Squad 2022

2 hours ago, georgeb1 said:

Realistically any championship side going to superleague would probably only retain 20% maximum of the squad if they have ambitions of staying there.😀😀😀

That really depends if you are talking about a squad such such as say.....Fev or...... York

There's some very average players in SL.  Especially when you look at fringe players in the lower half of the table.  20% would mean that only 6 of our squad could make a SL squad.  So (accepting that there would need to be strengthening in places) who do you think from Hall, Gale, Holmes, Hardcastle, Chizzy, Brown, Bussey, Jones, Parata, Halton, Moors, Day, Harrison and one or two others couldn't get a SL gig ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

On the article about re-signing Alex Sutcliffe we've got a photo of Liam Sutcliffe, and the website write-up on the win at Batley is full of typos and errors, including the title. Do wish we would be a bit more professional in this respect, it seems clear that nobody sub-edits or proof-reads those write-ups.

Yeah got to agree. 

I appreciate spelling might not bother some but the wrong picture ??  What next ?  a headline 'Rovers re-sign Mal Meninga' ?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, RobLambert said:

That really depends if you are talking about a squad such such as say.....Fev or...... York

There's some very average players in SL.  Especially when you look at fringe players in the lower half of the table.  20% would mean that only 6 of our squad could make a SL squad.  So (accepting that there would need to be strengthening in places) who do you think from Hall, Gale, Holmes, Hardcastle, Chizzy, Brown, Bussey, Jones, Parata, Halton, Moors, Day, Harrison and one or two others couldn't get a SL gig ?

What you've got to understand is it's not only the players ability but whether they want to be tied to fulltime rugby , most you've mentioned it would be difficult on both counts .

38 minutes ago, georgeb1 said:

What you've got to understand is it's not only the players ability but whether they want to be tied to fulltime rugby , most you've mentioned it would be difficult on both counts .

Out of interest, how many of the players you mentioned are not currently relying on RL as their main or sole source of income?

The general point you were making (I think) earlier - that it's going to continue to be very hard for promoted teams to survive their first year in SL, is very true, but if the rumours about a one-year expansion to 14 SL teams is correct then the talent pool is going to be spread event thinner and it makes sense to tie up quite a few of the players we already have.

As has been stated above, the difference in talent between top-end Championship players and fringe SL players is minimal. I think to stand any chance of staying up what will really matter is getting the recruitment of maybe five or six new players right. Easier said than done, of course, as everyone is looking for those players.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

On the article about re-signing Alex Sutcliffe we've got a photo of Liam Sutcliffe, and the website write-up on the win at Batley is full of typos and errors, including the title. Do wish we would be a bit more professional in this respect, it seems clear that nobody sub-edits or proof-reads those write-ups.

In case this comes across as being a bit negative, this is much more like it, an update on some of the stuff that's been going on behind the scenes.

https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/an-update-from-behind-the-scenes-YDsG9

3 hours ago, georgeb1 said:

Yes I do understand the issue regarding players having other jobs but thanks for pointing it out.

Your post though referred to taking only 20% of this squad 'if we had ambitions of staying in SL' so we both know you were meaning quality of players - not availability.

13 hours ago, TheFevRover said:

Pickersgill rumour doing the rounds again I’d personally like to see him at fev think he slot in at fb as Webster seems to like hall at centre/wing 

Not for me don't think he;s good enough and funny enough neither do bulls  fans

Brandon Pickersgill is good in attack. In defence if anyone breaks the line Pickersgill ain't stopping him.not great under high ball either. Not sure what Fev are seeing in him. 

For hall think it's down to circumstances regarding injuries rather than webbo's preferences 

When we don't know which division we will be in next year it is difficult with recruiting players.To make S.L more competitive giving more clubs a chance i think a mixture of full time and part time players +developing players is the way forward.The top clubs will never vote for that but i would propose 10 full time players 14 part time players and 6 young developing players under 23 years old.Clubs would run Academies which would enable players not in the first team squad to have some playing time.Academy players would not count in the 30 under the salary cap so to make up numbers extra players would come from the Amateur clubs who would have support from SL clubs in the area.Maybe we can get more players from staying in the game rather them packing the game in through limited opportunities.

31 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

When we don't know which division we will be in next year it is difficult with recruiting players.To make S.L more competitive giving more clubs a chance i think a mixture of full time and part time players +developing players is the way forward.The top clubs will never vote for that but i would propose 10 full time players 14 part time players and 6 young developing players under 23 years old.Clubs would run Academies which would enable players not in the first team squad to have some playing time.Academy players would not count in the 30 under the salary cap so to make up numbers extra players would come from the Amateur clubs who would have support from SL clubs in the area.Maybe we can get more players from staying in the game rather them packing the game in through limited opportunities.

One problem S the RFL only allow clubs they fund run academies and they even tried to cancel Bulls, Castleford and Hull KR earlier this year

52 minutes ago, POR said:

One problem S the RFL only allow clubs they fund run academies and they even tried to cancel Bulls, Castleford and Hull KR earlier this year

True they don't realise players develop at different stages.Some that were good as schoolboys don't train on but others who were just decent improve with age.We need to find room to get more young players staying in the game.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

True they don't realise players develop at different stages.Some that were good as schoolboys don't train on but others who were just decent improve with age.We need to find room to get more young players staying in the game.

This is so very true. A good example being James Harrison, who only ended up at Batley after he was rejected by Bradford's academy! Now look where he is and how easily he could have (not of) been lost to the game.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/08/2021 at 22:12, RobLambert said:

It's not that simple though Rob. If the incredible happens (which I'm not convinced will) the SL squad will also depend not just on ability but the part time lads given a career or at worst employment up, this also needs to be factored in. 

2 hours ago, POR said:

No thanks don't need him what we do need is replacements for James H and Frankie H

Re Frankie H - I assume he must have had a release clause in his contract as it was widely reported that he signed a 2 year deal in September 2020?

Speaking about the move, Halton said: “I’m really excited to be joining Featherstone for the next two years, 

FRANKIE HALTON SIGNS FOR ROVERS | Featherstone Rovers (bingj.com)

41 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Re Frankie H - I assume he must have had a release clause in his contract as it was widely reported that he signed a 2 year deal in September 2020?

Speaking about the move, Halton said: “I’m really excited to be joining Featherstone for the next two years, 

FRANKIE HALTON SIGNS FOR ROVERS | Featherstone Rovers (bingj.com)

Last line reveals all...
"He has signed an initial one-year deal with the option of a second year.”