Squad 2022

6 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Last line reveals all...
"He has signed an initial one-year deal with the option of a second year.”

I found that cached article just before posting (and as is clear didn't read all of it!) - the one I was going to post just said 2 year deal and had the same quote from FH (but essentially a release clause 😏 )

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep

I have seen on rovers twitter that James H has today had an operation. I am sure we all wish him well for the future, after an untimely end to his stint with us,He has been a class act.

• Like 4

looks like brown may be off to saints you know one of those super league clubs that don't want anything to do with the lower leagues

I know fev have always had to sell players to survive but this is the best squad we have had for years and we are still losing our players no doubt after the play offs a few more may leave which you can't blame them it's just a job nowadays my money on the next to go will be hardcastle maybe jones again and a fit bussey.

34 minutes ago, eltel said:

looks like brown may be off to saints you know one of those super league clubs that don't want anything to do with the lower leagues

Before we declare this a done deal, let's have a look at how this story started.

RLHub - who have been right about some things and wrong about others (notably stating that Tom Holmes was going to join York or Fax about an hour before we announced him last year) - put the following in one of their stories the other day:
"St Helens have landed Will Hopoate and Joey Lussick from the NRL for next year, but they're not done yet. They've also been linked with Nu Brown from Featherstone, though that appears unlikely now that Lussick has agreed to terms."

So just a vague comment about Brown being linked with them, followed up by a comment it was now unlikely to happen.

Then Serious About RL copied this story, neglected to include the "unlikely to happen "comment, and as they invariably do, stuck it on the Fev fans' Facebook page as clickbait with the sub-heading "Nu Brown targeted". You'd think people would know to give them a wide berth by now, but seemingly not.

It might be true, it might not be, I'm sure that some SL teams will have enquired about Brown to his agent, but the advice remains the same...whenever you read a story, try and check out its source, and work out if it's a reliable source or not.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Interesting  times afoot according to latest offering

An Update from the back office

Football Manager Ian Hardman making huge strides in retaining that talent for next season and bringing in new players for 2022. We will have some exciting announcements on this front to make in forthcoming months 😀😀😀😀😀

• Like 1

I wouldn't like the job of recruitment when we don't know which division Rovers will be in next season.We don't even know if there will be promotion next season so how can you plan for the next couple of years.Hope any future plans for Rugby League take the whole game into the structures and not just keep all the money in S.L.

Lets just have one league for established clubs.. Go back to Yorks v Yorks and Lancs v Lancs . Even shares of money.  Have local derbys, and have a play off between the top 16 clubs. Divide clubs not in the two counties between them from a games point of view. If necessary restrict the number of games with clubs facing the number of oppontents  being of an equal number above, less or of equal standing 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

Lets just have one league for established clubs.. Go back to Yorks v Yorks and Lancs v Lancs . Even shares of money.  Have local derbys, and have a play off between the top 16 clubs. Divide clubs not in the two counties between them from a games point of view. If necessary restrict the number of games with clubs facing the number of oppontents  being of an equal number above, less or of equal standing 

Game has changed since those days Colin. There would be too many blow out scores. There is enough of those now. Think the two tens is the best option of getting teams of equal ability. Then have a third league below those and allow one up and one down. Teams can build then without getting slaughtered score wise. Promoting the game on terrestrial TV like the recent 100s cricket competition would be helpful. There would be certainly be a case for a couple of inter divisional games within the top two divisions to make up the fixtures. But whatever they do they want to make the change a final one and stick to it.

• Like 1

You never know, the BBC showing all the matches at the World Cup next year, if their viewing figures stack up THEY may be interesting in becoming more involved in our game   

On 24/08/2021 at 15:38, The Phantom Horseman said:

Last line reveals all...
"He has signed an initial one-year deal with the option of a second year.”

If that's true then a big mistake by all concerned we could all see how good he was so before anyone came in should have got him to sign a new improved deal for 22

54 minutes ago, POR said:

If that's true then a big mistake by all concerned we could all see how good he was so before anyone came in should have got him to sign a new improved deal for 22

By doing he'd be putting a potential move to SL at risk if someone had to pay a 'fee' so even if we did/had offered a deal I'm sure his advisors would caution against rushing to sign. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

By doing he'd be putting a potential move to SL at risk if someone had to pay a 'fee' so even if we did/had offered a deal I'm sure his advisors would caution against rushing to sign. 

Quite possibly but if you threw enough money at him for another year in the championship so a 24 year old could further hone his skills may have not been considered a bad thing and in the end could have brought him  multiple super league offers 

20 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Good news and bad news...

the good news is that Alex Sutcliffe is fit enough to be named in a 21-man squad again...

the bad news is it's Leeds' squad as he's been recalled without playing for us.

roadbent who Iwould have thought is above alex in the pecking order

That's true but we all know that a 21 man squad isn't worth the paper  it's written on  with some players in it who haven't got a cat in hell's chance of making the 17  🤣

if ALEX is fit would't surprise me if we only name 20 then add him later😀

1 hour ago, POR said:

That's true but we all know that a 21 man squad isn't worth the paper  it's written on  with some players in it who haven't got a cat in hell's chance of making the 17  🤣

if ALEX is fit would't surprise me if we only name 20 then add him later😀

That wouldn't surprise me either, providing he's eligible to return. The RFL Operational Guidelines indicate that he normally wouldn't be because we're past the end of season signing deadline.

However, in July it was announded that clubs will be able to loan players who are eligible to play in the Academy (Under-19) or with a salary cap value of less than £40,000 until the end of the season rather than up to the signing deadline of August 6.

Sutcliffe's salary cap value might well be less than £40k so he might be eligible to return to us, if I have interpreted the rule correctly.