Jump to content

Squad 2022


Recommended Posts


On 28/03/2022 at 09:50, georgeb1 said:

Kheirallah is a decent fullback but more importantly for you guys he reliably kicks goals , hall and chizzy are very inconsistent .

Last season 

Hall - 74%

Kheirallah - Around 78%

So not much in it.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/03/2022 at 09:50, georgeb1 said:

Kheirallah is a decent fullback but more importantly for you guys he reliably kicks goals , hall and chizzy are very inconsistent .

Do the stats state where the tries/goals were taken from, I think not.  The way Toulouse took most teams apart I expect most kicks were taken from in front of the posts.  I believe you are too simplistic in your analysis. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, in general, all regular kickers should be aiming for between 70% and 80% successful. Under that is probably unacceptable medium-long term, and anything over that is Steve Quinn/Cyril Kellett exceptional. Fev Rovers last five years years stats are:

2017 Cory Aston 49 from 74 at 66%. Ian Hardman 43 from 55 at 78%

2018 Ian Hardman 108 from 136 at 79%. Martin Ridyard 59 from 93 at 63%

2019 Dane Chisholm 100 from 136 at 74%

2020 Only played 6 matches

2021 Craig Hall 113 from 156 at 72%. Dane Chisholm 31 from 39 at 79%

2022 Craig Hall 36 from 49 at 73%

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

So, in general, all regular kickers should be aiming for between 70% and 80% successful. Under that is probably unacceptable medium-long term, and anything over that is Steve Quinn/Cyril Kellett exceptional. Fev Rovers last five years years stats are:

2017 Cory Aston 49 from 74 at 66%. Ian Hardman 43 from 55 at 78%

2018 Ian Hardman 108 from 136 at 79%. Martin Ridyard 59 from 93 at 63%

2019 Dane Chisholm 100 from 136 at 74%

2020 Only played 6 matches

2021 Craig Hall 113 from 156 at 72%. Dane Chisholm 31 from 39 at 79%

2022 Craig Hall 36 from 49 at 73%

 

Interesting stats. As Lingaro says above, they only tell part of the picture, of course, as in some seasons we have scored bucketloads of tries in the corner - one season when Gaz Moore was kicking I remember that happening, and Ridyard's year in 2018 coincided with Luke Briscoe's record-breaking try spree in the right corner, which wouldn't have helped his strike rate.

That said, Ian Hardman's strike rate when he took over the kicking duties towards the end of his career was enough to suggest that if he had been handed that role when he joined us in 2009 he might have threatened the seemingly unchallengeable career goals record of Steve Quinn.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Interesting stats. As Lingaro says above, they only tell part of the picture, of course, as in some seasons we have scored bucketloads of tries in the corner - one season when Gaz Moore was kicking I remember that happening, and Ridyard's year in 2018 coincided with Luke Briscoe's record-breaking try spree in the right corner, which wouldn't have helped his strike rate.

That said, Ian Hardman's strike rate when he took over the kicking duties towards the end of his career was enough to suggest that if he had been handed that role when he joined us in 2009 he might have threatened the seemingly unchallengeable career goals record of Steve Quinn.

Yes, the year long stats assume that things such as number of touchline attempts v number of under-the-sticks attempts levels itself out over a season. I had assumed that too.

The suggestion that some seasons saw us play a more expansive game which resulted in more tries being scored wide out is interesting.

What we would need is for somebody to hit the RoversTV archives and record the angle of kick after all 834* tries over the period 2017 to date, plus penalty goals, then subdivide the kicks into, for example, four categories of difficulty, and then redo the %age success rate by category of difficulty for every kicker.

Any offers? 😉

 

*True figure

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

What we would need is for somebody to hit the RoversTV archives and record the angle of kick after all 834* tries over the period 2017 to date, plus penalty goals, then subdivide the kicks into, for example, four categories of difficulty, and then redo the %age success rate by category of difficulty for every kicker.

Any offers? 😉

 

To be honest, I think it's a shocking disgrace that this info isn't already available on www.fevarchive.co.uk. 😀

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, lingaro said:

Do the stats state where the tries/goals were taken from, I think not.  The way Toulouse took most teams apart I expect most kicks were taken from in front of the posts.  I believe you are too simplistic in your analysis. 

I thought the same.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, lingaro said:

Do the stats state where the tries/goals were taken from, I think not.  The way Toulouse took most teams apart I expect most kicks were taken from in front of the posts.  I believe you are too simplistic in your analysis. 

I was thinking the same.   

I do like a percentage but ignoring the stats for now Hall is one of the best strikers of the ball I have seen at Rovers (even if some do miss they invariably clear the uprights and are thereabouts).  I can't recall him skewing it to the side badly.  He does seem to have a good success rate from near touch (Maybe less pressure and knowing he easily has the distance ?)  The stats are surprising though - I wouldn't have thought Hardo and Chizzy would be anywhere near those figures. 

Interesting stuff but I bet georgeb1 is having a right laugh as I'm sure he only made the point as a wind up.... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, RobLambert said:

I was thinking the same.   

I do like a percentage but ignoring the stats for now Hall is one of the best strikers of the ball I have seen at Rovers (even if some do miss they invariably clear the uprights and are thereabouts).  I can't recall him skewing it to the side badly.  He does seem to have a good success rate from near touch (Maybe less pressure and knowing he easily has the distance ?)  The stats are surprising though - I wouldn't have thought Hardo and Chizzy would be anywhere near those figures. 

Interesting stuff but I bet georgeb1 is having a right laugh as I'm sure he only made the point as a wind up.... 

It's not just his goal kicks,  his kick offs are superb too cause the opposition loads of problems. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

 

 

Please view my photos.

 

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

 

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

 

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

Hope not we already have better at the club 

Apparently Chisholm on his way and Ford coming in,it's rife round these parts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, lingaro said:

Signing a full time team for SL is my guess, no point starting 6 weeks before the season starts. 

Is Smith doesn't want full time, then I would agree...

If Smith would do full time if in SL, then I cant see why we would sign Ford, no improvement but I bet he would be on a lot more money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do think we are really going for it this year and recognise it as a great chance to get up so full credit to the club for the investment. There is also some level of logic signing players to stop your obvious competitor doing so  if you can afford it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  Exciting times ahead looks like it may be sh-t or bust.But with no disrespect to other Championship sides we do look to have only Leigh as realistic promotion contenders.As i posted earlier i had a feeling Chizzy was on his way out and not in Macs plans.If we do reach SL i will have to buy a season ticket next season as i think some games would sell out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it is or bust. Whoever comes down from SL next year with a parachute payment is likely to be stronger than us if we don’t go up.

Chizzy has been great but he only ever stays somewhere 2/3 years before there’s a fall out so he might not be completely blameless himself. No idea what’s happened behind the scenes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cardypaul said:

Hope not we already have better at the club 

Spot on, we've already got more halves than we realistically need (or can keep happy), and I wouldn't rate Ford above any of them, particularly based on what I've seen of him in the last few seasons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...