What’s the point?

It's easy to see how people's enthusiasm is sapped by recent events, mine is too. This forum probably doesn't help either!

I'll always remain a committed supporter of the game, because I love it, regardless of how it's run. I try not to get too emotionally attached, particularly to things I cannot influence. I feel peoples' frustrations but remember it's a short life and people should do what makes them happy. If rugby league is no longer that, than it's a shame, but so be it.............that's life. Sports will always gain and lose supporters. Sadly RL has a clan who love to death ride it and weirdly appear to take glee from when that appears to happen.

But as a former Leeds United season ticker holder, who endured the lows of League 1 before getting put off the game and finding my love of RL, I remain a dedicated supporter of the sport regardless

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I'm a bit worried about the sport and my club...... However then I see a couple of cracking games like the last two on SKY and remember why I love it so much 

I'll be going to the remaining Broncos games and the some SL games before the season is out

It's a great spectacle and all the nonsense around it at least keeps us busy on here 

You're right, it is still a great sport. That Leeds/Wire game the other night was cracking entertainment.

But I find I'm increasingly becoming a passive rather than active follower of the game. Yes, I watch games on Sky so am helping a bit there, but other than my subscription to Forty20 magazine, I can't think of any way I've actually paid in to the sport this year.

5 minutes ago, Dr Tim Whatley said:

You're right, it is still a great sport. That Leeds/Wire game the other night was cracking entertainment.

But I find I'm increasingly becoming a passive rather than active follower of the game. Yes, I watch games on Sky so am helping a bit there, but other than my subscription to Forty20 magazine, I can't think of any way I've actually paid in to the sport this year.

Go and watch some SL games before the end of the season! 

I've gone from being a dedicated Season Ticket holder, and also going to around two-thirds of away games, to being someone who hasn't been to a Bulls match in almost two years

COVID hasn't helped with the aborted 2020 season and games being played (such as they were) in Dewsbury. We've also moved house so no longer live in West Yorkshire. I'm not especially thrilled by the move back to Odsal, which has been the source of many of the club's problems over the past decade, but right now I'm not sure when, if ever, I'll go a match again.

I still have Sjky, and most times will have the game on, but I'm often doing something else as well at the time and barely paying attention. The World Cup was going to be what reignited my passion for RL and look how that turned out...

Been a Rugby league Supporter for as long as i have memories. Been watching Widnes since i was a kid, moved to Bolton and still travel back for all home games and most away games ( when possible ). I coach Junior Rugby league and my son plays the game, i should be head over heels in love with the game but im not. I barely watch SL anymore, its on the TV but usually in the background, the sport is Boring, the tactics are all the same, there are no players that excite me anymore. 

Wigan V St Helens, just another game, does not feel special anymore. Hull  V KR, a bit more spite but still the same. I used to get excited by watching the big games, the atmosphere, the aggression, Thats all but gone. 

All seater stadia have rendered the atmosphere at matches stale, It might work in the premier league where the grounds are full, but in Rugby league it killed us. It just does not feel the same. Watching Widnes now is a horrific experience where the only noise the crowd makes are to abuse referees and clap a try ( rarely cheer anymore ). Its all so flat. 

The only thing keeping me going to Widnes is the chance to Visit my family and spend quality time with my dad. I get far more pleasure and excitement from watching the local Amateur side play on a Saturday, and my 15 year old lad feels the same. 

Honestly right now, we need to re-think the entire structure of the game, and not to Sky Sports tune. If we need to go back to part time to regain control of our sport then do it. If we lose players to Union, then so be it, we will always have players who would happily play for the love of the game and not to earn a good Wedge. but this watered down, overly structured  bore fest that is SL and modern RL has no future. The game is Dying, and its no longer a slow death.

Although I'd probably say it has declined a bit the past few years, the average RL match is still pretty good in my opinion when put up against other sports.

Being a fan of rugby league and seeing everything it does to hold itself back rather than grow, can quickly wear you down and make you start losing interest though. My interest is very low at the moment but hopefully it can be reignited at some point.

The sheer weight of discontent on this thread is a very worrying sight.

Whilst not everyone on here agrees with each other, I feel that 99% of us love Rugby League and when the sport is struggling to attract new, younger audiences, it is alarming that some of the sport’s most passionate supporters are losing interest at the same time.

Chin up please people. We are coming to the end of a second consecutive, very irregular season. I hold very high hopes for Rugby League in 2022. As the world continues to move to normality, I hope that we can see Rugby League gain momentum in an unaffected 2022 club season, with Shaun Wane all the while breeding a culture of sheer animosity for the Kangaroos and Kiwis that will also spill out into public hearts and minds, that will bring us the most partisan WC we have ever seen, which will further help capture the imagination and interests of those same younger audiences struggling to gain affection for the sport today.

