What to do instead of the WC?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

John Kear - Wales coach - wants no games this autumn but an international window in June or July so players can have a rest. 

Not much different from the Aussie arguments for withdrawing 🤷‍♂️

Is he getting paid to be Wales manager?

8 hours ago, fighting irish said:

I'd suggest:-

European Championship

France v England and perhaps England v France (first year)

This gives England one/two games focused on the development of NH International Football, they can seek SH opposition to give them an additional game (or not).

France can play in a promotion/relegation match with the winners of the Celtic Cup.

Celtic Cup

Wales v Scotland, Wales v Ireland, Scotland v Ireland.

The winners challenge France (losers of the European championship) for the right to play England next year. 

Losers, play the winners of the America's cup for an additional match.

(This will gauge the relative strength of the Celtic/America's cup).

Each team gets two games in the Celtic Cup, winners and losers play up and down for an additional game.

America's Cup

Canada v USA, USA v Jamaica, Canada v Jamaica.

Each team gets two games in the America's cup.

Winners to play losers in Celtic cup to gauge relative strength of the two areas. 

And there's your basic problem before we start: a European Championship but you're assuming that France will be in the losers play off. And you would be proved 100% correct.

28 minutes ago, Methven Hornet said:

I get your point, but to be honest I've got more out of supporting St Johnstone these past few months than I have in 50 years watching rugby league.

My God!! Just checked ;

Galatasaray 1 St Johnstone 1

Either St Johnstone have a good team or Galatasaray have really gone downhill. 

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

John Kear - Wales coach - wants no games this autumn but an international window in June or July so players can have a rest. 

I'd love to see England v France next summer. Perhaps two games in Perpignan and Toulouse, if that's viable. It would be brilliant if that could be an annual thing, because I've always believed that France offer the best hope of adding another top level nation to the Aus, NZ, Eng, Tonga group.

11 hours ago, Spidey said:

If it were up to me I’d have a 4 nations tournament with Wales, Ireland, Scotland & Jamaica at the same time as a three test series with France for England. All done and dusted in a month, decent break before the 2022 season. Ensure there are breaks in the season for further internationals

Agreed, possibly look at strategically playing fixtures towards some of the venues for WC2022 (well if they remain venues that is)

I agree with Leyther Matt and John Kear , finish the season let the players have a proper break ( at most one game for each country ) then be ready and raring to go next year , then smash the slimy convicts 😉

37 minutes ago, Methven Hornet said:

And there's your basic problem before we start: a European Championship but you're assuming that France will be in the losers play off. And you would be proved 100% correct.

I'm acknowledging all the basic problems before we start.

We have to deal with the players and the teams we have. We don't have any others.

Do you imagine an alternative outcome (in the first season or two)?

So what are you saying? 

Are you saying we shouldn't do it, just because England are the strong favourites? That's an argument to do nothing.

If that is your suggestion, then there's no point in you taking part in this discussion/debate at all.

I don't know if this is an awful idea, but if it does prove difficult to arrange any competitive games, what about a single non-competitive game this autumn, as follows?:

The intention of the game is to show unity within the RL family, and also show a commitment to RL being a sport for people in all countries. It would give fans the possibility to demonstrate their support for the sport, and show that whatever challenges are currently out there, will be overcome.

I would obviously play this game in the heartlands somewhere (perhaps at Headingley or something like that), and I was thinking to include in the teams at least one player from as many countries as is realistically possible. I don't know all the nationalities that are represented in SL, but that would be a start. Perhaps there would need to be a bit of grandparent rule in action too, but that happens in international RL anyway.

I'd have the flags of all the nations on display, and use it to remind everyone that the World Cup will be here next year.

As I said at the start, it obviously wouldn't be a competitive game, more a fun occasion and a statement that rugby league sees itself (or at least aspires to be) a sport that is played in more than a few places.

If this idea is bad, would any tweaks to it or something along similar lines be possible? I'm just thinking it would be nice to have something that's positive, rather than the current focus, which is a lot of anger and insults (from both sides).

Archived