Iqoniq

Their name was still on advertising boards at Wigan v Leigh yesterday so they must still be going (though I have no idea what they do). I would guess that if some clubs are covering their logo then it is connected to individual sponsorship deals between Iqoniq and those particular clubs.

The tweet thread is in Dutch, the Article is in Spanish, but the gist seems to be that several clubs across a number of sports are pulling back from Iqoniq and/or not wanting to be linked.

Suggestions in the article that it is a scam and related to a dodgy new Cryptocurrency. Also states that the people and money is from Qatar and Monaco, yet the company is based in Estonia's second city Tartu. See below:

Not to put a real downer but wasn't it reported that these guys had a stake in Wigan Warriors?

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The tweet thread is in Dutch, the Article is in Spanish, but the gist seems to be that several clubs across a number of sports are pulling back from Iqoniq and/or not wanting to be linked.

Suggestions in the article that it is a scam and related to a dodgy new Cryptocurrency. Also states that the people and money is from Qatar and Monaco, yet the company is based in Estonia's second city Tartu. See below:

Not to put a real downer but wasn't it reported that these guys had a stake in Wigan Warriors?

They are listed as one of the official partners (so a sponsor) on the Wigan club website and are also featured alongside the various social media with the heading 'follow us on Iqoniq' same as for other social media platforms. The only person I can remember buying a stake in Wigan recently is a businessman called Mike Danson.

When you are as skint as RL is your grateful for any offers of finance without asking too many questions about its provence as has been illustrated far too many times before with club owners where the 'fit and proper persons' test seems to consist of 1 question, 'have you got any money' so to expect sponsorship to be any different on the back of the Stobart & Papa Johns deals is wishful thinking.

2 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

When you are as skint as RL is your grateful for any offers of finance without asking too many questions about its provence as has been illustrated far too many times before with club owners where the 'fit and proper persons' test seems to consist of 1 question, 'have you got any money' so to expect sponsorship to be any different on the back of the Stobart & Papa Johns deals is wishful thinking.

They had many sponsorship deals across various sports. 

31 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

They are listed as one of the official partners (so a sponsor) on the Wigan club website and are also featured alongside the various social media with the heading 'follow us on Iqoniq' same as for other social media platforms. The only person I can remember buying a stake in Wigan recently is a businessman called Mike Danson.

Thanks, the Iqoniq App appears to be what the European football fans aren't happy about.

17 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Literally no idea what it is, but if they were offering Wigan more money than anyone else and Wigan deemed them suitable then what’s the problem - I just hope they got their money up front. 

Hopefully they learnt that lesson with the Applicado FS sponsorship which I seem to recall went sour mid season when the company liquidated.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:
Also states that the people and money is from Qatar and Monaco

Ah. That would explain why handball authorities and clubs were so in love with it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Doesn't say much for the benefit of sponsorship when none of the supposed target audience seems to have a clue what they do. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

2 hours ago, wiganermike said:

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2020/11/04/warriors-announce-partnership-with-iqoniq/

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

• 5 months later...

Fans face big cryptocurrency losses after platform goes into liquidation

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fans-face-big-cryptocurrency-losses-after-platform-goes-into-liquidation-czxpcwd60

‘In rugby league, several Betfred Super League clubs signed agreements, including Wigan Warriors, who had their shirts sponsored by IQONIQ last season and had been due to continue with the branding this season.

‘A Wigan spokesman confirmed that the club were “aware of the situation” with IQONIQ but declined to comment. La Liga also declined to comment on its licensing deal with the platform.’

1 minute ago, Smudger06 said:

Stick with batchelors mushy peas 👍

Purée petit pois for Broncos supporters. 😜

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

On 02/08/2021 at 19:47, gazza77 said:

Doesn't say much for the benefit of sponsorship when none of the supposed target audience seems to have a clue what they do. 

There all front companies nowadays no? Never heard of any of these weird betting sites that pay PL tens of millions a year.

Wigan replica and match shirts have been produced without Iqoniq on them this season, so it has clearly been on the cards for some considerable time. The club had a similar issue with FS Solutions (a finance company I think) going belly up mid season a few years ago, so seemingly have not fully learnt the lesson there. 

18 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

There all front companies nowadays no? Never heard of any of these weird betting sites that pay PL tens of millions a year.

They exist in overseas markets I think, especially the far east. 

29 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

Premier League sponsorships are popular with Asian bookies because it's a way around TV advertising rules in the markets they do operate. Basically, the Premier League is to Asian bookies what Formula 1 in the 80s and 90s was to tobacco brands. 

Just now, whatmichaelsays said:

Premier League sponsorships are popular with Asian bookies because it's a way around TV advertising rules in the markets they do operate. Basically, the Premier League is to Asian bookies what Formula 1 in the 80s and 90s was to tobacco brands. 

There's an excellent HITC Sevens video on the topic:

Archived