Squad 2022

7 hours ago, POR said:

So he's been a fan of what they've been doing for a while ??  What exactly ? They way they rolled over at our place, and their place, or the fact that they've finally accepted the inevitable and gone part time ?? Big fan of his but good luck on the sinking ship.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RobLambert said:

So he's been a fan of what they've been doing for a while ??  What exactly ? They way they rolled over at our place, and their place, or the fact that they've finally accepted the inevitable and gone part time ?? Big fan of his but good luck on the sinking ship.

Have to say I laughed at that too, but in fairness to him these signing statements are usually a cut and paste job from a preferred list of platitudes held in the club's word document store, and he probably had to hold his nose a bit when he agreed to it.

Good luck to him though, he's been superb for us and I'm extremely sorry to see him go. Perhaps he knows something we don't, and London's sugar daddies are about to spaff yet another pointless fortune up against the wall, just so they can keep playing fantasy RL?

Wonder if any of their current squad might fancy playing for a real club? Rhys Curran, Greg Richards, Olsi Krasniqi - could any of them do a job for us? Would we have Josh Walters back?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

OP updated with Parata's departure.

Despite the rumours, we are still waiting official news on seven first team members.

And, I'd imagine, details of new signings for 2022.

#104daysuntiltheopeningday

Parata rumours Newcastle,and London maybe the scenic and expanding Featherstone is too quiet for him.

7 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Parata rumours Newcastle,and London maybe the scenic and expanding Featherstone is too quiet for him.

Not really after numerous tests they have round out he's allergic to FLAT CAPS

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Adam B said:

Have to say I laughed at that too, but in fairness to him these signing statements are usually a cut and paste job from a preferred list of platitudes held in the club's word document store, and he probably had to hold his nose a bit when he agreed to it.

Agree 100% re the comments, I often wonder if a lot of them are made without even talking to the player concerned. On a similar vein, the comments you sometimes see sportsmen put on social media after a defeat - "disappointing day at the office, fans were awesome as usual, we go again..." etc...often seem to be cut and paste from each club's "social media awareness training" day.

8 hours ago, Adam B said:

Wonder if any of their current squad might fancy playing for a real club? Rhys Curran, Greg Richards, Olsi Krasniqi - could any of them do a job for us? Would we have Josh Walters back?

London announced Curran re-signing for them again yesterday, Richards has signed for Hull KR, Krasniqi seems barely to have played at all this year so presumably has injury issues, and Walters just hasn't looked the same to me when I've seen London though he did play well with us in 2019. To be honest given how moderate they were this year I've been surprised how many London players have found good clubs for next year, at least 3 with SL teams and several others at the likes of Leigh, York, Batley etc.

Been trying to think of what our expectations should be for the squad by the time January comes around. We are going to have a lot of very difficult players to replace - Harrison and Halton in particular as I don't think there are too many players of their calibre who are unsigned and likely to be available to Championship clubs. Maybe if the Jesse S-L rumours are true though that would offset one of those losses though obviously he's a veteran rather than a young, improving player.

Parata was very good for us especially in the first half of the year but we know Jones can do big minutes and if Matty Wildie is coming to us as rumoured I don't think that's an insurmountable loss, Wildie is very solid at this level.

Nu Brown we still don't know about but if he goes that's definitely going to be a loss.

There's still no word about Lockwood, which is strange - you'd have thought there would have been more fanfare already if he was definitely retiring. Maybe it was dependent on what division we were in.

I'm hoping Bussey and Welham stay with us - Bussey is an important part of our pack and Welham was better in the second half of the season than the first in my view.

Blackmore you'd presume would be leaving after not making the team in the closing weeks and with Gale and Hall already confirmed and the rumours of Briscoe signing - if that's confirmed it would be good news as by all accounts he has played very well for Leeds this year.

I think the squad we had this year might have been our best in the summer era, we will have lost a few key players this off-season so it's probably unreasonable to expect it to be improved upon, but if by January we are looking close to as strong as the 2021 squad then I think we will have done pretty well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

See Alex Foster has gone to Newcastle he would be a decent forward at Championship level.He does seem to pick up injuries though and we have had our share of those this season.Certainly having a go next year Newcastle must be some spare cash up there.

I think Foster would have had interest from across the Championship which probably means they have offered him a fair amount, though obviously they are in a strong position to do so now they have gone full time. It's well documented that they have plenty of financial backing so will be interesting to see if they can gel into being strong contenders this season Hopefully their fans are unlikely to copy their soccer equivalents with the chants of "we're richer than you" that were all over the news from Newcastle United fans this weekend.

52 minutes ago, Normy_Rover said:

Jake Sweeting leaves for Dewsbury Rams

Pretty inevitable that he would be moving on I think, he was basically fighting it out with Harvey Spence for the 4th half back spot in 2021. In the circumstances I think he and the club did well to get such extensive game time in a variety of circumstances. Decent player and certainly Championship starter calibre, but probably not for a top-two team at this stage of his career.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Pretty inevitable that he would be moving on I think, he was basically fighting it out with Harvey Spence for the 4th half back spot in 2021. In the circumstances I think he and the club did well to get such extensive game time in a variety of circumstances. Decent player and certainly Championship starter calibre, but probably not for a top-two team at this stage of his career.

so you think you will be top 2 again , pretty cocky that😄

10 minutes ago, georgeb1 said:

Put the rod away, son. We finished top two this season and our recruitment (and to a degree our budget) will reflect that. It's not that hard to work that out, surely, unless you think all players have an equal chance of being recruited by a team that finished second as they do of being recruited by a team in the lower half of the division?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, georgeb1 said:

George,

Where do you think York will finish in the 2022 season (I'm sure Coolie would be interested to know at the very least)

• Haha 1

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

31 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

George,

Where do you think York will finish in the 2022 season (I'm sure Coolie would be interested to know at the very least)

york will make the top 6 where it matters , fev i reckon will finish 3rd and coolies rams will be 9th, crystal ball away now ,  enjoy the season😄

• Like 1

I think that 2021 season was the one for us being promoted into SL best squad for well over 20 years and Toulouse were too good for us.That's  three chances we have had to win promotion on the field and we have not been quite good enough ,although the Wakey game could have gone either way.So i don't expect us to win a play off Final next season i fear i am running out of time to see us promoted on the field.But if SL have 2 divisions of ten with our record we will make that.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, georgeb1 said:

york will make the top 6 where it matters , fev i reckon will finish 3rd and coolies rams will be 9th, crystal ball away now ,  enjoy the season😄

George,

I think York have a chance of the top 6 but not counting chickens until I have seen how the recruitment has gone for all the teams, so I will make some assessments at end of the year. With Leigh, Newcastle, Fev, Halifax, Batley and Bradford all looking strong at this point in time.

Out of interest which two teams do you think will finish higher than Fev?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

32 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

George,

I think York have a chance of the top 6 but not counting chickens until I have seen how the recruitment has gone for all the teams, so I will make some assessments at end of the year. With Leigh, Newcastle, Fev, Halifax, Batley and Bradford all looking strong at this point in time.

Out of interest which two teams do you think will finish higher than Fev?

Like yourself I'll just wait a tad longer , but will give my input before the end of November😯

First new signing announced. Interesting that it's not specifically referred to him being a full back. 

https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/featherstone-rovers-add-brandon-pickersgill-to-the-blue-wall-for-2022-5cy6O

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb