Squad 2022

Callum Field joins Widnes on loan for rest of the season with no call-back option.

It's fairly clear that Mac has now had time to have a good look at his squad and decided which ones he wants and which ones he doesn't. There are maybe 4 or 5 of our squad who are so far down the pecking order we probably won't see them play for us again.

I don't think Field was going to get much more game time with us barring a huge amount of injuries so this is probably the fairest option for him. Complicated by the fact that he's contracted until 2023 but he remains a long shot to play for us again in my book.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Callum Field joins Widnes on loan for rest of the season with no call-back option.

It's fairly clear that Mac has now had time to have a good look at his squad and decided which ones he wants and which ones he doesn't. There are maybe 4 or 5 of our squad who are so far down the pecking order we probably won't see them play for us again.

I don't think Field was going to get much more game time with us barring a huge amount of injuries so this is probably the fairest option for him. Complicated by the fact that he's contracted until 2023 but he remains a long shot to play for us again in my book.

I thought he showed promise last season, and thought he'd kick on again this year. Hasn't happened for whatever reason: isn't the first time and won't be the last. I'd agree, can't now see him back next year. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

4 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

I thought he showed promise last season, and thought he'd kick on again this year. Hasn't happened for whatever reason: isn't the first time and won't be the last. I'd agree, can't now see him back next year. 

He's a likeable player who always gives 100% effort. It's hard to get away from the importance of sheer physical strength as a middle in the modern game though, winning the collision is so important, and there's a big difference in that regard between our main four or five guys in that position and Field/McConnell/Trout (jury might still be out on Matthiou).

14 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

He's a likeable player who always gives 100% effort. It's hard to get away from the importance of sheer physical strength as a middle in the modern game though, winning the collision is so important, and there's a big difference in that regard between our main four or five guys in that position and Field/McConnell/Trout (jury might still be out on Matthiou).

With regular game time he may get better in that department and learn how to win the collision

I said earlier in the year that players like Callum and Loui weren’t big enough to play prop but was advised that it’s not the same position it used to be so they were fine! Agree Callum looked one for the future last year but hasn’t kicked on….but if you get 10 mins game time for a coach that doesn’t really rate you are you really going to have the confidence to kick on. 
I remain perplexed by Big Mac’s use of the bench but he’s much better at this than I’ll ever be.

10 hours ago, Phil Briscoe said:

I said earlier in the year that players like Callum and Loui weren’t big enough to play prop but was advised that it’s not the same position it used to be so they were fine! Agree Callum looked one for the future last year but hasn’t kicked on….but if you get 10 mins game time for a coach that doesn’t really rate you are you really going to have the confidence to kick on. 
I remain perplexed by Big Mac’s use of the bench but he’s much better at this than I’ll ever be.

I thought Field played ok last season but when on the field this season has not forced himself on the game.To go out on loan is probably best for him and the club he needs regular matches.Its in players own hands they can look for work in attack and defence to impose themselves on the game.Watching other teams play i often think who is that?because a player stands out from the others by his play and work rate.John Davies for us is the type of player who imposes himself on the game he pops up all over the field.

36 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Updated, as the squad seems to change every week.......

As log as it's quality not quantity  M the job's a gudun 🥳

Unfortunately, size and in particular strength does matter in rugby league, at least in the middle, even someone like JD doesn't quite make the same impact when he plays in the middle as he does at edge back row in my view, though his aggressive style still means he plays better as a middle than his size entitles him to.

It might seem that McDermott is being ruthless with his squad but I think the club's view is that if we can get a player 1% better than one of our current ones then we'll sign him and leave it to Mac to do the rest. I felt for Pickersgill when we signed Kheirallah but put a gun to my head and say who's the better player and I'd have to say Kheirallah (try and three assists on Sunday).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Unfortunately, size and in particular strength does matter in rugby league, at least in the middle, even someone like JD doesn't quite make the same impact when he plays in the middle as he does at edge back row in my view, though his aggressive style still means he plays better as a middle than his size entitles him to.

