Scrap to avoid the dreaded drop.

graham fisher

4 hours ago, Ackroman said:

I'm from Dewsbury and have been a fan on and off for years but I do see a massive contrast in how my son and daughter are involved in Newcastle Thunder's youth programs in comparison to how things work in my home town.

My daughter is an U8 and has been involved in a number of festivals, 2 of which have been at Kingston Park. My son an U12, is in a plate final at Kingston park a week on Saturday, as well as having the same festival experience as my daughter. On both occasion's we have enjoyed cheap tickets to attend Thunder home games, one of which was Oldham. The crowd was significantly boosted, the kids loved it and we met loads of other parents etc. 

OK Newcastle's reach is as far as Catterick where my kids play and they have clubs that feed in from afar as Anlwick and closer to us, Yarm but the feeder system from these clubs is showing promise - with 3 kids in the academy from Catterick alone.

The heavy woollen district has a similar sized captive audience but the 2 clubs being in such close proximity is diluting the offering and it's ability to fund marketing, ticket office etc. Unless the RFL centralise these functions - and I don't see that happening - then I think the clubs have to take the initiative.

IMO it is now time to consider what Batley and Dewsbury can do together to form a senior mens team(s), ladies team, 9's and wheelchair side that is fed through an integrated community set up. Otherwise I believe the inevitable will happen for both clubs. I think Dewsbury's current plight is where they should be and Batley are punching well above their weight but that is not sustainable.

Dewsbury and Batley's heritage is modest but important to about a thousand people. How many would be more interested in their future offering if they took a radical step?

I think this implies the dreaded M-word

I'm all for it and think the addition of Red Amber & Black boot laces to the Batley strip would just about cover Dewsbury's contribution

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, coolie said:

But in Dewsbury & Batley the vast majority have no interest in Rugby League... And in time that will kill the teams like Dewsbury, Batley, Halifax, Rochdale, Oldham, even Bradford's numbers have suffered because of the vast majority... Only a matter of time🤔

The "vast majority" follow soccer, and always have done.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

16 minutes ago, Hugh Jarce said:

I think the vast majority Coolie is talking about follow cricket, not football.

Bingo 👏👏👏👏

We have a winner😜😜

And after watching the latest video of them attacking each other with cricket bats on Facebook 

They can stay in cricket 🤔🤔

5 hours ago, Hugh Jarce said:

I think the vast majority Coolie is talking about follow cricket, not football.

Ah, you mean the minority - struggling with the language again.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

I think he means the majority of the minority

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Oldham getting a pasting at Widnes at present. Will they do a Catalans in the 2nd half or will we be able to relax a little?

On 03/09/2021 at 19:36, Blind side johnny said:

No BSJ, I have no struggle with the English language at all.

However, sometimes I do struggle understanding why I still bother with RL, but then a win at Sheffield/Doncaster sorts things out!

"Life's tough.......It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

1 hour ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Think you might need to throw in a few Hail Mary's as well as it's Batley 😂

I believe that is restricted to American Football.

It would definitely produce cries of "Forrard!".

3 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

It is used in American Football but it is a prayer as well. If was in SL, it wouldn't be a forward pass https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hail_Mary

The move, being a vey low percentage chance, gets its name from the prayer.

On 01/09/2021 at 08:17, Wakefield Ram said:

Whilst I understand the point, relegation would be a financial disaster. We would lose the good players we have and support would drop. 

You only have to look at Batley to see what a change of coach can do. I don't believe we have the worst team in the Championship, but to be blunt LG only had coaching experience of Gloucester All Golds which was a different proposition. 

We have 100 points difference advantage over Oldham, so they need to win all 3 and we need to lose all 3 and lose that points difference. 

If that does happen and LG had the opportunity of postponing the Featherstone game, then the blame rests 100% on him. Going ahead with a certain defeat and big points loss shows zero tactical idea. Had we pulled out, we'd be safe now. 

The most important signing MS will make will be the next coach.

LG never coached at Siddal then? 🤔

3 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Was also assistant at Fax for a while and by all accounts wasn't much to write home about.

Really? One of the decent coaches I’ve known at Batley with Karl in 2011 - better than a certain former coach before & after JK and his crew…

20 minutes ago, Keep The Faith said:

Really? One of the decent coaches I’ve known at Batley with Karl in 2011 - better than a certain former coach before & after JK and his crew…

Think he were under Harrison at Fax and one would tell a player to do one thing while the other was saying the exact opposite. Not on the same page at all.

6 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Was also assistant at Fax for a while and by all accounts wasn't much to write home about.

2 hours ago, Keep The Faith said:

2 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Think he were under Harrison at Fax and one would tell a player to do one thing while the other was saying the exact opposite. Not on the same page at all.

What’s all this Halifax/Batley stuff got to do with Dewsbury avoiding relegation?

Legs, Dews, Legs.

Archived