy highlighted (which was one each) I didn't think there was anything particularly wrong with the officiating. Sometimes I think people get caught up in the hysterics of the Sky commentary team. If they spent as much time calling and analysing the skills and set moves on show as they do shouting 'oof' at every big hit and micro-analysing every refereeing decision the sport would be much better off.

The scoreline blew out a little in the end but I think that was a reflection of Saints dominance and the ease at which they were chewing up the metres. If the try had been given before half time I think at 20 points down it probably would have blown out sooner tbh.

Hull lack a bit of finesse and game intelligence. There's plenty of muscle on show in defence but they spend too much time going for big hits, which against a team as fit as Saints doesn't really slow the attack down.

Considering we only started training again on Thursday and were a prop down after Lees HIA I thought it was a pretty good performance from Saints. Looking forward to the Catalans game on Saturday, just hope there's there's decent crowd.

plus the hysterics of the crowd... at one stage every single call the Hull crowd were screaming at a non decision... Yep I get it sometimes crowds screaming off side as in instinct, because no way most of the crowd are looking at the line or if the ref is actually standing the correct distance as distinct from a little further back than the wo line... but to scream at every non decision just made me think what a crowd of -----------.... if your hoping to influence the ref have to be more selective...

1 hour ago, redjonn said:

plus the hysterics of the crowd... at one stage every single call the Hull crowd were screaming at a non decision... Yep I get it sometimes crowds screaming off side as in instinct, because no way most of the crowd are looking at the line or if the ref is actually standing the correct distance as distinct from a little further back than the wo line... but to scream at every non decision just made me think what a crowd of -----------.... if your hoping to influence the ref have to be more selective...

Maybe they were reacting to the Saints players waving their arms at the Ref?  

9 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Maybe they were reacting to the Saints players waving their arms at the Ref?  

chuckle...

yep although Hull too, it is endemic in our sport nowadays. Use to be just the hookers being a pain waving for infringements at every PTB now its every ruddy player...

and while I'm on it... the water boy coach as well as for some teams. notable Warrington, he is always on the pitch pointing to players where they should be or running...

20 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Well, that was frustrating.

Our discipline at times is absolutely shocking. I don't think it's as bad as the ref made it out tonight, and it's nice to see others agreeing Saints got the rub a lot, but we definitely need to sort it out. Sao must have given away at least 5 penalties for high shots.

The amount of players we're still missing though is showing in our quality of play at the mo. The youngsters we have coming through are no where near the quality of other clubs and it shows. That's the biggest concern for me.

4 youngsters are representing Yorkshire u19 v Lancs.  Hookem, Staveley, Litten and Gibson.  I think Staveley is 2 years under age and Litten 1 year not sure about the other two.  Half, Prop, Wing/FB & Prop respectively.

Academy v HKR highlights on their recent match - YouTube.

Yorks v Lancs - Our League Weds 11am

9 hours ago, boris74 said:

Outstanding again last night and loved that camera shot of the wry smile following the demolition of Lees. Currently THE Man of Steel without a doubt.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

22 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Makinson seemed utterly shocked by that pass, which says a lot about how good Naiqama is as a centre. 

Naiqama & Makinson have a great partnership, pity it’s coming to an end at the end of the season. 

9 hours ago, lingaro said:

i turned it off.  refereeing is woeful in SL.  The game is being strangled by them.  Same for the Leeds warrington game.

Have you thought about taking up refereeing, the game is struggling for officials from the children’s game through to the pro-game. Young officials are getting loads of verbal abuse from adults on the touchline while they watch their children. Who would want to put up with that.

15 hours ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Outstanding again last night and loved that camera shot of the wry smile following the demolition of Lees. Currently THE Man of Steel without a doubt.

The 'demolition of Lees' 😮 it was a head clash !!

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

4 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

The 'demolition of Lees' 😮 it was a head clash !!

It was a fly hitting a windscreen 😀

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Archived