Match Thread: Championship Round 16, Batley v Featherstone Rovers Sunday-8th-August-2021

marklaspalmas

Well it had to happen. We lost a match in the league. Remeber the last time that happened? Aye. 7th September 2019. 23 months ago. At home. To Toulouse. Well, we know what we've got to beat now.

On to Mount Pleasant Batley. Always a good day out, and a happy hunting ground for Fev in recent years. Batley (10 wins, 5 losses) are 4th in the table and are once again making a mockery of those predicting they wouldn't be in the mix at the top for the playoffs. Good club, good team.

Tough game.

Of the 17 that played against Toulouse, we'd have a question mark against Brown, who came off with a head knock. Class player, hope he's ok.

Gadwin Springer and Alex Walker could be set for debuts.

I think Im right in saying Ben Blackmore is available again after suspension.

Will Dagger and Dane Chisholm were late withdrawals last week. Hopefully they will be back soon.

Minns, Day, Bussey and Ferguson are long time absentees.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cannot understand why we want another fullback ie Alex Walker when we have Hall and Dagger , and with Blackmore back soon. 

14 hours ago, haskey said:

I cannot understand why we want another fullback ie Alex Walker when we have Hall and Dagger , and with Blackmore back soon. 

Maybe  daggers injury  rules him out for weeks or maybe we can give  hall  a rest  in the run up to playoffs  but the More the merrier gives webbo more options

If we are missing both Brown and Chisholm, it obviously begs the question of who plays half back.

We played JD there on the narrow pitch at Bradford, but it's obviously not his best position.

One option is obviously Harvey Spence, but given we have Walker available at full back, and possibly an entire three quarter line for the first time in a while (assuming Blackmore is game fit), Craig Hall - whose entire career has seen him asked to switch positions with dizzying frequency - might be a candidate for another switch, this time to half back. He at least knows all the calls and plays and has played at half back before in SL.

We really could do with a big game from Holmes this week, things just didn't happen for him against Toulouse and we all know he's much better than that.

I reckon we'll get a view of Springer this week.

Batley come into this on a high, we have had some gruelling games recently and are without two star half backs. As I said on the Batley forum, I'd be happy with a 1-point win here.

11 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

If we are missing both Brown and Chisholm, it obviously begs the question of who plays half back.

We played JD there on the narrow pitch at Bradford, but it's obviously not his best position.

One option is obviously Harvey Spence, but given we have Walker available at full back, and possibly an entire three quarter line for the first time in a while (assuming Blackmore is game fit), Craig Hall - whose entire career has seen him asked to switch positions with dizzying frequency - might be a candidate for another switch, this time to half back. He at least knows all the calls and plays and has played at half back before in SL.

We really could do with a big game from Holmes this week, things just didn't happen for him against Toulouse and we all know he's much better than that.

Batley come into this on a high, we have had some gruelling games recently and are without two star half backs. As I said on the Batley forum, I'd be happy with a 1-point win here.

Last nights try scorer for Cas another option perhaps? 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

29 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Holmes looked out of synch v Toulouse for sure, but at least a couple of those wayward passes went to Davies/Welham's side. There were understandably various misunderstandings there. JD snatching at a pass for Welham and then Welham out of position on another occasion.

That said, who plays HB v Batley if Brown is out is a concern. Hall at FB for mine, unless Blackmore is not match fit, in which case Walker at FB and Hall to the wing.

Sweeting is not a bad shout tbh. Davies in his roving role at 13

19 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Holmes looked out of synch v Toulouse for sure, but at least a couple of those wayward passes went to Davies/Welham's side. There were understandably various misunderstandings there. JD snatching at a pass for Welham and then Welham out of position on another occasion.

That said, who plays HB v Batley if Brown is out is a concern. Hall at FB for mine, unless Blackmore is not match fit, in which case Walker at FB and Hall to the wing.

Sweeting is not a bad shout tbh. Davies in his roving role at 13

Sweeting is another possibility, but I got the impression earlier in the season that Spence might have been ahead of Sweeting in the pecking order, at least as a half back. He seemed to make the 21-man squad when Sweeting didn't, and at Bradford recently Spence was on the bench (though he ended up replacing Doyle on the wing).

