Squad 2022

The whole situation with Chizzy is crazy. He's a gem of a player, someone who can win you games on his own with a bit of magic, which is absolutely indispensable at any level. It's an old football truism that players win you games, but defences win you championships, so I understand if McDermott is trying to make the latter our strength, and build a team that fits that mold. However even in the most defensive teams you have to find a place for the odd match-winner, particularly one as potent as Chizzy, and while it would be fair to say he's obviously not been at his best so far this season, that's the kind of thing you work out via the training pitch and (if needed) the metaphorical arm round his shoulder.

Mac has said we need full time to go up...

My guess is we have a few that don't want to go full time, Smith may be a perfect example, that may have a full time job and doesn't want to give that up.

I rate Smith head and shoulders above Ford, but Mac will ultimately get his way...

As for Chizzy, I reckon that sometimes you have to let the head rule the heart, Jacks will be a better option every day of the week, but Chizzy is just Marmite...

8 minutes ago, Adam B said:

Spot on, we've already got more halves than we realistically need (or can keep happy), and I wouldn't rate Ford above any of them, particularly based on what I've seen of him in the last few seasons.

If supporters think Chizzy is weak on defence Ford is much weaker.He would get good ball out to the centres  quicker. But we need a fit Joey and Hardcastle back or a new centre.Best half back pairing we had for giving the backs a chance was Ridyard and Holmes not the quickest but the wingers got chances.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sentoffagain2 said:

If supporters think Chizzy is weak on defence Ford is much weaker.He would get good ball out to the centres  quicker. But we need a fit Joey and Hardcastle back or a new centre.Best half back pairing we had for giving the backs a chance was Ridyard and Holmes not the quickest but the wingers got chances.

Agreed Ford’s defence is awful and if I’m honest I think his offence has been on the decline for a couple of years.

As for chances for our outside backs I think Kheirallah will create plenty of chances for our centre’s and winger’s without Ford.

44 minutes ago, Phil Briscoe said:

But I’m not sure signing players who will obviously be full time themselves operating in a part time environment is the answer. 

Nor is signing full time players (with their related costs) if their part-time equivalents are better players. It's horses for courses and in order to put ourselves in a position where we have the luxury of pondering the full-time question, we first need to make it out of the Championship. We don't need to be full time to do that, our squad last year was clearly good enough to overcome Toulouse (despite the massive advantage handed to them by the RFL), and our squad this year is as good if not better. It's now up to the coach to ensure that squad realises its potential and turns up when it really matters - over to you Big Mac.

2 minutes ago, bigbaldnmad said:

In Macs opinion we do.. and he carries the can if we don't. 

True enough, though it sounds suspiciously like a coach mainly known for successes getting his excuses in early.

We've got a fantastic squad full of (mostly) part-time lads who week in week out sweat blood for us and which is, crucially, plenty good enough (on paper) to finish top and go on to secure promotion. Mac needs to be more mindful of that when proclaiming publicly on the full-time issue, and focus on getting those lads ready for the challenge ahead, which they're more than capable of meeting.

On 31/07/2021 at 13:31, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

30 Players (16 from 2021 + 10 new + 4 returning) contracted for 2022

8 Backs:

28 Mark Kheirallah 1 year deal 2022 NEW

4 Craig Hall 1st year of 2 year deal 2022, 2023

5 Gareth Gale 1st Year of 2 year deal 2022, 2023

1 Brandon Pickersgill 1 year deal 2022 NEW

18 Josh Hardcastle 1st year of 2 year deal 2022, 2023

2 Luke Briscoe 1 year deal 2022 RETURNING

3 Joey Leilua 1 year deal 2022 NEW

24 Jacob Doyle 1 year deal 2022

8 Pivots:

7 Dane Chisholm 3rd Year of 3 year deal 2022. Out on loan.

6 Tom Holmes 1 year deal 2022

20 Morgan Smith 1 year deal 2022 NEW

14 Matty Wildie 1 year deal 2022 RETURNING

9 Connor Jones 1 year deal 2022

25 Bayley Gill 1 year deal 2022 NEW

28 Ryley Jacks 1 year deal 2022 NEW

29 Johnathon Ford 1 year deal 2022 NEW

14 Forwards:

11 Brett Ferres  1 year deal 2022

15 John Davies 1 year deal 2022

8 Craig Kopczak 1 year deal 2022

16 Junior Moors 1 year deal 2022

12 Jesse Sene-Lefao 1 year deal 2022 NEW

13 Jack Bussey 1 year deal 2022

10 James Lockwood 1 year deal 2022

17 Ben Hellewell 1 year deal 2022 RETURNING

19 Callum Field 1st year of 2 year deal 2022, 2023

21 Luke Cooper 1st year of 2 year deal 2022, 2023

22 Kyle Trout 1 year deal 2022 RETURNING. Out on loan.

23 Louie McConnell 1 year deal 2022

26 Adam Cuthbertson 1 year deal 2022 NEW

30 Ben Mathiou 1 year deal 2022 NEW. Out on loan

Just updated the OP.

A 30 man squad as of today with 3 players currently out on loan.

• Thanks 1

Callum Field has gone on a two-week loan to Newcastle.

Makes sense, he has dropped down the pecking order as some of our injured forwards have returned so game time here might be hard to come by in the near future.

Other than hookers there are only 8 spots for forwards each week and he's behind Lockwood, Kopczak, Bussey, Moors, Sene-Lefao, Davies, Cooper, Cuthbertson, and probably Ferres (when fit) and maybe Mathiou now.

“Chizzy” played against Leigh last week and was anonymous, didn’t even realise he was playing until I watched the highlights back and saw how poor his tackling was. Really didn’t look interested.

21 hours ago, binosh said:

“Chizzy” played against Leigh last week and was anonymous, didn’t even realise he was playing until I watched the highlights back and saw how poor his tackling was. Really didn’t look interested.

Looks like he's off to Keighley...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Wish him all the best.

Yep.

His move from Bradford was very good for us and very good for him, and leaves some great memories for him and us.

McDermott prefers others. Some agree with him, some don't. But Jacks and Smith have been playing well, and Ford's on his way. We move on.

• Like 3

It just makes you wonder if it's all been written in the stars when we all thought he would miss a chunk of the season with the infamous 8 game ban 

A great player who will be remembered for his superb contribution to the Rovers team. Hope if Keighley get promoted we aren't playing against him in the future.

52 minutes ago, Phil Briscoe said:

Surprised a top half championship side haven’t picked him up. 

YES and NO PB it could all be down to chizzy I think he played at the bulls with Rhys Lovegrove cougars coach