Jump to content

Squad 2022


Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Not related to our squad any more but interesting to read that Thomas Minns has left Newcastle before playing a game with them and is training with Wakefield

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/wakefield-trinity-thomas-minns-trial-22391994?utm_source=leeds_live_newsletter&utm_campaign=rugby_league_lve_newsletter&utm_medium=email&pure360.trackingid={~TrackingId~}

There does seem to have been quite a few players who have signed for Newcastle but not hung around for long because of the distance from home, even though that has often been in Yorkshire.

Liam Finn said as much , not sure if he actually played a game for them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 07/12/2021 at 20:07, The Phantom Horseman said:

I'd cut that fella a bit of slack if I were you after some of the things he's been through in his life. We don't yet know the background behind him leaving Newcastle either.

Don’t know much about him other than he was impressive at HKR a few years back. Trinity have a good history of resurrecting these kind of players careers. My question is if we can is he still capable of playing SL? I’m not expecting a superstar just competent will do. Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

. My question is if we can is he still capable of playing SL? I’m not expecting a superstar just competent will do. Thanks

He went ok with us but as has been stated didn't really get a clear run of games. Personally out of Hardcastle, Welham and Minns I thought Hardcastle was our best centre last year, and I don't think he's really got any pretensions to being a SL-calibre centre (he's a cracking player at Championship level mind).

Minns was steady, good defensively, I don't think he is going to scare a SL team's defence these days and I'm not sure he has much left in the way of speed but he puts in plenty of effort, he's a likeable character who has been through plenty of adversity and I hope he does well.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

He went ok with us but as has been stated didn't really get a clear run of games. Personally out of Hardcastle, Welham and Minns I thought Hardcastle was our best centre last year, and I don't think he's really got any pretensions to being a SL-calibre centre (he's a cracking player at Championship level mind).

Minns was steady, good defensively, I don't think he is going to scare a SL team's defence these days and I'm not sure he has much left in the way of speed but he puts in plenty of effort, he's a likeable character who has been through plenty of adversity and I hope he does well.

We have some real pace on the wings in Johnstone, Kershaw and Lineman and a youngster called Murphy, we just need a centre with a reasonable ability to draw his man and release his winger. If he can do that I'm happy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok. Although we may well be making more signings soon, and adding DR players as and when, we currently have 25 players.

SImple enough, of those 25, what's your starting XIII for the first match at the end of January? And the bench? And which 8 players are you not picking? Typically, you'd need five backs, four pivots and eight forwards.

BACKS: Craig Hall, Gareth Gale, Brandon Pickersgill, Josh Hardcastle, Luke Briscoe, Joey Leilua, Jacob Doyle,

PIVOTS: Dane Chisholm, Tom Holmes, Morgan Smith, Matty Wildie, Connor Jones, Bayley Gill,

FORWARDS: Brett Ferres, John Davies, Craig Kopczak, Junior Moors, Jesse Sene-Lefao, Jack Bussey, James Lockwood, Ben Hellewell, Callum Field, Luke Cooper, Kyle Trout, Louie McConnell,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It depends on your definition of "what's your starting XIII"? Do you mean the team we would pick ourselves, or what we think the team will be?

Assuming the former, I would go:
Hall
Gale
Hardcastle
Leilua
Briscoe
Holmes
Chisholm
Kopczak
Jones
Lockwood
Sene-Lafao
Moors
Bussey
subs
Wildie
Ferres
Davies
Cooper/Hellewell

However, I think Pickersgill has been signed with the intention of him starting at full back, maybe Hellewell at back row too, I also think Ferres will be selected as the starter at left edge back row (and he did play well towards the back end of last year), and Leilua could feature in the back row too instead of centre.

Also my 17 doesn't really have as many out-and-out middles on the bench as most coaches like so I could see one of Moors/Bussey/Lockwood being on the bench rather than starting.

I've gone for Holmes over Smith partnering Chissy, though I suspect plenty will want to see what Smith can do, there should be opportunities for all of them plus Gill at some stage anyway.

Moreover, I think we'll rotate the squad a fair bit too, including incorporating some DR involvement.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

It depends on your definition of "what's your starting XIII"? Do you mean the team we would pick ourselves, or what we think the team will be?