3 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Sweeting is another possibility, but I got the impression earlier in the season that Spence might have been ahead of Sweeting in the pecking order, at least as a half back. He seemed to make the 21-man squad when Sweeting didn't, and at Bradford recently Spence was on the bench (though he ended up replacing Doyle on the wing).

Yep.

We've only really seen Spence on the wing, plus the 2nd half at Wembley as AHB. Decent shout.

• marklaspalmas changed the title to Match Thread: Championship Round 16, Batley v Featherstone Rovers Sunday-8th-August-2021
20 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Yep.

We've only really seen Spence on the wing, plus the 2nd half at Wembley as AHB. Decent shout.

Spence was an outstanding half-back in the Rhinos Academy with an excellent tactical kicking game, and now that top spot has likely gone it seems a good opportunity to see what he can do. After all, we might need him at the back end of the season?

1 hour ago, Steve Slater said:

Spence was an outstanding half-back in the Rhinos Academy with an excellent tactical kicking game, and now that top spot has likely gone it seems a good opportunity to see what he can do. After all, we might need him at the back end of the season?

Football Manager Steve Gill : “Harvey is a young half-back  he is a good talker and organiser with a great kicking game.  We believe he will develop nicely under the guidance of James Webster and will push both Nu Brown and Dane Chisholm for a place in the first team.

2 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Dagger has been recalled by Hull KR following injuries to Jordan Abdull and Adam Quinlan.

A chunk of recalls by HKR as Joe Keyes has been recalled from Bradford and Mikey Lewis from York, the latter might be handy news for us as we play them next week and he was far and away their best player at Wembley.

2 minutes ago, georgeb1 said:

Never was at wakey.😀😀😀

Alex Walker (born 4 September 1995)[3] is a Scotland international rugby league footballer who plays as a fullback for Wakefield Trinity in the Betfred Super League.He signed for Wakefield in 2020 and joins the Rovers having made 10 appearances for Trinity.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

3 minutes ago, POR said:

Alex Walker (born 4 September 1995)[3] is a Scotland international rugby league footballer who plays as a fullback for Wakefield Trinity in the Betfred Super League.He signed for Wakefield in 2020 and joins the Rovers having made 10 appearances for Trinity.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Handy , I know he plays at wakey 

11 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Fingers crossed for Brown and I think that's our backline at Mount Pleasant.

Does anyone know the exact return-to-play protocol for HIA? I tried reading a document about it and it implied that you can play 7 days from the date of the incident providing you pass all the appropriate tests (which are almost daily) along the way, but also I'm pretty sure that for certain instances (such as being knocked unconscious as with Joe Keyes) that it's more than 7 days.

I don't want to hear any complaining that we've got Leeds Rhinos player in the team! We never mentioned it when you had em in

ahem 🥸

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Does anyone know the exact return-to-play protocol for HIA? I tried reading a document about it and it implied that you can play 7 days from the date of the incident providing you pass all the appropriate tests (which are almost daily) along the way, but also I'm pretty sure that for certain instances (such as being knocked unconscious as with Joe Keyes) that it's more than 7 days.

This suggests at least 19 days before a return to play if concussion diagnosed

Headcase Graduated Return To Play 2018.pdf (rugby-league.com)

If Chizzy is out for 6 weeks it is leaving it a bit tight for the play offs.Our last League game against Sheffield is 7 weeks away so not much time to get match fit.I would play Blackmore if his suspension is over,he should have kept himself fit and on the wing he should be OK.How will he get match fit without playing seems a no brainer to me.Looking forward to seeing our squad for the game and Websters selection of starting 13.Hope we take plenty to Batley Sunday and the Loss against Toulouse has not put any off.

48 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

If Chizzy is out for 6 weeks it is leaving it a bit tight for the play offs.Our last League game against Sheffield is 7 weeks away so not much time to get match fit.I would play Blackmore if his suspension is over,he should have kept himself fit and on the wing he should be OK.How will he get match fit without playing seems a no brainer to me.Looking forward to seeing our squad for the game and Websters selection of starting 13.Hope we take plenty to Batley Sunday and the Loss against Toulouse has not put any off.

Can't see why people will be put off I thought for a lot of the game we were competitive and at 12-6 we were in with a chance but unfortunately  our uncharacteristic sloppy goal line defence let them get over the line 

Archived