What to do instead of the WC?

47 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Time to turn a negative into a positive. Let's use this opportunity to develop France and a regular series between the two countries. 

The first option would be a two game series with France the other option would be to include Wales in a European Tri-nations series 

Yeah a tri nations with those three, and a tri-nations tier 2 with Scotland, Ireland and Jamaica - with the bottom team going down for next time and the top team going up. Could even have double header matches then, ie Jamaica v Ireland before England v Wales at the same venue. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for all the various suggestions being put forward for alternative international games and tournaments, presumably restricted to players from just the Northern Hemisphere, you'd be as well holding them behind closed doors for all the attention they'll receive.

Building an international game relying on heritage teams, and populated largely by Australasian players, was supposed to be a temporary measure, a stopgap solution which would allow real development in those nations to take place.

The NRL providing the bulk of international players not only gave them a power they were always likely to use to their advantage, it allowed the game to ignore the need to build the underlying strength of the game internationally. If any internationals are hastily arranged for this autumn we will be confronted with the results of that neglect. 

It will be brutal.

If it were up to me I’d have a 4 nations tournament with Wales, Ireland, Scotland & Jamaica at the same time as a three test series with France for England. All done and dusted in a month, decent break before the 2022 season. Ensure there are breaks in the season for further internationals

55 minutes ago, Methven Hornet said:

As for all the various suggestions being put forward for alternative international games and tournaments, presumably restricted to players from just the Northern Hemisphere, you'd be as well holding them behind closed doors for all the attention they'll receive.

Building an international game relying on heritage teams, and populated largely by Australasian players, was supposed to be a temporary measure, a stopgap solution which would allow real development in those nations to take place.

The NRL providing the bulk of international players not only gave them a power they were always likely to use to their advantage, it allowed the game to ignore the need to build the underlying strength of the game internationally. If any internationals are hastily arranged for this autumn we will be confronted with the results of that neglect. 

It will be brutal.

I think your being negative and pessimistic 

No matter what they organise England should be aiming fairly high no matter what opposition they can get in place. If anything International RL needs the support more than ever so hopefully a lot of fans will still be eager to get to a game against France, Wales, Scotland, Jamaica, Ireland, Italy or anyone. If it’s an England home game they should be aiming for at least 20k no matter the opposition.

No more Leigh Sports Village games and no more “what’s the point?” or there really is no hope.

3 hours ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

I'm going to brush up on my nunchuck skills

Is that the female version of monk-hurl?

I'd suggest:-

European Championship

France v England and perhaps England v France (first year)

This gives England one/two games focused on the development of NH International Football, they can seek SH opposition to give them an additional game (or not).

France can play in a promotion/relegation match with the winners of the Celtic Cup.

Celtic Cup

Wales v Scotland, Wales v Ireland, Scotland v Ireland.

The winners challenge France (losers of the European championship) for the right to play England next year. 

Losers, play the winners of the America's cup for an additional match.

(This will gauge the relative strength of the Celtic/America's cup).

Each team gets two games in the Celtic Cup, winners and losers play up and down for an additional game.

America's Cup

Canada v USA, USA v Jamaica, Canada v Jamaica.

Each team gets two games in the America's cup.

Winners to play losers in Celtic cup to gauge relative strength of the two areas. 

1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

I think your being negative and pessimistic 

I don’t. I think he is spot on. Only England and Wales from the Four British Isles locations can remotely field a ‘home grown’ side; and Wales are pretty poor internationally if we are honest. It’s why the Ireland - Scotland - Wales triumvirate don’t make a ripple when they play internationals at home.

A few people have suggested that Italy should be involved in the fixtures, seems fairly pointless as all their players are Australian and they haven’t got a single RL club. Greece and Serbia at least have a domestic RL scene and players, I’d like to see them helped out. 

5 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

I don’t. I think he is spot on. Only England and Wales from the Four British Isles locations can remotely field a ‘home grown’ side; and Wales are pretty poor internationally if we are honest. It’s why the Ireland - Scotland - Wales triumvirate don’t make a ripple when they play internationals at home.

We have to get this thing going.

We have to start with what we've got.

We need to provide International competition for everyone involved at a level which makes the games reasonably competitive, allowing teams/Nations to gauge their relative strength.

The benefit of doing it is that it will provide an incentive to the competing Nations (at home) to keep developing quality and quantity of clubs and players.

Just wishing it was better, and/or dratting the fact that it's not very good, is just disempowering/paralysing.

For goodness sake, let's make a start and grow it.

I would like to think that the various RL Bodies are co-ordinating and talking to each other to prevent the folowing scenario.

Scotland RL _ We have arranged a game v Wales at the Edinburgh Gunners ground at Murrayfield on Saturday 30th October

Super League - Hold on we have moved the Super League Grand Final at Old Trafford to that date..

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

5 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Advertising slogan they can use for free ....'Never mind the Aussies, this is the dogs male genitals' 

A winner.

Or Australian's didn't give a XXXX for International rugby league, but we do.

My honest opinion would be to let everyone have a break, recharge their batteries and come back with the intention of making 2022 our best year yet, both domestically and internationally.

8 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I'd just like us to get some games, not really bothered about what they are, just want to see us play. I think France in France is a must and maybe one against them here as well and maybe games against Wales and Jamaica. 

Like I say, don't mind what the games are, just want to see England play again this year. Did anyone here intend on going to the Fiji warm up game? Another game that won't be happening. 

I was planning on going to the Fiji game, yeah. 

will the nrl based english players be over here after their season has finished?

will their clubs put pressure on them to stay over there?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

35 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Noone is buying a nh tounament without Eng.  Its very simple,  Eng need to take responsibility in growing the other nations.

Yes England need to be involved, but it might be counterproductive to put a heavily one sided display on between say England and Jamaica (perhaps).

I suggest England's involvement should be at the appropriate level (the top, in the short term).

I (already suggested it above) like the idea of rolling up, from the bottom, America's Cup (with Trophy which each team has a realistic chance of winning), Celtic Cup (with Trophy, which each team has a realistic chance of winning) to European (or Northern Hemisphere) Cup (which includes England) with a trophy which France (in time, or the best of the others as they develop have a chance of winning).

Cross-conference matches between bottom of higher v top of lower Cup competition will measure the relative strength of the respective Cup competitions and demonstrate the rate of development of one, relative to the other. 

Eastern European Nations can be incorporated in an Eastern European Cup.

When the overall standard improves the demarcation lines can be redrawn to keep the competition evenly matched. 

8 hours ago, Spidey said:

If it were up to me I’d have a 4 nations tournament with Wales, Ireland, Scotland & Jamaica at the same time as a three test series with France for England. All done and dusted in a month, decent break before the 2022 season. Ensure there are breaks in the season for further internationals

Same but 2 tests against.... One home one away

6 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

John Kear - Wales coach - wants no games this autumn but an international window in June or July so players can have a rest. 

Not much different from the Aussie arguments for withdrawing 🤷‍♂️

I assume except those playing in the internationals... or does he mean a window and no games so they can all rest... seems odd if only a sub set can rest but not the others as it would not be from a health perspective.

Archived