There is always a silver lining. It just needs capturing.

Another Southerner here finding it hard to care. 

This despite my team topping Superleague. 

I am just glad that other sports (specifically codes of rugby) aren't as interesting or engaging as RL or I would be gone. 

Where is the leadership? Where is Ken Davy, Ralph Rimmer? where are the statements about returning the game to its former glories, to leading a charge across the UK to get people playing and watching?

The games powerbrokers are so inward thinking its ridiculous. 

And the longer they procrastinate and fiddle around with the size of superleague and how the smaller monies are distributed, the more cold hard cash is needed for a top marketeer to turn this around. 

Buccs are massive, everywhere we goooooo....Boston Buccaneers

Problems for me are:

• Parochial ideals
  • Self-centred clubs and leadership, including NRL on a global level and Super League on a national level
  • Total lack of a meaningful International structure
  • Stuttering TV coverage
  • Quickly declining standard of Super League games

I think the future of the game lies in the amateur ranks, if everything else goes up in smoke. I really enjoy watching those types of games and coaching youngsters. 

I didn't go to the challenge cup final for the first time in 24 years this year, and I didn't even watch the game on TV. I probably won't go to Magic weekend, for only the 2nd time in its history. I will probably just about pull myself to attend the grand final. I've just told 100 kids/parents in Nottinghamshire that their World Cup trip is off...

6 hours ago, Allora said:

On a positive note it’s a shame the WC is not going ahead but it will give England chance to develop some Players 1-6 in the backs.

The current English squad would not beat many of the Pacific Island teams never mind Oz and the Kiwis.

Does that matter ? 

I dont know if im on my own here, but i also think the major shift from Great Britain to the home nations has killed the international game. As Great Britain we had an identity, other than the Olympic squad who had a major Great British Representative team? but we shifted focus, de-valued the Great Britain brand and now what are we left with?

If you talked about Great Britain in sport you were Generally just talking Rugby League, Has having a Scottish, Welsh and Irish team improved the game in those countries? has it improved the international game or Calender?

As i said i may be on my own here, but playing as England has not improved the international game for me.

Can I be the odd one out and say that I’m more invested in the sport than ever! Don’t know if its not being allowed to go to games but over the lockdowns etc it made me realise how much the sport meant to me and how it shapes a lit if who i am.

the WC news has deflated me, but listening to Dutton speak I’m actually thinking they didn’t have a choice and hopefully this time next year we’ll be looking forward to a great tournament and be in the middle of a more settled season.

the game does have big issues to over come but I don’t think i can remember a year where this hasn’t been the case.

3 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

So to turn the thread around, what do those that are disillusioned want to see happen?

An English structure set in stone for at least 10 years without messing about with it every 10 minutes, regular internationals and the NRL brought to heel?

2 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Well I know I'm a reight miserable morngy b'stard, but I'm amazed that almost every post on this thread reflects waning interest and a level of pizzedoffness right across the game that is alarming and very sad, but worst of all, unsurprising.

That's because you live in Yorkshire 

I'm really , really enjoying my RL this year , it's been great , consistent performances and results , we're where I expected us to be , It could get better I suppose but I won't hold my breath , shame the convicts have done the dirty on us , but it's not unexpected , hope we smash the ###### out of them next year 

11 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

So to turn the thread around, what do those that are disillusioned want to see happen?

I want a clear plan about how the game will survive and thrive and for it to be led by people who can deliver it. 

6 minutes ago, iffleyox said:

An English structure set in stone for at least 10 years without messing about with it every 10 minutes, regular internationals and the NRL brought to heel?

Ive actually thought for quite a while that a SL 1 and SL2 might be a good idea I’d like to see us go with that and stick with it.

there should be at least 2 weekend breaks during the season for internationals.

We need to get more exposure on TV both traditional and modern media (streaming, YouTube etc)

We have got to get the players more widely known in the sporting landscape they are our biggest asset

8 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

As Stated above by iffleyox, give us a structure and stick to it, from P&R to playoffs to rules in games, lets just settle down and stop making knee jerk reactions and decisions every season. I know people who have watched the game for 40 years who struggle to keep up with the rule changes. Have a Whole game review, from grass roots to pro that is independent, and act on its findings.

Stop concentrating on a faster game, and start concentrating on a more skilful and exciting game. All i see at matches now is Complete Sets, attack the ruck, get to the kick, compete for kick. Its Boring, Its tedious and its far from exciting. 

Archived