Blake Austin to Leeds

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Not sure that makes sense to me? Surely if you're getting someone cheap you sign for longer? 

No.

Austin wouldn't take a long contract at a low level.

Leeds wouldn't commit to a long contract because they want Austin to prove himself.

At the end of 2022 both Gale and Austin are off contract. Only one of them (or neither) will be there the following year. Austin is effectively auditioning for a permanent contract for 2023 and beyond, when there is much more of a budget for him to be offered.

10 minutes ago, M j M said:

No.

Austin wouldn't take a long contract at a low level.

Leeds wouldn't commit to a long contract because they want Austin to prove himself.

At the end of 2022 both Gale and Austin are off contract. Only one of them (or neither) will be there the following year. Austin is effectively auditioning for a permanent contract for 2023 and beyond, when there is much more of a budget for him to be offered.

Players move for money - period. If Austin knew he wasn't going to get the same money he got at Wire, he'd have gone wherever offered him next most. That won't have been Leeds if it's anything like 75k you're talking about. Where have you got this 75-100k figure from by the way? 

2 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Players move for money - period. If Austin knew he wasn't going to get the same money he got at Wire, he'd have gone wherever offered him next most. That won't have been Leeds if it's anything like 75k you're talking about. Where have you got this 75-100k figure from by the way? 

Where do you think he was going to get a better offer?

10 minutes ago, M j M said:

Where do you think he was going to get a better offer?

Literally anywhere - Huddersfield/Salford to name a couple. A half back of Austin's stature isn't signing a one year deal for 75k to 'prove himself'. I agree it'll be between him and Gale for an extension but he won't have accepted that much in the meantime. 

1 minute ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Literally anywhere - Huddersfield/Salford to name a couple. A half back of Austin's stature isn't signing a one yer deal for 75k to 'prove himself'. I agree it'll be between him and Gale for an extension but he won't have accepted that much in the meantime. 

We'll just have to disagree but I know Leeds are very satisfied with the deal they've struck.

Leeds are fun to watch this year and looks like that will continue next year.

As much as I have enjoyed Leeds scratching around a bit recently, SL needs Leeds back competing properly at the sharp end of the table - we need Saints, Wigan, Leeds, Wire, Hull, Catalans all to be in and around each other and we would have one heck of a competition.

Going to be interesting to see how Mr Powell utilises Widdop, Williams and Ratchford. I suspect the latter may move up to Stand Off and Widdop could possibly shift to Full Back with Williams nailed on for SH.

I wish Blake well, personally I think, as do many, he wasn't utilised in a way whereby we got the best out of him.

Just now, M j M said:

You think he's Leeds' highest paid non-marquee player? That is delusional.

Why would Austin play for £75k, it’s a short career (that he’s far more than half way through) and he could get far more elsewhere. 

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

Of course you didn’t. None so blind as those who will not see. 

Can you find one single post where I’ve even mentioned Vlandys or Gould? And I haven’t abused the NRL either. You must be confusing me with someone else Oliver. 

Just now, Eddie said:

Why would Austin play for £75k, it’s a short career (that he’s far more than half way through) and he could get far more elsewhere. 

£75k was the lower band but either way he is on a lot, lot less than marquee money at Warrington.

This only worked for Leeds if it was at a very tight price. Playing into their hands was a very weak player market with most other clubs seriously cutting budgets leaving Austin few viable options, plus his own record this season which has made coaches wary of his reliability and everyone doubtful of his ability.

2 minutes ago, M j M said:

£75k was the lower band but either way he is on a lot, lot less than marquee money at Warrington.

This only worked for Leeds if it was at a very tight price. Playing into their hands was a very weak player market with most other clubs seriously cutting budgets leaving Austin few viable options, plus his own record this season which has made coaches wary of his reliability and everyone doubtful of his ability.

Fair enough, but it must be over £100k. 

12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Can you find one single post where I’ve even mentioned Vlandys or Gould? And I haven’t abused the NRL either. You must be confusing me with someone else Oliver. 

You’ve done nothing but slag Australia off, as you did with Super League in relation to Toronto’s exclusion. Ah, same old when you hit a brick wall, I see. 

1 hour ago, M j M said:

£75k to £100k.

Not a chance Leeds have got Austin for £75-£100K a year. Thats a massive drop from what he was reportedly on at Wire (nearer £150K). When you consider Hudds have offered Fages £200K a year, the going rate for experienced half backs is far higher than £75-100K

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

22 minutes ago, M j M said:

Sorry MJM but this is all in your opinion, unless you have actual inside info with regards: 

- What money he was on at Wire

- What Leeds were willing to pay for him 

- Various other clubs finances 

- Contact with SL coaches 

I'm not trying to invalidate your opinion - it's worth as much as mine, but I feel like you've gone further to the point of passing this off as fact and i'm now just hoping you can offer something more concrete as to where any of this has come from? 

17 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Not a chance Leeds have got Austin for £75-£100K a year. Thats a massive drop from what he was reportedly on at Wire (nearer £150K). When you consider Hudds have offered Fages £200K a year, the going rate for experienced half backs is far higher than £75-100K

He was reportedly on closer to £300k at Wire (which makes sense for a marquee half). Again though, I agree, absolutely no chance he's took a 200% pay cut to go to Leeds. Also @MJM you asked for who would be interested - clearly HKR were at some point 

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/hull-kr-blake-austin-offer-5564585

32 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

You’ve done nothing but slag Australia off, as you did with Super League in relation to Toronto’s exclusion. Ah, same old when you hit a brick wall, I see. 

Have I? Can you point me in the direction of all my posts slagging Australia off please, because I can’t remember them, must be dementia setting in. 

5 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

He was reportedly on closer to £300k at Wire (which makes sense for a marquee half). Again though, I agree, absolutely no chance he's took a 200% pay cut to go to Leeds. Also @MJM you asked for who would be interested - clearly HKR were at some point 

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/hull-kr-blake-austin-offer-5564585

If he was on 300K and took a 200% pay cut, he would be paying them 300K to let him play.

the irony when austin scores the winning try for the rhinos in the 2022 grand final against wire - powell slams his clipboard down so hard and loud this time it causes a security alert at manchester airport 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Archived