Stadiums / Venues

What are your favourites? Where would you love to visit?

In the UK

1. Post Office Road

2. Tottenham ground is lovely. Always enjoy a trip to London

3. Lords. As above

4. Enjoy St James Park for boozing reasons

5. Cardiff. As per 4.

6. Celtic Park. Atmosphere.

7. Pitches in Cumbria / Oldham etc because of how lovely / bleak they can be

Overseas

1. MCG. Big.

2. Leichard. Lovely.

3. Any other old school Aus ground. Also lovely.

4. Oly stadiums in Seoul and Tokyo. Baseball madness.

Would love to visit old school NFL stadiums in thr US in for a snow game; Lambeau, Heinz, Soldier etc. Would also like to see the new ones in Vegas and LA. 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

I’ve been lucky to watch NFL, NBA basketball and MLB baseball games in America.  I would rate them on a variety of factors and can compare them with U.K. stadiums because I’ve been to lots of them watching football, rugby league and cricket.  I’m pretty jealous of anyone who has seen baseball in Japan and Korea though!

I've been to baseball in Japan, not particularly memorable though. IPL game in India definitely a standout for me, as was being at a 70K+ crowd for a cricket match at the MCG. 

In RL, definitely agree with the old Aussie ovals - North Sydney, Leichardt, even Brookvale. Also the West Cumbrian grounds, although maybe that's more the journey along the A66 than anything else.

• 2 weeks later...

Favourites

Swindon Town - yes it's a dump that needs work but it's our dump! 😀 

Upton Park - atmosphere 

Principality Stadium - city centre location/pubs

Fenway Park - history

Want to visit/experience 

La Bombonera, Boca Juniors 

The Horseshoe, Ohio State

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Croke Park is amazing
I was fortunate enough to go to a game at the old Cardiff Arms Park, it was crumbling mess but it's one of the great RU stadiums of the world.
I was in Perth WA eighteen months or so ago and had a spare afternoon and went to watch some equivalent of County level cricket at the old WACA, even though I'm not a Cricket fan as such it set the hairs on the back of my neck going.

Love grounds like Headingley, Cougar Park, Whitehaven etc. Old grounds with history and atmosphere. I think some of these new ones ie- St Helens. Even spoke to some of their fans a few years back and they weren't keen on it. They seem a little sterile to me. I'd love to go to Castleford play Leeds at the Jungle. 

4 minutes ago, JohnM said:

As an aspiring paleontologist,

Station Road

Central Park

The Willows

Watersheddings

Wheldon Road

Thrum Hall

Odsal

Stonehenge

Silbury Hill

Avebury

Grimes Graves

I've been to all of those places, suspect I'm not the only one 🙂  The Willows is the only one I'd be scared to park a car in though.

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/08/2021 at 15:23, JohnM said:

As an aspiring paleontologist,

Station Road

Central Park

The Willows

Watersheddings

Wheldon Road

Thrum Hall

Odsal

Stonehenge

Silbury Hill

Avebury

Grimes Graves

Not sure what this list is about. If it's places you've watched RL at, I've done many of JohnM's list, but not all. I've also watched games at the following:

The Athletic Grounds, Rochdale (the first game of RL I ever watched); Clarence Street & Huntington Stadium, York; Craven Park (old & new), Hull; Wembley (old & new); McCain Stadium, Scarborough; the Boulevard, Hull; Boothferry Park, Hull; the Recre, Whitehaven; McLaren Field, Bramley and others I've forgotten.

Good memories, all of them.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

6 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

Not sure what this list is about. If it's places you've watched RL at, I've done many of JohnM's list, but not all. I've also watched games at the following:

The Athletic Grounds, Rochdale (the first game of RL I ever watched); Clarence Street & Huntington Stadium, York; Craven Park (old & new), Hull; Wembley (old & new); McCain Stadium, Scarborough; the Boulevard, Hull; Boothferry Park, Hull; the Recre, Whitehaven; McLaren Field, Bramley and others I've forgotten.

Good memories, all of them.

Not sure what this list is about.  And I can't remember! 🙂

Went to Workington in early 1960s. Would that be Derwent Park?   Seemed a big stadium..may that was because there were very few of us Swinton fans there.

On 14/08/2021 at 19:12, Shadow said:

Croke Park is amazing
I was fortunate enough to go to a game at the old Cardiff Arms Park, it was crumbling mess but it's one of the great RU stadiums of the world.
I was in Perth WA eighteen months or so ago and had a spare afternoon and went to watch some equivalent of County level cricket at the old WACA, even though I'm not a Cricket fan as such it set the hairs on the back of my neck going.

Amazing place is the Waca, got to see the last ashes test there (2017). Now the optus stadium will host it, not sure if it will work for atmosphere, certainly no MCG

Caught by a feckin speed camera. try these I did and it saved me a heap o money and penalty points.

Archived