What to do instead of the WC?

I’d like to see England play three games, ideally France away now they’re on the green list, maybe Wales away and probably France at home too. Not the most inspiring fixtures but France would be our strongest NH opposition and it would be good to help Wales out too. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suspect the Super League season will be extended, which will bite into the already limited time to organise something. 

As bare minimum, I’d like to see an international weekend, e.g. England v France (men, women & wheelchair), Wales v Jamaica, Scotland v Ireland. 

If Greece can play too, perhaps against Serbia, great. 

16 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I can see the SL season being extended by 2/3 weeks with the final at Old Trafford put back to October 30th (The week before Manchester United are at home to Liverpool)

So any Internationals from w/e November 5/6/7th onwards 

Paul

I’d welcome that as I can’t make the weekend that it’s scheduled for currently, and an extension to the season makes sense. 

Not sure what’s possible at this stage , could it be an option to keep some existing venues bookings and offer to transfer ticket sales and play some home games? I’d look at a 4 or 6 nations involving France and 2 of Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Italy and Jamaica.

16/10 France Vs England - Toulouse (One off test, never a better time to start playing France regularly)

23-24/10 England Vs Ireland - Newcastle or Hull

England Vs Jamaica - Bolton or Leeds

England Vs France - Leeds or Sheffield

Final - Anfield or Hull

I’d suggest, at the least, two tests vs France, in France.

I also kind of half expect some SL clubs to pipe up about players playing in these games, though they would be very brave to do so with the current levels of emotion from UK fans.

I’d also hope any England games include their NRL players, though imagine that would be a battle the RFL might not want to look at in the current climate.

IMO any games played would have to be in France though.

Would double up with Women’s and wheel chair games also, if possible.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

52 minutes ago, Mark S said:

England, France and All Stars to play a mini tournament.

We could play on the rebellious nature of RL and send out a very public invitation to NRL players to be involved in the All Stars.

Absolutely not the All Stars (or any other similarly naff named composite team), England need to be playing other nations to build international rivalry brands and the other NH nations need to be playing games against each other and England.

The only way in future a composite team should ever feature would be if it was part of a RL Ryder Cup type tournament with England v Rest of Europe but that would need to be set in place and promoted well in advance and would only be used in addition to multiple proper internationals each year for all of the NH RL nations.

35 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Appears England are on the look out for games from what Gareth Walker has said on social media, quoting a video of Jamie Peacock championing the French. 

Perhaps they could travel to Sydney and play PNG at Campbelltown? Curtain raiser to Australia v NZ.

15 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

Absolutely not the All Stars (or any other similarly naff named composite team), England need to be playing other nations to build international rivalry brands and the other NH nations need to be playing games against each other and England.

The only way in future a composite team should ever feature would be if it was part of a RL Ryder Cup type tournament with England v Rest of Europe but that would need to be set in place and promoted well in advance and would only be used in addition to multiple proper internationals each year for all of the NH RL nations.

I'd disagree with this if (and its a big if at this point), Aus & NZ are coming to a WC2022, then providing England with quality opposition is helpful and it has its place.

However, that should not be at the expense of promoting other NH international teams. I.e. in perfect world (ha!) you would have multiple internationals and windows throughout the season/post-season, thereby meaning England vs. All Stars would be just one of 8 internationals throughout the year.
Then you have a win-win.

If you cannot get a window agreed and/or you cant trust Aus/NZ to turn up(!!) with just a meager couple of internationals, then I would agree with supporting France amongst others and skipping the All Stars.

A tournament featuring Wales, France and maybe Jamaica. You could even involve Ireland and Scotland too if you want to think big. Let's see if the BBC are open to using some of the time slots set aside for the World Cup. Sone of the same venues could be used too. 5 matches would also still see the season finishing slightly earlier than the World Cup.

Time to turn a negative into a positive. Let's use this opportunity to develop France and a regular series between the two countries. 

The first option would be a two game series with France the other option would be to include Wales in a European Tri-nations series 

Just now, The Daddy said:

Time to turn a negative into a positive. Let's use this opportunity to develop France and a regular series between the two countries. 

The first option would be a two game series with France the other option would be to include Wales in a European Tri-nations series 

Agree with you. 

This is the perfect time for different major international competitions to be played like they do in Football. 

If we genuinely want to grow audiences in the UK, France, etc this is the best way of doing it.

Europe, Asia, Pacific, South America North America etc

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

I'd just like us to get some games, not really bothered about what they are, just want to see us play. I think France in France is a must and maybe one against them here as well and maybe games against Wales and Jamaica. 

Like I say, don't mind what the games are, just want to see England play again this year. Did anyone here intend on going to the Fiji warm up game? Another game that won't be happening. 

What to do instead of the WC? Go and watch some football instead?

The West of Scotland Football League is less travelling for me, the tribalism is as intense as anything you'll encounter in RL and, if the recent Auchenleck v Clydebank game is anything to go by, the action on the pitch is just as brutal.

Archived