It might seem that McDermott is being ruthless with his squad but I think the club's view is that if we can get a player 1% better than one of our current ones then we'll sign him and leave it to Mac to do the rest. I felt for Pickersgill when we signed Kheirallah but put a gun to my head and say who's the better player and I'd have to say Kheirallah (try and three assists on Sunday).

I'd agree, if we are to be promoted there is no room for sentiment, and I'd agree Kheirallah, at this time is better than Pickersgill.

It also makes sense to loan out fringe players, both to give them game time, and reduce our costs. Surely not good for morale if you've got players in the squad who never get a game.

• Like 2

Hull Daily Mail linking us with a move for Josh Bowden.
https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/josh-bowden-hull-fc-exit-7081147?fbclid=IwAR2bzwE242XXjPdofN9oowv3gXPNKWMzDBy4RHSbKpCJjH-hs0YG9f_qWy8

That would fit in with what we've been doing recently, gradually looking for those small % improvements at certain positions, as mentioned in my previous post. I think Mac doesn't see Field, McConnell and Trout as being quite up to the standard required, hence they seem to be being phased out, Hepi brought in and perhaps Bowden next.

Glancing through social media most Hull FC fans seem to think Bowden wouldn't be a great loss to them, but then again they have some real quality amongst their middles and I seem to remember most Wakefield fans seemed happy to let Kopczak go and he's done pretty well for us.

• Like 1

Bowden would be a great addition, highly experienced at SL level, lots of rugby left in him, and he's a big old unit. Koppy's been great so far (which shows what nonsense it was when Wakey fans were disparaging him) so if Bowden can make the same sort of impact we've got another good 'un.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

That would fit in with what we've been doing recently, gradually looking for those small % improvements at certain positions, 

If Josh Bowden. is a small % improvements of a  certain position, be interesting to see who's position and who slips down the pecking order

7 minutes ago, POR said:

If Josh Bowden. is a small % improvements of a  certain position, be interesting to see who's position and who slips down the pecking order

I'm not sure it's that drastic.

Both cuthbertson and locky aren't in the flush of youth.... injuries and recovery are risks. Its a squad game.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I'm not sure it's that drastic.

Both cuthbertson and locky aren't in the flush of youth.... injuries and recovery are risks. Its a squad game.

That's all true R but when all things are even and  the coach thinks player A is better than player B who sits top of the list 

1 minute ago, POR said:

That's all true R but when all things are even and  the coach thinks player A is better than player B who sits top of the list 

Dunno.... but if we keep all our starting props fit for the rest of the season I'll be gob smacked.

I'll leave the selection headaches to Mc. He's better than me at this stuff🤣

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Dunno.... but if we keep all our starting props fit for the rest of the season I'll be gob smacked.

I'll leave the selection headaches to Mc. He's better than me at this stuff🤣

This...and also keeps everyone on their toes. Barely anyone guaranteed a starting spot in the pack, there's not a lot really between about ten of our middles/back rows.

40 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

This...and also keeps everyone on their toes. Barely anyone guaranteed a starting spot in the pack, there's not a lot really between about ten of our middles/back rows.

That's why I don't think BM has a selection headache 🤣

On 09/05/2022 at 19:22, The Phantom Horseman said:

BOWDEN SIGNING FROM HULL?:

18 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Its a squad game.

Totally agree R but for me if we are about to sign him you don't bring him in  half way through a season if your plan is not to play him in most games that would be a waste of money

Better of saving it and bring in two barnstorming NRL forwards for the play offs🥳

16 hours ago, jamescolin said:

6ft 7inches andx around 17and half stone. Around 30 years old. Lets sign him NOW>

is he really that size , certainly never plays it , thats why hull want shut

46 minutes ago, georgeb1 said:

is he really that size , certainly never plays it , thats why hull want shut

Depends where you look G I've seen 6'1'' 6'4'' and 6'7'' 

• Thanks 1