Castleford propose 8-a-side reserve league

43 minutes ago, Ant said:

Or millstone "stadiums" like Cas or Wakefield

What constitutes a "cuckoo" stadium btw?

Anyway, back to the point...how does 8 aside prepare fringe players for the full game? This is a cheap ploy to avoid costs of running a full reserve grade, again.

How are Wakefield & Cas stadiums millstones in this conversation - they own their stadiums and would earn 100% revenue from any games or events.

Hull FC, Hudds, Wigan are tenants - their landlords earn the vast majority of any matchday revenue.

A cuckoo lives in another birds home.

I’m not sure what the motivation is here for an 8-a-side comp. There’s also zero commercial value as it’s reserve grade.

Why 8?!.. and not 9? as has been mentioned many times already. The cynic in me would suggest it’s about saving money and not having to pay a full squad of players.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Fairly obvious this is a penny pinching idea from a club who can't afford the players needed to run a reserve squad.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

8 hours ago, dboy said:

How are Wakefield & Cas stadiums millstones in this conversation - they own their stadiums and would earn 100% revenue from any games or events.

Hull FC, Hudds, Wigan are tenants - their landlords earn the vast majority of any matchday revenue.

A cuckoo lives in another birds home.

Because they cost a fortune to run, with all the revenue going to stop the crumbling dumps from being condemned.

Giants are joint owners of the John Smiths, so yeah, the Giants earn a significant chunk of matchday revenue. This is not a new development. 

I think people are missing an important point here, namely that artificially creating 'reserve' teams does NOT equate to developing players for first teams.

Take the Bulls as an example, we created a reserve squad for the 2020 (aborted) reserves league. Quite a few players were signed specifically to pad out the squad without there being any prospect of those guys ever being in the first team. What's the point

Interestingly, as an aside, I checked on that squad list and 12 of those players were simply binned off when the Reserve league was scrapped. A couple of them ended up signing for other clubs, but most of them have simply disappeared - presumably either back to the amateur game, or lost to the game entirely.

The point about a smaller-sided game is that you can keep a squad of 25-26 players and use the players who don't make the match day 17, bolstered by lads from the Academy where needed.

It's not really penny pinching, so much as not wasting resources on something that is just playing games for the sake of it

2 hours ago, Ant said:

Because they cost a fortune to run, with all the revenue going to stop the crumbling dumps from being condemned.

Giants are joint owners of the John Smiths, so yeah, the Giants earn a significant chunk of matchday revenue. This is not a new development. 

No, Cas and Wakey's grounds need maintenance, but as wholly owned facilities, they keep everything they earn.

Hudds still lose about 80% of income plus stadium management costs - they own 20% of the stadium.

Obviously not as bad as Wigan who even had to move a game because a wedding was booked in the hospitality suite, and I believe Hull don't even earn "wet" matchday revenue.

They will also have agreements that state they pay x amount per year; that won't be reduced just because you need the facility for fewer games.

5 hours ago, dboy said:

No, Cas and Wakey's grounds need maintenance, but as wholly owned facilities, they keep everything they earn.

Hudds still lose about 80% of income plus stadium management costs - they own 20% of the stadium.

Obviously not as bad as Wigan who even had to move a game because a wedding was booked in the hospitality suite, and I believe Hull don't even earn "wet" matchday revenue.

They will also have agreements that state they pay x amount per year; that won't be reduced just because you need the facility for fewer games.

So they get 20% of the revenue from an international quality stadium that hosts multiple events (including PL soccer not too long ago) and music concerts.

Instead of 100% of what a burger van can make in a dilapidated wreck 50 years past it's best.

How awful.

5 hours ago, Copa said:

I don’t know if it should be part of reserves or not but I do know I’d actually enjoy watching a game of 9s before the main game.

So would I mate, so would I.

5 hours ago, Ant said:

So they get 20% of the revenue from an international quality stadium that hosts multiple events (including PL soccer not too long ago) and music concerts.

Instead of 100% of what a burger van can make in a dilapidated wreck 50 years past it's best.

How awful.

No, the huge majority of income from football is retained by the football club.

Giants make very little on their shabby crowds rattling around in that stadium.

Mr Davy is the only thing keeping them afloat.

It's highly likely that Giants will be looking for a new home in the not too distant future - they are just in the way at this stadium and barely cover operational costs.

On 05/08/2021 at 03:52, Damien said:

Also this just seems a sneaky way of getting out of having a proper, bona fide reserve competition to increase standards in Super League. I'm open to the general idea but for the right reasons. It certainly shouldn't be just to cut costs and not have reserves as SL clubs committed to.

Cas Tigers appear to want to do everything on the cheap. nowadays. Perhaps if they haven't got any money they should ask to be put in the Championship and go part time.

Archived