Assuming the former, I would go:
Hall
Gale
Hardcastle
Leilua
Briscoe
Holmes
Chisholm
Kopczak
Jones
Lockwood
Sene-Lafao
Moors
Bussey
subs
Wildie
Ferres
Davies
Cooper/Hellewell

However, I think Pickersgill has been signed with the intention of him starting at full back, maybe Hellewell at back row too, I also think Ferres will be selected as the starter at left edge back row (and he did play well towards the back end of last year), and Leilua could feature in the back row too instead of centre.

Also my 17 doesn't really have as many out-and-out middles on the bench as most coaches like so I could see one of Moors/Bussey/Lockwood being on the bench rather than starting.

I've gone for Holmes over Smith partnering Chissy, though I suspect plenty will want to see what Smith can do, there should be opportunities for all of them plus Gill at some stage anyway.

Moreover, I think we'll rotate the squad a fair bit too, including incorporating some DR involvement.

 

Given all the variables, and little to go on with some players, it's a tough task, isn't it?

Plenty of options there.

I picked the same backline, but with Moors and Ferres as 2nd row, with JSL in the middle. Hellewell will definitely want a 2nd row slot though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Given all the variables, and little to go on with some players, it's a tough task, isn't it?

Plenty of options there.

I picked the same backline, but with Moors and Ferres as 2nd row, with JSL in the middle. Hellewell will definitely want a 2nd row slot though.

JSL in the middle is definitely an alternative. We have so many players who can play either forward role that it's really hard picking a team, even before the DR lads are unveiled.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

It depends on your definition of "what's your starting XIII"? Do you mean the team we would pick ourselves, or what we think the team will be?

Assuming the former, I would go:
Hall
Gale
Hardcastle
Leilua
Briscoe
Holmes
Chisholm
Kopczak
Jones
Lockwood
Sene-Lafao
Moors
Bussey
subs
Wildie
Ferres
Davies
Cooper/Hellewell

Interesting choices PH  no mention of field and JD 

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Moreover, I think we'll rotate the squad a fair bit too, including incorporating some DR involvement
 

It's going to be interesting this time round with DR my understanding was we only used it to cover injuries and suspensions and when we let the PNG lads go  rather than play them cos the whinos wanted us to play them

 Now  it appears whinos want to ensure REGULAR, first-grade action for as much of their squad as possible.

 So will we be obliged to play them irrespective of how many fit FEV players we have❓

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, POR said:

Interesting choices PH  no mention of field and JD 

 

JD is in there, on the bench. Field did well for us this year and I'm sure he'll play plenty of games again for us next year, personally I have a narrow preference for Cooper but not much in it.

16 minutes ago, POR said:

 

It's going to be interesting this time round with DR my understanding was we only used it to cover injuries and suspensions and when we let the PNG lads go  rather than play them cos the whinos wanted us to play them

 Now  it appears whinos want to ensure REGULAR, first-grade action for as much of their squad as possible.

 So will we be obliged to play them irrespective of how many fit FEV players we have❓

We have never been obliged to play them and it's been fairly obvious over a number of years that there have been opportunities to play Leeds players and we have chosen to go with our own.  Leeds' reasons for sending them haven't changed and I think you may be reading too much into Matt Shaw using the word "regular" in his article.

In fact, I'd suggest the players concerned are just as likely not to play for us due to Leeds withholding them on occasions for their own first-team squad as due to us not selecting them, because it's not difficult to narrow down who these players are going to be now that Bradford have announced their loanees, and the DR lads are all going to be knocking on the Leeds first team door when injuries or suspensions hit them.

I would think we'll use them either when the coach thinks the player concerned represents the best option to us, or when injuries/suspensions strike, or when we want to give one of our lads a rest. So pretty much as it has been in previous years. There's every chance we will have upwards of 33 games this season so there may be plenty of squad rotation.

I don't think it has ever been the case that we only used DR to cover injuries and suspensions.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

JD is in there, on the bench. Field did well for us this year and I'm sure he'll play plenty of games again for us next year, personally I have a narrow preference for Cooper but not much in it.

We have never been obliged to play them and it's been fairly obvious over a number of years that there have been opportunities to play Leeds players and we have chosen to go with our own.  Leeds' reasons for sending them haven't changed and I think you may be reading too much into Matt Shaw using the word "regular" in his article.

