Scrap to avoid the dreaded drop.

graham fisher

1 hour ago, coolie said:

Who do you think they ring when they get in to trouble🤔

Mike Ashley is never off the phone 🤔🤣

Then just pay the bill!

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

It could be a strategy of offering incentives on a short term basis to attract supporters back. It is unlikely short term to recoup the lost revenue, but if it brings back some more fans long term and you revert to normal admission, then it's a win. Supermarkets do this all the time with short term discounts. 

You can't guarantee it will work but the downside is limited and if it does attract even another 20 regular fans then the payback is massive.

Definitely need to try something on this front.  Expecting people to pay £18 to watch what we are seeing at present is a big ask... what about something like £30 for last three home games...Risks upsetting season ticket holders but Id pay that....

• 4 weeks later...

Well we are down to our last 3 games and it’s between us and Oldham to see who drops down to championship 1. I’ll tell you something if Oldham beat Widnes on Sunday I really fear for us as I reckon they can beat Newcastle so that means it will be winner takes all at our place,sorry if I’m been negative but I can’t see us winning another game,from what I saw on Sunday majority of that team don’t seem to have the stomach for the battle ahead,hope I’m wrong like. I know theirs one or two on other threads that say we may be better dropping down and rebuilding,sorry but I think that would be the end of the club. Let’s just hope them Widnes players show more pride in the club and shirt than our players are showing.

21 minutes ago, graham fisher said:

Well we are down to our last 3 games and it’s between us and Oldham to see who drops down to championship 1. I’ll tell you something if Oldham beat Widnes on Sunday I really fear for us as I reckon they can beat Newcastle so that means it will be winner takes all at our place,sorry if I’m been negative but I can’t see us winning another game,from what I saw on Sunday majority of that team don’t seem to have the stomach for the battle ahead,hope I’m wrong like. I know theirs one or two on other threads that say we may be better dropping down and rebuilding,sorry but I think that would be the end of the club. Let’s just hope them Widnes players show more pride in the club and shirt than our players are showing.

I don't think there is a chance that you will be relegated.

I never get the argument about dropping down and rebuilding. How on earth does that make you stronger?

5 minutes ago, graham fisher said:

Hope you’re right.A few have said it,relegation would be a disaster for us.

Would it🤔

If the budget  so low we cannot compete... What's the point staying in a division we can't compete in. 

Fans are hardly going to flock back to watch the eternal struggle of flirting with relegation. 

Club might be happy budgeting for 7 wins a season and only winning 6,not paying out winning pay week in week out, Kevin at Batley must be having a meltdown with the winning pay he's had to shell out this season🤣, fans are turning their back on Dewsbury and the trend needs bucking... Or else 🤔

10 hours ago, coolie said:

Would it🤔

If the budget  so low we cannot compete... What's the point staying in a division we can't compete in. 

Fans are hardly going to flock back to watch the eternal struggle of flirting with relegation. 

Club might be happy budgeting for 7 wins a season and only winning 6,not paying out winning pay week in week out, Kevin at Batley must be having a meltdown with the winning pay he's had to shell out this season🤣, fans are turning their back on Dewsbury and the trend needs bucking... Or else 🤔

Whilst I understand the point, relegation would be a financial disaster. We would lose the good players we have and support would drop. 

You only have to look at Batley to see what a change of coach can do. I don't believe we have the worst team in the Championship, but to be blunt LG only had coaching experience of Gloucester All Golds which was a different proposition. 

We have 100 points difference advantage over Oldham, so they need to win all 3 and we need to lose all 3 and lose that points difference. 

If that does happen and LG had the opportunity of postponing the Featherstone game, then the blame rests 100% on him. Going ahead with a certain defeat and big points loss shows zero tactical idea. Had we pulled out, we'd be safe now. 

The most important signing MS will make will be the next coach.

10 hours ago, coolie said:

Would it🤔

The club desperately needs to find some relevance in the local area again through engaging with the community.

Players visiting Schools, amateur clubs, the Rampage club, etc.

Having only 80 season tickets holders is barely league 1 level. 

