Match Thread: Championship Round 16, Batley v Featherstone Rovers Sunday-8th-August-2021

marklaspalmas

1 hour ago, POR said:

why put him in 21 if he failed his HIA  when Harvey S is available and good enough to play

Although it wouldn't surprise me if there's no rule against it, as someone who has failed a HIA isn't permitted to play until they've been through the return to play protocol you shouldn't be allowed to name them in your squad.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Although it wouldn't surprise me if there's no rule against it, as someone who has failed a HIA isn't permitted to play until they've been through the return to play protocol you shouldn't be allowed to name them in your squad.

I agree LTS but ALLOWED is a mute point

We have to eventually name a 21 man squad to please the RFL and that's what we'ave done this week by including NU 

Looking at past squads it's easy to assume we'ave done it before by including players who didn't have a cat in hell's chance of playing so maybe it's Nu's turn to wear that mantle😀

A win's a win but I thought for long periods of time we were woeful. Our last tackle plays were rubbish for the most part. Our back line offered little with Blackmore and Welham looking well off the pace.

Thought Springer added a lot of impetus coming down the slope in the second half by just driving hard and straight. 

Didn't help giving you a 12 point start, but your two Southern hemisphere full timers are a lot sharper than our lads on those sort of plays. 

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Thought we was average all game - did enough to win and didnt look in too much danger in the second half going downhill but nothing to write home about 

Thought Kris Welham was running like cemented in concrete at times in that 1st half 

Not the best of games, we were only marginally better than TO match, but with the opposition not being as strong the result went our way. Chizzy is still way off fit and what was wrong with giving Holmes a chance to make up for his display last week.  Why drop Gale for Blackmore ? Welham had a poor game.Some thought needs to go into our backs.

I know Webster is the coach and we won but some of his team selection seems a little odd.

Batley half backs outplayed ours in the first half we produced nothing,but the interceptions came in handy.Chizzy was dragging his leg most of the game.He stepped it up in the 2nd half and added a bit of class.Harrison  and Davies played well after the break with Halton showing up also.Springer had a few good bursts ususlly taking 3 to get him down(Cooper with a bit more beef)if he can  come off a short pass between defenders he will do better.He just seems to pick them out to run at.Blackmore had a very good first game back always looking for work.And a bit unlucky letting in the first Batley try as he tried to cover the ball but the winger twisted as he went down and scored.The second try was dreadful  goal line defending.Thought i was watching John Elway quarter back sneak.Hall looked off it and Welham still didn't look match fit.The score flattered us a bit i would have said 8-10 points better not 15.

51 minutes ago, haskey said:

Why drop Gale for Blackmore ?

Gale was rested to enable him too recover from "busted ribs". Apparently the last two weeks he's only played with Painkilling injections.

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

36 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Ok some are saying we weren't great but give credit to Batley they gave it a good go and will certainly get some more wins.

Best Batley side i have seen for a few years but in the first half apart from the interceptions we never looked like scoring.However we capitalised on their mistake from the 2nd half kick off and never looked like getting beat after that.Missed standing behind the sticks but for the next few matches think it is best for me to sit down.Doctor wants 14 day check on my blood pressure 10am and 8pm before deciding future plans.Will miss next Saturdays match against York as it is my sons wedding and i am his Best man.Well how could he pick one better than me

22 minutes ago, TheFevRover said:

Whelam looks out of place in the side and is nothing like the player he was at Salford last year thought he’d be a great addition but he’s far from it 

He's towing. I suspect he's towing to recover from his injury and struggling for fitness as a result.  I feel for t'lad

Things aren't quite gelling at the moment, for obvious reasons. When you take into account the amount of training sessions as a team they'll have had this past 6 weeks. I think the players need a bit of slack, apart from against Toulouse, who are without doubt a class side. The team has pulled off heroics in winning games we'd no right to. I believe we've had a dip in form at the right part of the season. Hopefully we can now kick on until the end of the season.

28 minutes ago, wasginger said:

Things aren't quite gelling at the moment, for obvious reasons. When you take into account the amount of training sessions as a team they'll have had this past 6 weeks. I think the players need a bit of slack, apart from against Toulouse, who are without doubt a class side. The team has pulled off heroics in winning games we'd no right to. I believe we've had a dip in form at the right part of the season. Hopefully we can now kick on until the end of the season.

Webster commented in his post match interview on Radio Leeds that things weren't working in attack and they'd be putting some work into rectifying that. 

Archived