In fact, I'd suggest the players concerned are just as likely not to play for us due to Leeds withholding them on occasions for their own first-team squad as due to us not selecting them, because it's not difficult to narrow down who these players are going to be now that Bradford have announced their loanees, and the DR lads are all going to be knocking on the Leeds first team door when injuries or suspensions hit them.

I would think we'll use them either when the coach thinks the player concerned represents the best option to us, or ccSo pretty much as it has been in previous years. There's every chance we will have upwards of 33 games this season so there may be plenty of squad rotation.

I don't think it has ever been the case that we only used DR to cover injuries and suspensions.

I'll stand corrected if I'm wrong but can't remember us resting players for a whinos DR

For me it will be interesting to see BM's take on DR will he only use it when injuries/suspensions strike, and when we want to give one of our lads a rest or will  he think playing SL players  represents the best option for us so  plays them all the time they are available regardless of fit FEV lads

As for reading too much into Matt Shaw I think he's someone who likes the sound of his own voice so when he posts owt about FEV I take it with a pinch of salt 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, POR said:

I'll stand corrected if I'm wrong but can't remember us resting players for a whinos DR

 

Hasn't happened very often but in the 2019 1895 Cup we played a handful of DR lads away at Widnes and rested plenty of regulars, possible that might happen again in that comp or even in the Challenge Cup. More frequently though it's been a case of waiting for an injury and then proving themselves and keeping their spot, such as when Alex Sutcliffe was a late call-up at Leigh one day and ended up playing almost the entire rest of the season.

34 minutes ago, POR said:

As for reading too much into Matt Shaw I think he's someone who likes the sound of his own voice so when he posts owt about FEV I take it with a pinch of salt 

Strange thing to say, for a few years now he's been by far the most reliable media source for RL signings news including about us.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, POR said:

 

For me it will be interesting to see BM's take on DR will he only use it when injuries/suspensions strike, and when we want to give one of our lads a rest

 

Yes that will be interesting to see. We don't have any obvious gaps that are waiting to be filled, at least until injuries strike, but there won't be much real practical difference between the so-called season-long loans (most of which will effectively be rolling two-week loans) and Dual Reg, and I think most coaches will just play whoever gives them the best chance to win.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, POR said:

Didn't alex stay when we sent the naughty PNG centre home 

From memory Sutcliffe didn't play again for a few games after the Leigh game but then Teteh got injured for the first time, Newman got into the Leeds side and Sutcliffe played in the Cup at Bradford and then played well against York on Chissy's debut.

Teteh wasn't sacked until August but he hadn't been in the team for a while anyway after dislocating his shoulder against Swinton in April, to be honest Sutcliffe was better than him anyway and I seem to remember Teteh's last game for us came in the reserves, he seemed to be named in the squad a lot but couldn't get in the team the last couple of months before his departure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Phil Briscoe said:

I wonder if there will be a new signing announcement this week as a Xmas present to the cappers. I wouldn’t be totally surprised if that was the case…but might just be wishful thinking on my part! 

Personally i think that will be it for now and go with what we'v got and bring more players in for end of season playoffs but i might be wrong which i uselly am 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Phil Briscoe said:

I wonder if there will be a new signing announcement this week as a Xmas present to the cappers. I wouldn’t be totally surprised if that was the case…but might just be wishful thinking on my part! 

That would be nice PB just as long as it's a permanent signings not just leeds lads covered in glitter

2 hours ago, plug said:

Personally i think that will be it for now and go with what we'v got and bring more players in for end of season playoffs but i might be wrong which i uselly am 

 P Since BM said we're not done with recruitment nowt's happened so would  like to think were going to add some more grunt to  the front row

Link to comment
Share on other sites

learnt summat new tuther day  Super League, clubs are permitted to have seven NFT players. In simple terms, an NFT player is one who was not trained within Europe during their junior development.but In the Championship, there are no restrictions on the number of non-federation trained players allowed in a squad, effectively allowing any club to have as many overseas players as they wish.

So leigh have just signed number 8  John Asiata after his aussie contract was terminated on 7 December for his continual refusal to receive a COVID-19 vaccination. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...