Squad 2022

3 hours ago, POR said:

Not really colin NRL salary cap just under £10 million  and clubs get £13 millon a year TV  deal They have to pay 30 players each year the lowest they have to pay for young lads is £60K the average is £350K and the highest  get paid  over £500K

Thanks POR. Seems well beyond our means.

12 hours ago, jamescolin said:

Thanks POR. Seems well beyond our means.

yes and no coin  aussies  after coining it in back home  come over here on vastly reduced contracts just to top up their pensions and i'm sure after 11 years in NRL this lad has enough money in his  bank to last a lifetime so  he will be no different

A great signing by the club and undoubtedly like last year with junior will be classed as the best signing for the championship 

But it would be nice if we signed someone Matt Shaw and his cronies hadn't told us about 2 months ago 🤣

What wonderful news. Good marketing and loyal support.  Is it in the clubs interest for us to go with Premier sports? Do the club get anything from the deal? If not then surely if we buy a their TV membership we will lose support on the terraces. Or have I as usual got it all wrong.

18 hours ago, Cardypaul said:

Club are saying on the website there are more strong signings to come!!!

I saw that C but how long will we have to wait for these more strong signings to follow  happen will the clubs Twitterati wait to  announce them as chrimbo presents:kolobok_ded_moroz:

On 21/11/2021 at 10:14, Rovers fev said:

I’d have big maka back thaught he went well for us 

would like to se a return for susino aswell he looked promising 

Went ok  nothing to write home about he was decent championship level 

BUT that''s  not good enough if we're bringing some one in from aus they don't need to be decent championship level they need to be good enough for SL or we might as well save money and sign someone from down the road

41 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Maka was playing regularly for the Paramatta Eels towards the end of last season, including when helping them to win in the first round of the play-offs, and given he has a contract for 2022 for what is one of the top teams in the NRL I don't think he'll be too upset that he's not good enough for us...

True PH  Maka played in  five of the last six games of the season including Second elimination final: Parramatta Eels 28 def. Newcastle Knights 20 but not in Second semi-final: Penrith Panthers 8 def. Parramatta Eels However, they were the only five games he played all year HE started once against storm and subbed 4 other times  He made his debut in round 22  so not really a regular starter

you say he's got a new contract for 22 but he's listed on zero tackle PLAYERS OFF CONTRACT 2022 – BY POSITION

18 minutes ago, POR said:

you say he's got a new contract for 22 but he's listed on zero tackle PLAYERS OFF CONTRACT 2022 – BY POSITION

Looks like "Zero Tackle" need to start paying more attention to, er, "Zero Tackle"

https://www.zerotackle.com/living-the-dream-how-journeyman-waited-a-decade-for-nrl-debut-111392/

Headline: He also revealed his contract status for 2022.
Text: He also revealed he is signed with the Eels for 2022.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Looks like "Zero Tackle" need to start paying more attention to, er, "Zero Tackle"

https://www.zerotackle.com/living-the-dream-how-journeyman-waited-a-decade-for-nrl-debut-111392/

Headline: He also revealed his contract status for 2022.
Text: He also revealed he is signed with the Eels for 2022.

Agreed PH but it all depends which article was published  first 

23 minutes ago, POR said:

Agreed PH but it all depends which article was published  first 

No, it depends on which article is correct. The one you quoted just seemed to be a long list of players which presumably they hadn't updated.

On a more general subject, I think most if not all Championship clubs looking to get promoted face a similar dilemma in  that it's very hard to build a team that can both win promotion and then have prospects of staying in SL. It's not impossible as Hull KR showed a few years ago but they hung on to a fair proportion of their relegated team.

Any agent with a bit of nouse won't agree to a promising young player with SL aspirations signing a 2-year deal with a Championship team, because if they progress well, then they will have SL teams after them, as was the case with Frankie Halton this year, in fact I'm still not sure how we managed to get that 2-year contract extension for James Harrison after 2019 but we definitely wouldn't have had him in 2021 otherwise.

In the pack, especially, the best players available to Championship clubs are going to be veterans who aren't being retained by SL clubs. No coincidence that Toulouse had the likes of Garbutt, Casty and Hansen last season and we had Kopczak, Moors, and Ferres. I think it's getting harder each year for Championship clubs to find promising young forwards who aren't being eyed up by SL clubs, so you've just got to make sure you sign the right veterans.

That means it's really hard to build a team to win promotion that you can realistically then take up with you to SL. I know Leigh have made noises recently that that's what they're trying to do (by signing a lot of younger players) but pulling it off might not be easy.

• Like 3