Blake Austin to Leeds

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Players move for money - period. If Austin knew he wasn't going to get the same money he got at Wire, he'd have gone wherever offered him next most. That won't have been Leeds if it's anything like 75k you're talking about. Where have you got this 75-100k figure from by the way? 

Is there any pull of the fact it's Leeds that makes it not ALL about money?

E.g. If Cas offered him £10k more than Leeds would that be enough to offset the great facilities at Leeds etc? 

23 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

They have deserved it

They will continue to deserve it

Possibly, but Wigman has said I’ve been slagging them all off constantly which isn’t the case, I haven’t even mentioned Vlandys or Gould once - he’s gone quiet when challenged though, as usual. 

59 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Is there any pull of the fact it's Leeds that makes it not ALL about money?

E.g. If Cas offered him £10k more than Leeds would that be enough to offset the great facilities at Leeds etc? 

Very true. 

And in Sezer he will be joining his best mate.

43 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Possibly, but Wigman has said I’ve been slagging them all off constantly which isn’t the case, I haven’t even mentioned Vlandys or Gould once - he’s gone quiet when challenged though, as usual. 

On 26/07/2021 at 08:50, Eddie said:

They’d just asset strip it, the WC decision has proven what we all suspected, that they have zero interest in the game outside Australia. 

Accountants, eh? An hour and half talking numbers. Never fun. Here you go, not really Mr Positive here and abusing Australia with snide remarks. 

7 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

Silverware? Hope he doesn’t retire soon 

Shocking as it is but Leeds have won as much as Warrington (and Wigan) since he moved to England, and more recently. I'm shocked too.

Winning with a mate probably has its own premium. I know it did for me on the other side of the world.

4 hours ago, M j M said:

£75k was the lower band but either way he is on a lot, lot less than marquee money at Warrington.

This only worked for Leeds if it was at a very tight price. Playing into their hands was a very weak player market with most other clubs seriously cutting budgets leaving Austin few viable options, plus his own record this season which has made coaches wary of his reliability and everyone doubtful of his ability.

I agree with the principle, he will absolutely be on lower wages tha. Wire and I expect good value, but he will still be doing OK, we know that there aren't too many good players knocking around and he could command an OK wage at a few clubs. 

2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Accountants, eh? An hour and half talking numbers. Never fun. Here you go, not really Mr Positive here and abusing Australia with snide remarks. 

Not sure what accountants has to do with anything but that isn't slagging them off or snide, you really have a strange view about what’s offensive. Now can you find any posts where I slagged Australia off, or even mentioned Vlandys or Gould? The answer is you can’t, so let’s leave it here, but you should make sure you’re accurate in future before you start saying stuff about other forum members. 

At each of the clubs he’s played at, Austin has started on fire and been great for the first season. With a one-year deal he’ll probably go very well at Leeds before he returns to Aus. However, as good as he can be individually, it’s not purely down to Price’s style that Austin has lost his mojo, as Widdop has been producing plenty of off-the-cuff play in addition to some steady half-back organisation (in spite of Price).

I’ve enjoyed seeing Austin at his best, but I’m glad Warrington have Williams alongside Widdop for next year. Leeds may be better off using him as a bench impact player which is where Canberra found him most effective.

Archived