Squad 2022

4 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Great clubman is Locky, but towards the end of his career, and doesn't offer too much in attack these days. We'll need better to challenge the better teams.

Yes and No M I think when he takes the ball in he takes  some getting down and I think his defence is very good but I agree his time as a regular starter in the 17 is sadly over and we need new blood to take over his mantle

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Great clubman is Locky, but towards the end of his career, and doesn't offer too much in attack these days.

I thought he maybe wore down a bit as the season went on, and if so that's understandable at his age, but in the first half of the season in particular there were several games where we struggled in the middle when he and Kopczak went off after their first stint and then looked strong again when they came back on.

He might need managing in terms of playing time a bit more this season though.

36 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Great clubman is Locky, but towards the end of his career, and doesn't offer too much in attack these days.

To be fair he's probably a better passer of the ball now than at any stage of his career, this season we scored more than one try when he ran to the line and then put out a swift pass to another forward (eg Kopczak's try at Wembley).

38 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

We'll need better to challenge the better teams.

Maybe, but I'm inclined to take the view that other teams need to do better to challenge us! Of course one or two do look to have recruited well in the off-season.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, POR said:

Yes and no A I think we got lads with good energy good feet and good ball skills in the pack but at the moment only have koppy and coops who just like to drive the ball in so definitely need some more grunt up front

Agree with that, all good lads in the pack already but they just need reinforcements. We've obviously lost the energy of Harrison and Halton (not that I'm convinced we've seen the last of either....), and the additional grunt would take some of the responsibility and fatigue off the shoulders of the likes of Locky and Kopczak, both of whom have an important part to play next year, but need to be used carefully. Thanks to our ridiculous injury situation last year we had to ask more of them at times than we may have preferred, and I thought it really showed by the time we creaked into the final in Toulouse.

Agree with your other comment above re Callum F too, who had a great first season with us, and looks capable of plenty more development; could become one of the first names on the team-sheet if he stays fit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

18 players and rising.

Just three of last year's whole squad currently unaccounted for.......

19?

Pickersgill Gale Briscoe Hardcastle Hall Chisholm Holmes Smith Wildie Jones Lockwood Kopczak Bussey Cooper Field Moors Hellewell Ferres Davies 

My understanding of this tweet from the club today:

Morning Cappers! Let’s make a deal, 200 Blue Wall members by 5pm and we’ll make a re-signing announcement. 250, we’ll announce a fresh new signing.

is that there's at least one of the remaining three players on the pending list who is staying.
I assume the newbie would be JSL

5 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

My understanding of this tweet from the club today:

Morning Cappers! Let’s make a deal, 200 Blue Wall members by 5pm and we’ll make a re-signing announcement. 250, we’ll announce a fresh new signing.

is that there's at least one of the remaining three players on the pending list who is staying.
I assume the newbie would be JSL

Think we will be keeping Doyle or mconnel can’t see Blackmore being retained 

34 minutes ago, Rovers fev said:

My thoughts too. Hard to see Blackmore getting a start barring injury to Gale or Briscoe, just a bit surprising he doesn't seem to have been linked with anyone else though.

Either of the other two would make more sense, Doyle in particular as he'd be presumably be much cheaper than Blackmore, would provide cover for our established wings and would presumably be the ideal candidate to go out on loan and maybe get the odd game in the 1895 or Challenge Cup.

McConnell didn't let us down and probably played far more games than most people anticipated. Personally I don't think he's really more than a fringe player but we do have a smallish squad as things stand.

1 hour ago, Rovers fev said:

It would make sense to announce  jacob tonight only 2 players in front of him while  loui  who played really well is sadly behind at least 8 forwards but wouldn't surprise me if we announce him later on 

Regarding Ben he's too good to be asked to sit in the stands most weeks but remember were talking FEV here so owts possible🤣

37 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

My thoughts too. Hard to see Blackmore getting a start barring injury to Gale or Briscoe, just a bit surprising he doesn't seem to have been linked with anyone else though.

It is surprising  especially as all the players who we'ave let go were quickly snapped up both in championship and league 1

19 minutes ago, Rarefrith said:

New deal for Jacob Doyle

Plus McConnell. 

Feels like that's it for re-signings. Not sure we'll see Blackmore back with us next year, but time will tell on that. 

Edited by gazza77

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

4 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

Plus McConnell. 

Feels like that's iflt for re-signings. Not sure we'll see Blackmore back with us next year, but time will tell on that. 

Maybe G but remember helewell could be classed as a resigning and I wonder if anymore ex FEV out there waiting to get an invitation to the blue wall🤣

We are now up to 21 players for next season. With the long awaited JSL to come, perhaps there may not be many more signings after that. If DR is happening in some shape or form, then a 23 to 25 man squad might be about the right size. Let's see.

Looking at the changes, I think we're a man short still in the middles, and also perhaps at centre.

In the backs, Hall's position is the big question mark for me. I thought he was ok at full-back but he was moved from there and played his best rugby and was most prolific on the wing. But we have three other out-and-out wingers among those six players. Centre looks weak with only Hardcastle a genuine centre. I think Hall will play there, but defensively we've had problems with that.

In the pivots, Brown is a loss, but Holmes & Chizz as first choice is pretty strong. Smith is an unknown factor after such a long injury lay-off and is a bit of a punt, but if it comes off, we will be ok. Wildie for Parata? Two very different AHBs. Let's see how that goes.

In the forwards, Koppy & Locky a year older and so far no newbies after Harrison and Fergie left. Maybe we'll see more of JD and/or Moors and/or Ferres in the middle rather than second-row? Hellewell for Halton in the second row plus the previously named, and a fuller season from Bussey would be a boost.

*** Rod Lambert & TPH made some really good points about our squad on the other thread about other teams' squads. I think we'll end up with two thread on the same topic here.........

7 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Looking at the changes, I think we're a man short still in the middles, and also perhaps at centre.

In the backs, Hall's position is the big question mark for me. I thought he was ok at full-back but he was moved from there and played his best rugby and was most prolific on the wing. But we have three other out-and-out wingers among those six players. Centre looks weak with only Hardcastle a genuine centre. I think Hall will play there, but defensively we've had problems with that.

One who might be an option at centre on loan/DR is Levi Edwards if he isn't going back to Batley where he played on loan last year. Not 18 until next month but got bags of talent (picked for England Knights squad recently), he would have Newman, Sutcliffe, Tom Briscoe and Broadbent ahead of him in the pecking order at Leeds.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

One who might be an option at centre on loan/DR is Levi Edwards if he isn't going back to Batley where he played on loan last year. Not 18 until next month but got bags of talent (picked for England Knights squad recently), he would have Newman, Sutcliffe, Tom Briscoe and Broadbent ahead of him in the pecking order at Leeds.

Hasn't Sutcliffe joined Cas??

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Funny thing though PH he played centre on loan at at the dogs but on leeds squad page he's listed as a second row😲

L EDWARDS

DOB
25/12/2003
POSITION
SECOND ROW
WEIGHT

HEIGHT
180CM

This like-for-like comparison is not very scientific....

2021 Blackmore 2022 Briscoe
2021 Brown 2022 Smith
2021 Bussey 2022 Bussey
2021 Chisholm 2022 Chisholm
2021 Cooper 2022 Cooper
2021 Davies 2022 Davies
2021 Day 2022 Hellewell 
2021 Ferguson 2022  
2021 Ferres 2022 Ferres
2021 Field  2022 Field 
2021 Gale 2022 Gale
2021 Hall 2022 Hall