Perhaps the cheap season ticket deal is the way to do this. Didn’t we do a £40 season ticket some years ago?

Something has to be done to reverse the decline.

rambo.gif

14 hours ago, graham fisher said:

I really fear for us as I reckon they can beat Newcastle so that means it will be winner takes all at our place,

What a game that would be though. I, like DD don't think Oldam can beat both Widnes & especially Newcastle, but if they do I'd be at your place for the Oldham match, I think I've got a red and white stripey Bulldogs top somewhere too 😉

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

5 hours ago, Rambo said:

The club desperately needs to find some relevance in the local area again through engaging with the community.

Players visiting Schools, amateur clubs, the Rampage club, etc.

Having only 80 season tickets holders is barely league 1 level. 

Perhaps the cheap season ticket deal is the way to do this. Didn’t we do a £40 season ticket some years ago?

Something has to be done to reverse the decline.

This is true but in addition RL has to find relevance in all the local communities. People are drifting away from the game in general, and that includes at an amateur level. The whole concept of the sport needs a gear shitf and old tragics like me aren't the ones to do this.

The sport and the individual matches need to represent an occasion that younger folk want to visit, not just 80 minutes of RL on a piece of grass. If you weren't already a RL follower, what would induce you to attend any RL game, anywhere, at the moment?

The issue needs addressing both at the top and the bottom or this decline will accelerate.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

16 hours ago, coolie said:

Would it🤔

Maybe the playing budget in C1 will be £80k lower than the one that we currently have?

Maybe the shareholders will decide that they don't want to subsidise one or more seasons in C1 so bale out instead?

Maybe the gates drop to the Hunslet level?

This would only lead in one direction, sadly.

At least you would then be able to wear your Batley shirt without shame, Coolie

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Maybe the playing budget in C1 will be £80k lower than the one that we currently have?

Maybe the shareholders will decide that they don't want to subsidise one or more seasons in C1 so bale out instead?

Only Batley shirt I have is cut into convenient strips, and lives in my bathroom cupboard.... Just in case I run out of wipee wipee 🤔😘😘

4 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

If the shareholders do decide they want to leave what happens then? Do they put the club up for sale?

Isn’t there a proviso that RL must continue to be played at the stadium or will Kirklees takeover lease and sell it to Barrett homes or whoever?

rambo.gif

1 hour ago, Rambo said:

If the shareholders do decide they want to leave what happens then? Do they put the club up for sale?

Isn’t there a proviso that RL must continue to be played at the stadium or will Kirklees takeover lease and sell it to Barrett homes or whoever?

I believe that the club holds a 99 year lease on the ground and that there is a strong covenant that requires it to be used for sports and which precludes development, either residential or commercial.

Almost every RL club is permanently for sale - you just need to find someone daft rich enough to buy it.

6 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

This is true but in addition RL has to find relevance in all the local communities. People are drifting away from the game in general, and that includes at an amateur level. The whole concept of the sport needs a gear shitf and old tragics like me aren't the ones to do this.

The sport and the individual matches need to represent an occasion that younger folk want to visit, not just 80 minutes of RL on a piece of grass. If you weren't already a RL follower, what would induce you to attend any RL game, anywhere, at the moment?

The issue needs addressing both at the top and the bottom or this decline will accelerate.

Couldn’t agree more. I was looking to introduce my 6 year old to watching Dewsbury (I’m a cruel father😆) and indeed RL in general but if I’m not enjoying the game anymore and I’ve watched it for years how is he?

It’s becoming increasingly difficult to even buy a copy of RL express these days in my local shop (live in Wakey) and the Dewsbury reporter is rubbish for club stuff.

I’d watch every SL game on Sky too but not bothered anymore (only watched a handful this year).

As you say it needs addressing from top to bottom but I don’t have faith in Ralph Rimmer even if he has the games best interests at heart.

Giving the game to Matchroom sports for the Hearns to market the game in a new way seems desperate but desperate times call for desperate measures!!

rambo.gif

On 31/08/2021 at 21:57, coolie said:

Would it🤔

I agree Coolie.   All this doom and gloom about going out of business if we go down.  Really?  Just had a look, plenty of familiar teams down there that have survived the drop.  We would too and we'd be playing teams at a similar level which would lead to more competitive games.   Never thought I'd be posting this but as things stand at the moment I won't be splashing out £185 on a season ticket for 2022 to watch another desperate Championship season.  Charge £150 and give me games against Hunslet, Keighley etc and I'll buy two.  

Sorry, but like all those faces we don't see anymore, season after season of relying on other teams to be worse than us is draining and getting the lad to come with me this season has proved near impossible.  He will be another lost supporter in the age group we need most......My Dad and brother have also stopped attending now.   Another season of defeat after defeat won't get them back either....

I'm from Dewsbury and have been a fan on and off for years but I do see a massive contrast in how my son and daughter are involved in Newcastle Thunder's youth programs in comparison to how things work in my home town.

My daughter is an U8 and has been involved in a number of festivals, 2 of which have been at Kingston Park. My son an U12, is in a plate final at Kingston park a week on Saturday, as well as having the same festival experience as my daughter. On both occasion's we have enjoyed cheap tickets to attend Thunder home games, one of which was Oldham. The crowd was significantly boosted, the kids loved it and we met loads of other parents etc. 

OK Newcastle's reach is as far as Catterick where my kids play and they have clubs that feed in from afar as Anlwick and closer to us, Yarm but the feeder system from these clubs is showing promise - with 3 kids in the academy from Catterick alone.

The heavy woollen district has a similar sized captive audience but the 2 clubs being in such close proximity is diluting the offering and it's ability to fund marketing, ticket office etc. Unless the RFL centralise these functions - and I don't see that happening - then I think the clubs have to take the initiative.

IMO it is now time to consider what Batley and Dewsbury can do together to form a senior mens team(s), ladies team, 9's and wheelchair side that is fed through an integrated community set up. Otherwise I believe the inevitable will happen for both clubs. I think Dewsbury's current plight is where they should be and Batley are punching well above their weight but that is not sustainable.

Dewsbury and Batley's heritage is modest but important to about a thousand people. How many would be more interested in their future offering if they took a radical step?

19 hours ago, distantdog said:

I would, I am sure he will agree to loaning you a couple of our thoroughbreds! I am assuming you mean our esteemed chairman when you refer to the divine.

Having been to the same educational establishment as your chair the one adjective he certainly isn’t is “divine”!

3 hours ago, Ackroman said:

I'm from Dewsbury and have been a fan on and off for years but I do see a massive contrast in how my son and daughter are involved in Newcastle Thunder's youth programs in comparison to how things work in my home town.

My daughter is an U8 and has been involved in a number of festivals, 2 of which have been at Kingston Park. My son an U12, is in a plate final at Kingston park a week on Saturday, as well as having the same festival experience as my daughter. On both occasion's we have enjoyed cheap tickets to attend Thunder home games, one of which was Oldham. The crowd was significantly boosted, the kids loved it and we met loads of other parents etc. 

OK Newcastle's reach is as far as Catterick where my kids play and they have clubs that feed in from afar as Anlwick and closer to us, Yarm but the feeder system from these clubs is showing promise - with 3 kids in the academy from Catterick alone.

The heavy woollen district has a similar sized captive audience but the 2 clubs being in such close proximity is diluting the offering and it's ability to fund marketing, ticket office etc. Unless the RFL centralise these functions - and I don't see that happening - then I think the clubs have to take the initiative.

IMO it is now time to consider what Batley and Dewsbury can do together to form a senior mens team(s), ladies team, 9's and wheelchair side that is fed through an integrated community set up. Otherwise I believe the inevitable will happen for both clubs. I think Dewsbury's current plight is where they should be and Batley are punching well above their weight but that is not sustainable.

Dewsbury and Batley's heritage is modest but important to about a thousand people. How many would be more interested in their future offering if they took a radical step?

But in Dewsbury & Batley the vast majority have no interest in Rugby League... And in time that will kill the teams like Dewsbury, Batley, Halifax, Rochdale, Oldham, even Bradford's numbers have suffered because of the vast majority... Only a matter of time🤔

Archived